Unwell Rotties

oonga

Thanks Grumpette...

She is ok, seems alot better today than yesterday.

one of the dogs was sick at the back door during the middle of the night but considering that i was asleep i'm not sure if it was

Kiesha or Diesel this is the second time that this has happened and i am annoyed that i didn't see who it was.....

It is possible that it was Diesel as he has had a very weak stomach since his operation.

I'm not sure if the tubes or medication irritated his tummy during the surgery or after with the meds that he was on :)

It is also possible that it was Kiesha as the meds that she is on can cause Nausea :laugh:

I have been feeding her at night and in the morning and she gets her tablet at night so it could have been her...

I will be talking to the vet tomorrow in the morning and i will find out what he suggests for her...

The only thing that i have been suggested to get at this stage is some Maxalon and some Tramadol, I have also read on the Rottweiler Health site that the Tramadol is one of the best pain drugs for Osteosarcoma along with the Feldene that she is already taking...

BP have you tried Slipery Elm Bark, for upset stomach?

Slippery elm bark is used for any Gastro-Intestinal (GIT) problem or ulceration of any sort internally.

It is very mucilaginous and will coat mucosal linings from the mouth through to anus giving any areas of inflammation and irritation a period of time to repair and rest. We recommend a 12 week course for serious problems, as this will allow the GIT lining to replace itself.

Kiesha's meds might be striping the lining of her stomach :laugh:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Slippery Elm is wonderful! Do try it if you can :)

I've used Slippery Elm powder on myself and found it to be excellent - mind you, I would have rather taken it in a tablet form because the powder mixed in water is completely foul - the dogs seem to like it though (probably because it is foul).

Yes a health food store or the chemist. I was giving it to Sophie berfore I started on the Maxalon. I bought the capsules. It's good stuff but I noticed it was coating her stools so I wasn't sure if the meds would be absorbed properly. Does anyone know?

Slippery Elm Uses

All species of elm contain varying amounts of mucilage, a substance that swells up and becomes slippery, but does not dissolve when mixed with fluids. One kind, slippery elm, generally has more mucilage than other elms. Taking mucilage may help to relieve coughs and other symptoms that are associated with respiratory conditions such as bronchitis. Mucilage may also make slippery elm useful for treating gastrointestinal (GI) conditions because it coats the mouth, esophagus, and GI tract with a slick residue. Therefore, it may soothe a sore throat, help to alleviate the pain of colic or stomach ulcers, and relieve inflammatory bowel conditions. Additionally, slippery elm may promote the production of GI mucus, further protecting the linings of the stomach and intestines. Additionally, results from a recent laboratory study suggest that slippery elm contains antioxidants that may reduce intestinal inflammation. Antioxidants are thought to protect body cells from damage caused by a chemical process called oxidation. Oxidation produces oxygen free radicals, natural chemicals that may suppress immune function. No human studies have been conducted to confirm any of these traditional uses of slippery elm, however.

Slippery elm may also be used to treat constipation. In the GI tract, the mucilage in slippery elm absorbs water. However, because the body cannot digest mucilage, the soft mass that it forms moves through the intestines. Additionally, it may prompt muscles in the intestines to contract. Both effects may help to relieve constipation, but they have not been proved in human studies.

Topically, slippery elm may be applied to the skin surface to relieve minor injuries such as burns, cold sores, razor burn, scrapes, and sunburn. Typically applied as a poultice—a soft cloth soaked in a medication and applied to an injured area of skin—slippery elm has also been made into salves by mixing it with an oily ointment base.

When should I be careful taking it?

Precautions

The outer bark of slippery elm is known to contain chemicals that may cause pregnant women to miscarry. Although the inner bark, which is used in medicine, is not believed to contain these chemicals, pregnant women are still advised not to take slippery elm.

What side effects should I watch for?

Applying slippery elm to the skin may cause burning, itching, rash, redness, or scaling at the site of application.

Touching slippery elm products or breathing slippery elm tree pollen may cause allergic reactions in individuals who are sensitive to them.

What interactions should I watch for?

No interactions have been identified between slippery elm and drugs, other herbal products, or foods. However, because the mucilage that slippery elm contains may coat the stomach and intestines, it may block or delay the absorption of drugs or nutrients. If slippery elm is taken by mouth, the longest amount of time possible—at least 2 hours—should be allowed between taking slippery elm and eating or taking medications.

