How Many Vets Are Doing This?

pomquest

I got our newsletter from Animal Options this morning and was pleasantly surprised. My favourite Chiro/Vet is publicly offering Titre Testing to make sure our dogs need the annual booster instead of just telling us they need it, giving it to them and taking our money :) He is saying:

"There is more and more awareness of serious vaccination side effects that does not seem to be published by the manufacturers of vaccines."

Does your Vet do this or is he going out on a limb a bit? I for one would like to congratulate him. :(

For all the folks looking for alternatives to the drugs we treat our pets with they also have a product called Tick Stop which is a non-toxic, chemical free homeopathic nosode. It doesn't kill the tick but the animal becomes resistant to paralysis. I haven't tried it and don't live in a tick area right now but sure would give it a go if I did.

Edited by pomquest

I got our newsletter from Animal Options this morning and was pleasantly surprised. My favourite Chiro/Vet is publicly offering Titre Testing to make sure our dogs need the annual booster instead of just telling us they need it, giving it to them and taking our money :) He is saying:

"There is more and more awareness of serious vaccination side effects that does not seem to be published by the manufacturers of vaccines."

Does your Vet do this or is he going out on a limb a bit? I for one would like to congratulate him. :(

For all the folks looking for alternatives to the drugs we treat our pets with they also have a product called Tick Stop which is a non-toxic, chemical free homeopathic nosode. It doesn't kill the tick but the animal becomes resistant to paralysis. I haven't tried it and don't live in a tick area right now but sure would give it a go if I did.

From what I am told Titre Testing costs around the same as Vacc and if your dog does not have antibodies,you then have to pay for the vacc on top.In our area I believe that people just would not pay for both.

I would love some more info on the Tick Stop if you can get me any thanx.

From what I am told Titre Testing costs around the same as Vacc and if your dog does not have antibodies,you then have to pay for the vacc on top.In our area I believe that people just would not pay for both.

I would love some more info on the Tick Stop if you can get me any thanx.

I am not made of money :p but I would pay for both if it meant the possibility of no vaccination.

This is the link for the website Animal Options

You can shop online.

Good on the vet, there should be more out there like that, rather than just taking the cash for the annual vaccination. There are plenty out there , who would rather pay for a titre test, than over vaccinate.

If you do happen to have a year where your dogs levels have dropped and you pay for both a titre test and a vaccination, then in my eyes , it's money well spent, looking after your dogs health.

A couple of vets I called apparently "hadn't heard of it" which is either an outright lie or unbelievably irresponsible on their part.

I would happily pay both (and may have to this year) - it's part of looking after your dogs.

Edited by Tess32

Surely there are some kennels that are up to date with the latest protocols and would take a titer test result on paper as more than enough proof?

Pretty pathetic if there isn't.

I guess the only issue would be if you had to put the dogs in kennels, don't know if a titre test would be good enough then?

Well that would be pretty silly of them not to accept it, as it is the ONLY way to know if a dog is vaccinated or not. Just because a dog has had an injection means nothing, as many dogs never get immunity. Titers are the only way to prove a dog has levels or not.

I know kennels & training Clubs that have been accepting them for years already :happydance2:

Our Vet has adopted the 3 year protocol for C3 vaccines and then if you want KC then that is annually and is usually the intra-nasal KC Vaccine, Nobishield which has far less side effects that the old KC Vaccine injection or the Bronchishield intra-nasal vaccine

Which vet? You can PM me if you don't want to "out" them... :(

I just had my vet ring me back, and they said that in Australia, the Titre test only tests for Distemper and Parvo, not Hep, and those 3 are what make up the C3 ( which is what I get) ..so I presume what staff n toller said the post above is correct.

It would be interesting to talk to the OP's vet, as on their web site it says that in their vaccination schedule:

Core vaccines: Parvovirus, Distemper and Adenovirus.

Non-core vaccines: Parainfluenza, Bordetella and Leptospirosis

The group does not recommend vaccination for giardia or coronavirus

Vaccinate puppies at 8, 12 and 16 weeks with a booster 12months after the last vaccination. After that dogs should be vaccinated with core vaccines not more often than every 3 years.

Annual vaccinations for Kennel Cough (Bordetella & Leptospirosis) for dogs that are in contact with other dogs are a good idea.

I *presume* that there is a seperate vaccine for Bordatella or Parainfluenza, so THAT vaccine could be given on the 'off' years, between vaccinating every three years with the C3, thus not doubling up on the 'core' vaccines.

There was also some other 3 year vaccine available ( I have no idea now what it covers; a bit brain dead) and they said that they have to buy the vaccines in lots of 10, and because there would be little chance at this time of using them, I would have to pay for all 10 if I wished to do that...

I'd like to know who the vet is as well! Last time I asked my vet about titre testing he wasn't very keen on the idea at all but did look into it for me and phoned me back to let me know how much it would cost. You can PM me if you like!

There was also some other 3 year vaccine available ( I have no idea now what it covers; a bit brain dead) and they said that they have to buy the vaccines in lots of 10, and because there would be little chance at this time of using them, I would have to pay for all 10 if I wished to do that...

That is Nobivac. My normal vet also couldn't get it because you have to pay for 10. I simply went to a vet who had it on hand this time.

I'd like to know who the vet is as well! Last time I asked my vet about titre testing he wasn't very keen on the idea at all but did look into it for me and phoned me back to let me know how much it would cost. You can PM me if you like!

The vet is that link in post #3...animaloptions. That is the name of the surgery

Edited by kymbo