Metacam 20 Warning

digisol

I wouldn’t have bothered but it might be worthwhile that the truth be out as my best friend survived after a quick emergency mouth to nose session.

Wizz the amazing wonder dog had a simple eye ulcer that never healed properly so back to the vet to cough up more cash, he then gave her more eye ointment and both the injection of Metacam and some take home Rimadyl 100mg tabs for pain and infection repair of the eye, the Rimadyl has no side effects that I can see.

However after our trip to the Vet she came home a bit slow and went to sleep in her normal unusual position with her head hanging down off the couch, no drama until I noticed she was only just breathing and then failed to move when touched.

I'm not one to normally panic but I did when her head fell completely limp and obviously now unconscious and also not breathing I could only remember my last dog that was accidentally killed, actually drowned in his own fluid after falling into an unconscious state by another well meaning Vet and a simple injection.

Never having done resuscitation to a human letalone any dog I learnt quickly what worked and her eyes opened a little and she was still alive but drugged to the eyeballs.

I can only say I was somewhat upset and a total mess but I splashed water on her so she would hopefully wake up a bit more, which she did, so I know what to do.

But the drug she was given would have simply put her to sleep, quite literally and permanently had I not looked.

My dog would die for me, quite literally, any time, and she has saved my life with poisonous snakes and wild pigs so it’s only fair to repay her unconditional love.

Beware of the above drug and don’t leave the vet until you’re 100% sure your dog is OK.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50ml of injectable Metacam????

Me thinks someone is having someone on or has a serious case of crossed wires.

I think you're right. 50ml of Metacam :rofl: I doubt it.

Both Metacam and Rimadyl can affect a minority of dogs badly. Most dogs do well on it and those who do have an adverse reaction to the injection usually show signs very quickly, not hours later at home.

Ermm....digisol. An ulcer on the eye that doesn't heal is not a simple matter either.

I think you may have the dosage wrong but never the less it pays not to take giving these meds lightly. I gave my old girl Metacam for a leg injury and she started having seizures. The vet didn’t believe it was a result of the Metacam but seems strangely coincidental that she seizured until 2 days after I stopped giving it to her

Why do you think Metacam did it? It is Rimadyl that kills dogs usually!!!!

Both Metacam and Rimadyl can have side effects. Rimadyl doesn't kill dogs 'usually' at all. Melodramatic much :rofl:

Some people are allergic to Penicillin but we don't go around saying Penicillin kills people usually.

Some dogs have a bad reaction to Rimadyl, the same as some dogs can have a reaction to any other drug. Most dogs do well on Rimadyl. I think we could be pretty sure that 50ml of Metacam would probably kill a dog.

Metacam nearly killed my avatar girl after one single injection :rofl: . She had massive diarrhoea and was on a drip for nearly 3 days.

No Non-steriodial anti-inflammatories for my dogs either

You need to Report this reaction if your Vet has not already done so- www.apvma.gov.au. You can fill it all in yourself and believe me they do follow up with you and the makers of the drug

have a look at this site

www.dogsadversereactions.com

you will be horrified.

Hope your furkid is on the road to recovery

Edited by InspectorRex

Rimadyl has killed more dogs than Metacam ever will.

If 50ml Metacam was injected, the dog would not have made it out of the surgery.

Eye ulcers can become a serious matter. Make sure the dog is kept in the dark and has no wind from fans or air conditioners that could blow onto the dog, that could effect the eye.

sounds a bit weird to me..

its unlikely a vet would administer injectable metacam (and 50ml???? I don't think so!) and give rimadyl to take home - the two are not meant to be combined like that. You either give metacam injectable with take home metacam, or rimadyl injectable with take home rimadyl.

And it is NOT recommended that you give CPR to an animal or person for that matter, that is breathing and has a heart beat as you can cause further damage.

If 50ml Metacam was injected, the dog would not have made it out of the surgery.

Eye ulcers can become a serious matter. Make sure the dog is kept in the dark and has no wind from fans or air conditioners that could blow onto the dog, that could effect the eye.

Agree about the eye ulcer.

