Unwell Rotties

oonga

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for asking about Sophie Oonga and to everyone for your kind comments.

She's about the same but her tumour is growing. Her appetite is good and she's happy. I go gently with her and she thinks obedience commands are optional, though I rarely ask her to do anything. It's no biggie, she's well behaved so she can do what she wants.

We went to a new oval today. We go to a new place once or twice a week. She loves to explore and roll. She calls the shots and lets me know when she's had enough. Where we were today the grass was really long and she didn't want to pass up the opportunity to roll and roll. I think I kept her out a little too long because she's really tired tonight.

All in all she's still doing amazingly well.

Thanks for the update cavNrott ;)

She would have loved that extra long grass :(

Could it also have been the mental stimulation of the new place, smells, etc that tired her out more?

Things are sounding good!

hugs to you all

Haven't been on DOL for ages, so its terrific to hear Sophie is still doing so well and enjoying going out and about, Cavnt do you have any friends with a movie camera that you could take a video of Sophie that way it wouldn't matter if she moves you could still keep the camera rolling and unless your a good photographer and can take great still shots, it really doesn't matter with video cameras as you just point and follow the subject around. I got a really good one last year from Aldi for only $178, its digital, video and webcam. Keep up the great work with Sophie Cavnt your devotion to her is inspiring.

Good news, that she is still enjoying everything, it makes it easier on you when all is going well.

I know what you mean about Sophie calling the shots (Ollie has discovered selective hearing)...

Give her a big hug from us

Thanks to all in here for keeping Sophie in your thoughts.

Chell, that was a lovely compliment. Thank you. I think Sophie's doing well because she's strongly fighting her cancer. My contribution to her present state of health is minimal compared to her fighting spirit.

The best thing we did was to consult an oncologist. I doubt Sophie would still be here without the onco's expert advice and treatment. Sophie was given a very gloomy prognosis. I've found there are things we can do to help our cancer dogs do quite well when they are willing to fight their illness. Though no one, including the oncologist thought that Sophie would still be doing so well at this stage. I think I mentioned the onco calls Sophie the miracle girl.

Sophie has no issue with all the medication she needs to take. She happily takes the tablets now that I'm able I keep her nausea under control.

Jodie, I was cooking the vegies you mentioned as part of the cancer diet this morning. I'm certain this cancer starving diet makes a difference. I'm also convinced that cottage cheese mixed with Flaxseed oil is of huge benefit too. She has that for breakfast, sometimes with salmon mixed in and an organic egg.

You and Ollie are always in my thoughts and I hope you are both doing well.

Thanks to all in here for keeping Sophie in your thoughts.

Chell, that was a lovely compliment. Thank you. I think Sophie's doing well because she's strongly fighting her cancer. My contribution to her present state of health is minimal compared to her fighting spirit.

The best thing we did was to consult an oncologist. I doubt Sophie would still be here without the onco's expert advice and treatment. Sophie was given a very gloomy prognosis. I've found there are things we can do to help our cancer dogs do quite well when they are willing to fight their illness. Though no one, including the oncologist thought that Sophie would still be doing so well at this stage. I think I mentioned the onco calls Sophie the miracle girl.

Sophie has no issue with all the medication she needs to take. She happily takes the tablets now that I'm able I keep her nausea under control.

Jodie, I was cooking the vegies you mentioned as part of the cancer diet this morning. I'm certain this cancer starving diet makes a difference. I'm also convinced that cottage cheese mixed with Flaxseed oil is of huge benefit too. She has that for breakfast, sometimes with salmon mixed in and an organic egg.

You and Ollie are always in my thoughts and I hope you are both doing well.

Thanks CnR. We think of you guys all the time too (and dogsbesotted Lucinda, bless her, she is about 6 years post dxd now)...

I think I might offer the spoilt lad some of that cottage cheese with flaxseed oil that you are using. Can you tell me how much of it you give to Sophie, please?

Cheers

J

Thanks CnR. We think of you guys all the time too (and dogsbesotted Lucinda, bless her, she is about 6 years post dxd now)...

I think I might offer the spoilt lad some of that cottage cheese with flaxseed oil that you are using. Can you tell me how much of it you give to Sophie, please?

The recipe that I have said 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese (or quark) with a tablespoon of Flaxseed oil.

Since Sophie is 48kg I double the quantity for her. She likes the cottage cheese more than the quark, the quark is very dense and is expensive too. It costs about $10 for a small container at Macro.

Evidently there is a reaction between the cottage cheese and the Flaxseed that's helpful for cancer dogs. You need to mix it very well. If I can find the website with the info I'll pm you the addy.

The Flaxseed needs to be the cold pressed liquid in the fridge at the health food store. I think it's only good for a month maximum after opening so get the small bottle.

Thanks for that CnR.