Some interactions between herbal products and medications can be more severe than others. The best way for you to avoid harmful interactions is to tell your doctor and/or pharmacist what medications you are currently taking, including any over-the-counter products, vitamins, and herbals. For specific information on how slippery elm interacts with drugs, other herbals, and foods and the severity of those interactions, please use our Drug Interactions Checker to check for possible interactions.

No interactions were found for the drugs you selected.

You searched for interactions between the following drugs and herbs:

Feldene

Slippery elm

Slippery elm

Tramadol

Slippery Elm use in cats (it may give an indication, so still looking)

By Jean Hofve, DVM

As you may know, it is potentially dangerous to give herbs to pets, especially cats. Many people commonly extrapolate a dose of hebs by using the pet's weight compared to the "standard" 150-pound human. A large dog, however, has a comparatively slow metabolism, while a small dog's rapid heart rate and high energy level may make it difficult to get the desired effect. Cats have very different metabolism and enzymes, and many compounds that are safe for humans and dogs (like aspirin) can be toxic to cats.

Slippery Elm (Ulmus fulva) is an exception to the fears and cautions surrounding the use of herbs in animals. It is very safe and non-toxic. The part of the tree used is the inner bark, which is soft and stringy. Simplest to use is the powdered form, which can be purchased in bulk, or pre-packed in capsules, at most health food stores. It is readily available over the Internet from herb suppliers.

Herbalists attribute many wonderful healing properties to Slippery Elm: demulcent (soothing, mucilage-forming), emollient (soothing and protective for skin), nutritive (providing specific food nutrients), tonic (promoting healthy function of one or more body systems), and astringent (constricting, binding or drying effect). It can be used both internally and externally. Slippery Elm is one of the herbs used in the original formulation of "Essiac," an herbal brew widely promoted as a cancer-fighter.

In the gastro-intestinal tract, Slippery Elm acts directly. It can be thought of as a sort of natural "Pepto-Bismol." (Pepto-Bismol itself should not be used because it contains salicylate, a.k.a. aspirin). Its mucilage content coats, soothes, and lubricates the mucus membranes lining the digestive tract. Slippery Elm is an excellent treatment for ulcers, gastritis, colitis, and other inflammatory bowel problems. It is high in fiber, and so helps normalize intestinal action; it can be used to relieve both diarrhea and constipation. It may also help alleviate nausea and vomiting in pets suffering from non-GI illnesses, such as kidney disease. A syrup made from Slippery Elm Bark can be used to help heal mouth ulcers from all causes (see recipe below).

Slippery Elm is said to relieve inflammation of virtually any mucus membrane, and has been used in the treatment of inflammatory conditions of the lungs (bronchitis, asthma), kidneys, bladder (cystitis, FLUTD symptoms), throat (tonsillitis), and joints (arthritis).

Slippery Elm contains many nutrients (carbohydrates, protein, fat, ascorbic acid, beta-carotene, calcium, and several trace minerals) that can be beneficial for recuperating pets, and it may stay down when other foods are not tolerated. It is known as a "survival" food; George Washington and his troops survived for days during the bitter winter at Valley Forge eating nothing but gruel made from Slippery Elm bark. However, Slippery Elm may interfere with the absorption of certain minerals and pharmaceuticals, so is best given separately from any concurrent drug therapy.

In the case of cystitis (bladder inflammation), Slippery Elm is thought to soothe the bladder lining. However, it is somewhat high in magnesium, so may be contraindicated in dogs who have an active infection with an elevated urinary pH, where struvite crystal formation may be a risk. (In cats, urinary tract infections are very rarely bacterial.) Slippery Elm bark contains natural pentosans, a class of complex sugars that contains the same compound found in the drug "Elmiron®,"the major pain-relieving treatment for interstitial cystitis (IC) in women. Pentosan has been used by the pharmaceutical industry as an anti-coagulant and anti-inflammatory for more than 40 years. (Anti-coagulant effects are not seen with normal oral administration.) Since bladder disease in cats is very similar to that in women, slippery elm may be especially beneficial for our feline friends. Small, frequent dosages of pentosan has been shown in humans to be more effective than single large doses.