Do you have statistics you can direct us to that show more dogs have died from Rimadyl than will ever die from Metacam.....though how they would know what will happen in the future is a bit of a mystery. Facts are derived from what has happened not what might happen.

Agree about the eye ulcer.

Do you have statistics you can direct us to that show more dogs have died from Rimadyl than will ever die from Metacam.....though how they would know what will happen in the future is a bit of a mystery. Facts are derived from what has happened not what might happen.

It was an American site. Boy did they blast Rimadyl. Talking about Rimadyl being taken of the market because of the dog deaths from it where huge. Sorry, never saved the site as I already new

about the side effects of Rimadyl.

It was an American site. Boy did they blast Rimadyl. Talking about Rimadyl being taken of the market because of the dog deaths from it where huge. Sorry, never saved the site as I already new

about the side effects of Rimadyl.

I've seen that site I think. I was considering at one stage putting an old arthritic dog onto Metacam but read that it too has adverse side effects. I think all NSAIDS have side effects and they shouldn't be given without a full meal. I ended up leaving her on Rimadyl. She had no bad reaction and it did the job of keeping her pain free.

I wouldn’t have bothered but it might be worthwhile that the truth be out as my best friend survived after a quick emergency mouth to nose session.

Wizz the amazing wonder dog had a simple eye ulcer that never healed properly so back to the vet to cough up more cash, he then gave her more eye ointment and both the injection of Metacam and some take home Rimadyl 100mg tabs for pain and infection repair of the eye, the Rimadyl has no side effects that I can see.

However after our trip to the Vet she came home a bit slow and went to sleep in her normal unusual position with her head hanging down off the couch, no drama until I noticed she was only just breathing and then failed to move when touched.

I'm not one to normally panic but I did when her head fell completely limp and obviously now unconscious and also not breathing I could only remember my last dog that was accidentally killed, actually drowned in his own fluid after falling into an unconscious state by another well meaning Vet and a simple injection.

Never having done resuscitation to a human letalone any dog I learnt quickly what worked and her eyes opened a little and she was still alive but drugged to the eyeballs.

I can only say I was somewhat upset and a total mess but I splashed water on her so she would hopefully wake up a bit more, which she did, so I know what to do.

But the drug she was given would have simply put her to sleep, quite literally and permanently had I not looked.

My dog would die for me, quite literally, any time, and she has saved my life with poisonous snakes and wild pigs so it’s only fair to repay her unconditional love.

Beware of the above drug and don’t leave the vet until you’re 100% sure your dog is OK.

BEWARE dont give your dog 50ml Metcalm the dog would have been dead before you even had time to get out the door :rofl:

April 4 will be the 3rd anniversary that we had to pts our beautiful Jasmine at 12 yrs old. She was a GSD x Scotch Collie. She suffered with arthritis due to being hit by a car when she was only 2 rs old. (house was broken into and she was let out - lost for almost 3 months). anyway she had what the vet called a "bad reaction" to Rimadyl. I'd say that was an understatement, she went into kidney failure and was bleeding, she was lethargic and went down hill in less than 2 weeks. This was a real heart breaker, as she was a very beautiful loyal girl. I gave her the medication so always blamed myself for killing her.

I had since learned that Rimadyl does have a very high death rate. Labradors in particular.

Would I use it again. No. I had our little Maltese at the vet to have his teeth cleaned and a tooth removed. He came home with Rimadyl and antibiotics, I could not give the Rimadyl to him. He lived on our laps and got extra cuddles for his pain management. This was only 4 months after losing our old girl. Much too soon and still very raw. Just could not use the same medication again. If placed in that situation again, no idea what I would do.

I have known many dogs to go down hill fast on this stuff, Metacam too.

Edited by Lisa M

I am not commenting on the worthyness of any of the medications mentioned, but....the ONLY thing that does not make sense is the idea of giving any injection with a volume of 50mls. That sort of volume is just not administered to a dog normally. The degree of tissue expansion it would cause is massive. There would have been a lump the size of a lemon where it was given and absorption of all that fliud and the drug would take some time. Perhaps the OP got 50mls and 50milograms mixed up?????