I think we pretty well use the same sort of diet. But I don't use the cottage cheese and flaxseed oil - we tend to use some organic yoghurt a few times a week and he takes a fish oil supplement that has omega 3 & 6 as well as glucosamine (it is an all in one, makes life easier with all the other stuff he takes).

I will check out the deli at the markets tomorrow and see how he goes on it.

Cheers

Jodie

Thanks for that CnR.

I think we pretty well use the same sort of diet. But I don't use the cottage cheese and flaxseed oil - we tend to use some organic yoghurt a few times a week and he takes a fish oil supplement that has omega 3 & 6 as well as glucosamine (it is an all in one, makes life easier with all the other stuff he takes).

I will check out the deli at the markets tomorrow and see how he goes on it.

I know what you mean by all the other stuff he takes. Poor Sophie is on so many tablets every day. Sophie has the fish oil and glucosamine combined capsule too. She has coQ10 and milk thistle as well as all the prescribed stuff. Poor girl just about rattles. Do you give Ollie any vitamin supplements?

Sophie too has organic yoghurt, we use Mungali Creek yoghurt. She has it every night with goats milk. All dogs have that as a nightcap when give Sophie her last dose of meds between midnight and 1am.

Jodie, I just found the website that has the cottage cheese and flaxseed oil info. You need to scroll right down to the bottom of the page and read the BUDWIG PROTOCOL. Dr Budwig is the scientist who discover the link between flaxseed and cottage cheese.

http://www.caninecancer.com/nutrition

See what you think of it. I've been feeding it to Sophie since end of January. I do sometimes mix in an organic egg...or salmon. You may need to add a little water or milk, it's a bit gunky.

Her diet itself is for humans and says no meat etc., but Dr. Ogilvie has said the flaxseed and cheese works well with a good healthy cancer starving diet for a dog.

Cheers,

Anne

edited because I keep leaving the last letter off words.

Edited by cavNrott

Hi cavNrott, pleased Sophie continues to thrive. Interesting about the cottage cheese and flaxseed oil. You probably don't need to know this, because you would be using the oil before it went off, but someone in a health food shop who probably knew said keeping it in the freezer extended it's life. It doesn't freeze, you can still pour it.

She would be loving the different sights and smells at new places.

Maybe we need a sticky with cancer retarding diets, and tips and hints or maybe we do have one that I haven't seen.

Jodie, I just found the website that has the cottage cheese and flaxseed oil info. You need to scroll right down to the bottom of the page and read the BUDWIG PROTOCOL. Dr Budwig is the scientist who discover the link between flaxseed and cottage cheese.

http://www.caninecancer.com/nutrition

See what you think of it. I've been feeding it to Sophie since end of January. I do sometimes mix in an organic egg...or salmon. You may need to add a little water or milk, it's a bit gunky.

Her diet itself is for humans and say no meat etc., but Dr. Ogilvie has said the flaxseed and cheese works wee with a good healthy cancer starving diet for a dog.

Cheers,

Anne

Wow there is some really interesting reading on that site, thanks for that.

I am going to start him on the flaxseed oil and cottage cheese as soon as I get some from the markets. I think he will love it.

Ollie takes the fish oil/glucosamine, vitamin C and E and he also takes thyroxine (not a vitamin but a required supplement) because the chemo damaged his thyroid gland and it no longer functions. He also takes Omprezole and carafate due to stomach issues (once again caused by the chemo, but it is still debated if it was chemo or it is the cancer). He takes maxalon twice a day and he takes polarmine every night because his type of cancer releases histamine into the system and gives the symptoms of an allergic reaction.

His diet consists of human grade meats & fish (always cooked), yoghurt, eggs, he has manuka honey when his stomach is really playing up. He does get mashed sweet potato and zucchini with dinner most nights. He won't chew raw bones anymore so he does get those pedigree dentasticks to keep his teeth nice (they actually work). Treat wise, he gets dog carob treats for taking his tablets - it is the one thing we have found that he looks forward too and I just can't bring myself to take them off him. He also has a milk arrowroot biscuit when I have a cup of tea of a night. When he was really sick, these were the only things we could get him to eat, soaked in a little warm water with his mauka honey.

I guess we must be doing something right because he is still here and as the vet says, 'disgustingly healthy for a dog with cancer'. He was only supposed to be here around 18 months dxd and it is now around 30 months. He has his problems but we just deal with it and keep going.

Thanks again for the information.

Wishing you and Sophie many more good days.

Jed: That's a good idea to put the flaxseed oil in the freezer. I'd never heard of that. I was advised to keep the bottle in the packet even though it's kept in the fridge. The freezer thing might allow me to buy the bigger bottle so it works out less expensive.

Jodie: That cancer dog site is great isn't it. I've read so much info and got plenty of tips from there.

Sophie takes 5-6 maxolon tablets a day. The nausea was bothering her for a while but on this dose she doesn't have any more nausea. Zucchini is said to be a great veg for fighting cancer. Sophie has it every day now.