Externally, a soothing paste of Slippery Elm powder (mix the powder with a little cold water) can be used as a poultice for hot spots, insect burns, rashes, scratches, ulcerated areas, or other shallow wounds. Native Americans used Slippery Elm bark to stop bleeding. It forms a natural "bandage" that can be left in place for several hours, if you can convince your dog to leave it alone! Moisten with water to remove it.

To give internally, mix about 1/4 teaspoon of Slippery Elm bark powder with cold water for every 10 pounds of body weight. For very small dogs, it is fine to use the same 1/4 teaspoon dose. The bulk powder may be very fluffy, so pack it down as much as possible to measure it. Alternatively, use 1/2 capsule (per 10 pounds), opened and the contents mixed with water. Slippery Elm powder will absorb many times its own weight in water, so be sure to add enough to make a moderately thick gruel. This gruel can be given before meals by syringe or eyedropper, or added to baby food, canned food, or a homemade diet. It has a slightly sweet taste and is usually well-tolerated by cats and dogs when mixed with food. Give a dose 5 minutes before meals for sore throat, and before or with meals for digestive tract problems, such as inflammatory bowel disease, until symptoms resolve.

Author Anitra Frazier gives the following recipe for Slippery Elm Bark syrup in her book, The New Natural Cat, which applies equally well to our canine companions when adjusted for weight: Into a small saucepan place 1/2 cup cold water and 1 teaspoon powdered slippery elm bark. Whip with a fork. Bring to simmer over low flame, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 or 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cool and refrigerate. Keeps 7 or 8 days. Give a teaspoon of syrup (5 cc) for an average-size cat (again, about 10 pounds) 5 minutes before a meal to minimize diarrhea, or to soothe and heal mouth ulcers.

Slippery Elm bark is inexpensive and easy to use; it would be a great addition to your holistic medicine chest!

Slippery Elm Uses

No interactions have been identified between slippery elm and drugs, other herbal products, or foods. However, because the mucilage that slippery elm contains may coat the stomach and intestines, it may block or delay the absorption of drugs or nutrients. If slippery elm is taken by mouth, the longest amount of time possible—at least 2 hours—should be allowed between taking slippery elm and eating or taking medications.

Feldene

Slippery elm

Slippery elm

Tramadol

Thanks so much for doing that research grumpette. I had no idea slippery elm had so many uses.

It seems that though there are no interactions with Feldene or Tramadol it might block or delay the absorption of drugs so best I don't give it to Sophie. We need her drugs to be absorbed thoroughly and hopefully quickly.

Edited by cavNrott

Slippery Elm Bark Powder

Long recognized by health authorities in the United States as an effective medicine, slippery elm bark presently has the approval of the Food and Drug Administration as a nonprescription demulcent (soothing agent) that can be taken internally. Slippery Elm is rich in nutrients and is easy to digest, making it an excellent food during times of digestive discomfort. Slippery Elm was also used internally for conditions such as sore throats and diarrhea. The herb works with the body to draw out impurities and toxins, assisting with the healing of all body parts. Slippery Elm's coating action soothes the irritated tissues of the intestines, colon, urinary tract, and stomach ulcers

Could be a problem if it purifies the body by removing the chemotherapy drugs and pain killers, which would result is reduced effective doses being given

Natural Herbs Guide

It was used medicinally to treat toothaches, skin injuries, gout, arthritis, stomach aches, intestinal worms, and coughs.

Uses and Indications

Slippery elm is used to relieve gastrointestinal conditions, sore throats, ulcers, and respiratory irritations today. External uses include treatment of skin conditions, vaginitis, and hemorrhoids. It can be used as a cough medicine or as a skin smoother and softener.

Dosage and Administration

500 mg capsules can be takes three times daily by adults.

Flora Health

- Anti-inflammatory

- Antioxidant

- Breathing Disorders

- Cellular Regeneration

- Cleansing

- Constipation

- Detoxifying

- Diarrhea

- Digestive Upsets

- Diverticulitis

- Endotoxic Shock (Bacterial Infection Toxemia)

