Unwell Rotties

oonga

Nova is home safe and apparently not feeling too sorry for herself (yet!) :thumbsup:

Our Vet is very happy with the outcome of the surgery and is confident that, while the biggest lump removed was definitely cancerous, he has removed all of the nasty bits.

Poor girl has a one very big line of stitches on her stomach where the biggest lump was removed, two smaller patches where others were taken and has lost a nipple! Lucky she has an extra :laugh:

Thanks again for thinking of us, it makes me feel so much better just knowing that you're all out there hoping for a good outcome for us :laugh:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bob looked at it under the microscope and said there were definitely cancerous cells present. He did ask me if I wanted to have it sent off for testing but said there wasn't really any need unless I planned on her having radio or chemotherapy in the future should it be necessary and as I wouldn't there isn't any point. It was a big mass though, he is going to keep it for show and tell!

She will get plenty of hugs, but at the moment is snoring her head off in her crate. You can bet that Loki, OH and I will be giving her lots of love as soon as she wakes up :thumbsup:

Edited by haven

Haven, if I were you I would have it sent to pathology. Then you can be sure that it has clear margins. Pathology is the only way to know for sure.

You wouldn't plan on chemo unless there is evidence of rogue cells.

Edited by cavNrott

Glad Nova is recovering well Haven.

Another Rotti that is going to be double spoilt. How can you not, they are so special

(no prejudice here :rainbowbridge: )

I understand what you say about sending the sample for tests, I wouldn't either as I know I wouldn't go down the chemotherapy road. An to clarify I have no issue with those that do, that is their choice.

Guys, glad all the recent news has been good :love:

I thought perhaps you could give me some indication of what is going on with my new foster rottie. I got her out of the pound Saturday. She has a big hard lump on the outside of her thigh around three or four inches in diameter. She is limping pretty badly because of it.

I will be phoning the vet tomorrow to see whether he wants me to bring her in straight away. (She has kennel cough and hasn't yet done her quarantine for parvo)

What do you think?

Shek I'm very much concerned that it is cancer and that Akira will have to be put down. Do you think with a lump that size, causing a limp, that it would have spread throughought her body by now?

Haven, if I were you I would have it sent to pathology. Then you can be sure that it has clear margins. Pathology is the only way to know for sure.

You wouldn't plan on chemo unless there is evidence of rogue cells.

Haven, sorry to hear about your girl but it sounds like good news so far. Please keep us updated and don't forget there are plenty of people here who have unfortunately been down this road who can help with their experiences.

I agree with CnR - get the samples checked by pathologists. It is most important to find out what you are dealing with and what grade cancer it is. Did they biospy lymph nodes near the site of the major lump? This is one way to find out if the cancer is systemic.

If you do have to go the chemo route, I suggest contacting a good holistic vet so they can help your girl stay as well as possible during the treatment. There are quite a few supplements that won't be recommended by your vet that will hold her in good stead while she is under going these types of treatments.

CnR how is the lovely Miss Sophie today? I hope she is well.

The fat stafford is well - he has been eating a little steak and kidney and he is being rather offensive this morning. But otherwise very well.

Hi All,

just popped in to let you all know that you are in my thoughts.. delighted to read that the days are being kind. Lucinda is well into her second puppy hood and is leaping about like a loony, Guiness ( oral tumour) is doing well The rest of the maremma crew are well.

Kaz, any news on Akira or have I missed it?

Very special doggy greetings to Ollie Dog , Nova and Sophie.

H

Shek I'm very much concerned that it is cancer and that Akira will have to be put down. Do you think with a lump that size, causing a limp, that it would have spread throughought her body by now?

I can only say what happened with Jaida, but hers spread very quickly and you could hear it in her lungs within a couple of weeks. The thing with osteo is once you recognise it, it's too late, you can do all you want but you are only giving them time, you cannot get rid of it :(

Thanks Shek. I'm really hoping its not osteosarcoma but I can't think of anything else it could be. I would like to give Akira at least a short time living in a home where she is loved and cared for.

Sorry to barge in on the palliative thread like this but you guys know this disease and rottweilers - I couldn't think of anywhere better to go to get some advice and possibly reassurance until the vet gets to see Akira

Edited by Kaz

Thanks Shek. I'm really hoping its not osteosarcoma but I can't think of anything else it could be. I would like to give Akira at least a short time living in a home where she is loved and cared for.

Sorry to barge in on the palliative thread like this but you guys know this disease and rottweilers - I couldn't think of anywhere better to go to get some advice and possibly reassurance until the vet gets to see Akira

No such thing as barging in on topics like this one - the staffords and maremmas and lots of others have been here too.

Shek is right, unfortunately with osteo, it is often discovered late... But that is not to say, you can't do what is best.

Once you have a definite diagnosis and you know where the disease is, you can start to delay it and make their life easier.

Best of luck

Jodie

Kaz you need the vet to aspirate or maybe even biopsy the lump. It could be anything, either benign or malignant. I wouldn't like to suggest anything without knowing what the problem is.

cavNrott,

how did you and Sophie go today?

Kaz,

good luck with the rescue rott.

you really are in the right hands in terms of advice in this thread,

well not with me obviously but with people like cavNrott and Staffyluv :hug: