Mast Cell Cancer

Staffyluv

Sorry I missed Ollie's birthday, nice to hear he had a wonderful day

Ollie is nothing short of amasing and his fight and will to live is a pleasure to read about

May his guardian angel continue to watch over him in the years to come

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I can hardly believe that it was in October 2005 that I found his first Mast Cell Tumour... He was dxd in the November (from memory, although that is rusty these days)...

So next month it will be 4 years since he was diagnosed and we were told to expect to have him for maybe another 12-18 months.

All we have been through over those 4 years - I look at him now and just can't believe how very lucky we are to still have him and his tenacity to want to stay with us.

He still loves his morning walk in the local park, his food and his family. He still loves to play with his toys and is still cheeky enough to steal my slippers and the tea towel it if is left in reach of him. He still gives Dan a woo woo when he is asked to leave the kitchen while we are cooking - like you can't tell me what to do and then he runs around behind me and looks at Dan from behind my legs (fearless I tell ya)...

He is a little hard of hearing these days but he is 12 years old now (although I am still inclined to believe that is a bit selective) and a lot slower (we used to walk double the distance in half the time on our walks) but he is happy and well.

I still count my blessings every day that he is still here with me and believe I must have done somethhing right, somewhere along the way to be so fortunate to have met and been able to care for this wonderful animal that has bought so much happiness (and some sadness) into my life.

I would like to thank everyone on DOL for all their support over the last 4 years

post-1950-1254523031_thumb.jpg

Ah God love him, look at that pic of the boy.

Jodi you sure have done something right. You've put everything into caring for him. Ollie's not going anywhere, he has it too good right where he is.

Have you heard about the new drug for mast cell tumours? It's called Palladia. I was reading about it yesterday.

Give the boy a :rainbowbridge: from me.

Ah God love him, look at that pic of the boy.

Jodi you sure have done something right. You've put everything into caring for him. Ollie's not going anywhere, he has it too good right where he is.

Have you heard about the new drug for mast cell tumours? It's called Palladia. I was reading about it yesterday.

Give the boy a :( from me.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes - I really appreciate it...

CnR I had not heard of Palladia but since you posted decided to do a bit of research and take it to the vet.

Not sure if we can get it here or if our vet would use it as Ollie already has a few of the adverse reactions without the drug, so introducing it could cause more problems - but I am going to give him the info and see what he says. Ollie is due for a checkup next month anyway, so will take up the info and make an appointment.

Thanks for that

Here is a link to the Palladia information that is available on line at the moment (plus you can google it and get a bit too)

Palladia

Well I can hardly believe that it was in October 2005 that I found his first Mast Cell Tumour... He was dxd in the November (from memory, although that is rusty these days)...

So next month it will be 4 years since he was diagnosed and we were told to expect to have him for maybe another 12-18 months.

All we have been through over those 4 years - I look at him now and just can't believe how very lucky we are to still have him and his tenacity to want to stay with us.

He still loves his morning walk in the local park, his food and his family. He still loves to play with his toys and is still cheeky enough to steal my slippers and the tea towel it if is left in reach of him. He still gives Dan a woo woo when he is asked to leave the kitchen while we are cooking - like you can't tell me what to do and then he runs around behind me and looks at Dan from behind my legs (fearless I tell ya)...

He is a little hard of hearing these days but he is 12 years old now (although I am still inclined to believe that is a bit selective) and a lot slower (we used to walk double the distance in half the time on our walks) but he is happy and well.

I still count my blessings every day that he is still here with me and believe I must have done somethhing right, somewhere along the way to be so fortunate to have met and been able to care for this wonderful animal that has bought so much happiness (and some sadness) into my life.

I would like to thank everyone on DOL for all their support over the last 4 years

I am so glad that he is still doing well Staffyluv. Hopefully he will continue to be well for a few years to come with your wonderful care.

I put my old boy to sleep in mid August and he had six good, happy years after being diagnosed, so there is always hope.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow that has gone quick Moops - two years already.

Ollie had a bad night last night and did not go to sleep until around 5am this morning but he got up at 8am wagging his tail like nothing had happened - go figure??? It is the first bad night he has had in a very long time and I hope the last for quite a while - I hate to see him unwell.