- Gastritis

- Hemorrhoids/Piles

- Hormone Imbalances

- Irritable Bowel Syndrome

- Poultice

- Reducing LDL Cholesterol

- Sore Throat

The mucilage was traditionally used internally for soothing sore throats and tonsillitis, coughs, dryness of the lungs and digestive upsets, and externally for healing wounds and other skin inflammations. Slippery elm tree and root bark were also used as folk remedies for treating many serious degenerative diseases. The bark is particularly recommended for soothing gastric diseases. The viscous fiber has several beneficial effects on digestion: 1) it reduces bowel transit time; 2) it absorbs toxins from the bowel; 3) it increases fecal bulk and dilutes stool materials thereby reducing stool contact with the intestinal mucosa; and 4) it enhances beneficial bacteria in the gut and provides an excellent substrate for bacterial fermentation. Eliminating estrogenic anaerobes from the gut can significantly help the body to regain critical hormone balances that are required for basic health. The bark has noted anti-inflammatory activity and because the mucilage resists hydrolysis and digestion by stomachs acids and enzymes, it therefore maintains it’s soothing action throughout the entire digestive system. Slippery elm bark mucilage also helps to moisten the throat, nasal passages, and lungs. Slippery elm bark was also traditionally used for treating abscesses, dysentery, urinary conditions and fever. Poultices were traditionally used to support bone and joint health, reduce swollen glands and stop the spread of infections.

Greatest Herbs On Earth

Soothing Support for the GI Tract.

Benefits:

• Supports healthy digestion.

• Soothes the digestive tract.

• Helps maintain normal elimination.

• Absorbs toxins from the bowel.

• Provides mucilage to soothe the digestive tract.

• Helps relieve throat & digestive discomfort.

• Supports body during convalescence.

• Used internally & externally for skin irritation.

Slippery elm is a deciduous tree native to the United States and Canada. The inner bark of the slippery elm was used widely by the Native Americans and later by the early American settlers.

Slippery elm is rich in nutrients, easy to digest and soothing to the digestive system. For centuries people have used it to support the digestive system and to maintain regular waste elimination.

Slippery Elm is also known by the names Red Elm, Moose Elm and Indian Elm. It helps relieve digestive discomfort and provides mucilage to soothe the digestive tract.

Mucilage is a long chain of sugars (polysaccharides) that make a slippery substance when combined with water.

Slippery Elm is rich in nutrients and easy to digest, making it an excellent food during times of digestive discomfort. It can be made into gruel.

In times of famine, early American settlers used it as a survival food; George Washington and his troops survived for several days on slippery elm gruel during the bitter winter at Valley Forge.

Slippery elm supplies mucilage to soothe the digestive and intestinal tracts. Mucilage is a long chain of sugars that form a slippery substance when combined with water.

Mucilage can settle the digestive tract, absorb toxins from the bowel and help maintain regular elimination patterns.

I would use it with great caution

can you still give it to her CnR but give it to her maybe in the middle of the day and not at the same time that you give her other medicine?

She has meds at different times of the day BP so I won't risk it. Also I don't want it to slow down or reduce the absorption of all the stuff she has to take.

Thank You every one for you kind wishes,

to clarify, Tyson belonged to a very good friend of mine,

but I loved him and miss him dearly as if he were my own :laugh:

Sending lots of **HUGS** and :) to our Rottns here,

and the Strenght to carry on for their humans

I hope that Sophie, Keisha and Zed have and are having a good day today. CavNrott, BP, and ZednQ, you guys are to be admired. You are all an inspiration to us all.

Just a little note on slippery elm. I have used the powder mixed with water on puppies that have developed the runs. The result was excellent. I do keep the powered form on hand at all times.

My youngest daughter studied natropathy(sp?) and is a mine of information. Thanks Grumpette for posting all that info. Very interesting.

Well I have now read through this thread and I am amazed at how many people are so narrow minded and jealous.

This thread is purely for the purpose of letting us know how these sick dogs and their people are coping day to day.

I am sometimes ashamed to be part of this very insecure human race, maybe a lot of you should look at your dogs, how happy they are and grateful for small things.

How dare any of you suggest that these dogs are not well looked after, get in the owners shoes and see how well you fit them.

I for one am disgusted in the jealous behaviour of some of the people posting in here. GET A LIFE!!!

Just wanted to let you all know what a great idea I think this thread is. With the number of posts in our general forum the updates on your unwell dogs can get a little lost as some posts may get passed over in a bid to play catch up.

I have also used Slippery Elm Bark powder for any puppies or older dogs that have had the runs, as long as the dosage isn't too high it works a treat.

Thanks for sharing your stories.

BP, it is a noticeable difference. I hate to ask but will it affect her brain.

Hugs to all the puppies.

Edited by Eza