Emergency - Labrador Swallowed Fish Hook!

elsastella

I'm with you Puggles, cottonballs, we're talking about a fish hook here! Not a screw and not a piece of wood that is all one piece...

Yes, and the advice (all on personal websites) talks about it being good for 'splinters of glass' not a whole fish hook.

I would consider even a Veterinary Clinic site saying to give cotton balls in an emergency as close enough to factual but I can't even find that.

IDWT - the bread I thought was more likely to 'push' the fish bone through, not wrap around it to stop it from sticking in. Again though, fish bones could be considered in a similar category to splinters of glass in size. A fish hook is much large and much more solid.... and the idea that the cotton ball would 'wrap wround' the hook and stop it from cutting in or hooking is a little off the mark I believe.

As I said though, I am happy to believe otherwise if someone can show me a more definitive answer. :rofl:

Edited by Puggles

• 1 month later...

Remember this thread?

I was talking with the poster. Elsa went back to the vets two days later and the Xray didn't show the hook. She has been fine. Her owners didn't much enjoy checking her poohs . .. .especially as they seemed to have missed the hook.

• 12 years later...

We had a 12 years old maremma Sheepdog cross 

She died 18/11/2020 after she swallowed baited fish hooks (lying on the Wool bay jetty).

Abdominal surgery was recommended being the recommended treatment , however she didn’t recover.

I cannot see any research done on conservative management ie doing nothing. I don't agree with the ominous warnings about intestinal perforation and peritonitis

if we had done nothing we would still have had a live dog today and $3,600 more in the bank account. Dogs swallow other foreign objects such as brittle chicken bones and somehow survive. 

Endoscopic removal costs over $5000 if you can afford, choose this option.

2 hours ago, MWThomas said:

We had a 12 years old maremma Sheepdog cross 

She died 18/11/2020 after she swallowed baited fish hooks (lying on the Wool bay jetty).

Abdominal surgery was recommended being the recommended treatment , however she didn’t recover.

I cannot see any research done on conservative management ie doing nothing. I don't agree with the ominous warnings about intestinal perforation and peritonitis

if we had done nothing we would still have had a live dog today and $3,600 more in the bank account. Dogs swallow other foreign objects such as brittle chicken bones and somehow survive. 

Endoscopic removal costs over $5000 if you can afford, choose this option.

I'm sorry for your loss but you don't know that your dog would have survived without surgery. Personally I think you did the right thing and gave her a good chance

2 hours ago, MWThomas said:

if we had done nothing we would still have had a live dog today and $3,600 more in the bank account

You have no crystal ball to know this . I am sorry your dog died , the vets acted on their previous experience and education ....

• Like 1