It has been nice reading these success stories. My boy has had 3 MCT's removed over the past 9 years, the one he has now that is on his back leg and is in-operable.

The vets told me that he could be around for another few years (he is 11 now). So it is nice to hear that other dogs have lasted so long with the tumors.

I am very worried at the moment though as Sabby is off his food a bit. He will eat but isn't that keen on it. He eats his fresh salmon but won't eat much else. So I am not sure if he just has a sore tummy or if the cancer is starting to affect him.

If he still isn't right by Monday I will take him to the vets.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a reason I cherish every day with my boy - it is because of days like today.

We went away for a week and in that week he has gone downhill so fast, I almost can't believe it - I am praying he picks up but he will be having a doctors visit on Friday for a check up to be sure. His hearing has almost completely gone (he jumps when you pat him and he is not expecting it, he does not seem to notice when you walk up to him until you are right in his face and I opened the door and dragged all the shopping inside and he did not move - was sound asleep on the lounge the whole time I was crashing and clanging about). He is still loving but seems to be a lot slower on his walks and will really only eat breaky, not interested in dinner at all.

I hate the flat days - it always brings home the reality that he is only on loan to me for such a short time in my life (but it has been a much better life with him in it)..

Sorry been a couple of shitty days watching him be so slow - I fear that most difficult decision is looming closer every day (and now that I have said it, he will bounce back with a vengance like he always does)...

Thanks Helen.

We went for a very slow walk today but he seems so relaxed and happy at the park I feel compelled to make sure he gets to go everyday that he wants to and he still wants to (he waits at the door while I brush my teeth and get dressed every morning).

He is not eating breaky this morning but someone suggested it could be heat related as it has been really hot here.

I will make his vet appointment for Friday and see what our wonderful vet suggests for him - might give the ladies at ANVC a call and see if they can suggest a tonic for him too.

I have had the same thing with Sabby. He wasn't interested in food for about a week, all I could get him to eat was Salmon and steamed chicken, he was still active he just wasn't hungry. He even refused cheese and liver treats.

Luckily he has bounced back and is eating well again.

I have also noticed that his hearing hasn't been so good, I wonder if that is old age or the MCT. Anyone have ideas on this?

I feel like I am walking on eggshells right now, constantly looking at him to see if he is ok. Any small thing sends me into a panic. But at least I still have him.

Oh Mel, everything you just said is exactly what we do and are doing.

I am going to ask the vet on Friday about the deafness, as with Ollie it seems to have come on very quickly - like over a few weeks and he cannot hear anything (then again he has always been selective in what he chooses to hear)..

I am having salmon for dinner tonight (was having spinach pie but changed my mind to entice him to eat) and I always share my salmon with him, he loves it - wish me luck getting him to eat later.

They do keep us on eggshells - I used to look at every new lump and want them tested, now I just notice them and put it to the back of my mind. Poor baby looks like a chokito chocolate, he has so many lumps and bumps now...

Hang in there, I am more than happy to chat with you about what you are going through and offer suggestions based on what I have learned over the last 4 years.

Hugs

Www, thanks so much. It is nice to be able to talk to someone isn't it.

I have only noticed the deafness in the past 3 weeks, but I put it down to old age, I didn't connect it to the MCT at all.

Sabby has fresh salmon every night for dinner, I work at a seafood wholesaler so I get the offcuts pretty cheap. I started doing it for his arthiritis and now I just do it because of the look I get if I don't have any for him lol

But I try to do everything for him to make him happy. So if he wants salmon then he gets salmon. :mad

Sabby has got heaps of little lumps on him but only one nasty one, I am the same as you though, if I see a new one I just ignore it. No point in getting worked up over it now.

Good luck at the vets, I will be interested to hear what they have to say about the deafness.

Take care

Yes Helen, Ollie takes vit C but I might still call the all natural vet care crew and ask about a tonic or something, just while he is off food.

I do think he is not eating because it is hot - I offered him some of my orange juice ice block (I made them from OJ I squeezed and they are so good) and he really liked it, so I do believe it is just too hot for him to eat.