Metacam 20 Warning

digisol

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rimadyl has killed more dogs than Metacam ever will.

If 50ml Metacam was injected, the dog would not have made it out of the surgery.

Yes, and they were going to take it off the market due to so many adverse reactions , mainly DEATH......

Rimadyl and Metacam are both contraindicated for animals with kidney disease, liver disease and any sort of gastrointestinal illness. Older animals should have their kidney and liver functions tested prior to starting to ensure they are well enough, and should continue to be monitored throughout use of these drugs to monitor for any changes.

50ml. Um........yeah, someone's got problems.

Dose rate for Metacam (5mg/ml) is 0.4ml/10kg BW

and for Rimadyl its 0.8ml/10kg BW

So the dog must have weighed about 1250kg??

Large dog then??

I wondering if they should call the dog Horse.

:rofl: :D

1. You don't inject metacam - it is an oral suspension

2. 50ml of the stuff would drop a horse let alone a dog

ETA: The stuff comes with a syringe which is kg based. so a 50 on that would be for a 50kg dog not 50ml of the stuff

Edited by HeartandSoul

No, I'm having no one on, she is a healthy Purebred Amstaff weighing 46kg and the amount I wrote down was directly off the Vet receipt, it says Metacam 20 - 50ml quite clearly, and I held the dog during the injection only 6" from the syringe.

The Rimadyl is 1/2 a 100mg tab twice daily as per the receipt.

And yes I did go back to have my say and to check what was on the receipt, all is correct, she simply went into an unconscious state and stopped breathing.

Of course if anyone doubts this, just don't bother to watch your animal after an injection of this stuff that I had no idea would do what it did.

By the time I drove 2km and got inside she was looking tired and slow looking for somewhere to lay down, if this has been a mistake in dosage by the vet I will not be impressed to say the least.

Edited by digisol

So you aren't talking about the commercially available metacam but a brand new drug out on the market which is an injectable form of the stuff (yay - I know how to google too...)

http://www.bi-vetmedica.com/product_sites/.../reference.html - that is the info that would be with the drug.

Sounds like your dog might have been overdosed. Or as others have said, it could have been another drug

digisol- I too have nearly lost a dog to Metacam and it was an Injection. The dog in my avatar was given one injection of metacam and it nearly killed her.She spent nearly 3 days on a drip

Please make sure you report the adverse reaction to the site I mentioned in my earlier post

PM me if you want any help doing it

So you aren't talking about the commercially available metacam but a brand new drug out on the market which is an injectable form of the stuff (yay - I know how to google too...)

http://www.bi-vetmedica.com/product_sites/.../reference.html - that is the info that would be with the drug.

I'm confused.

What do you mean by commercially available? As in from the vet?

This form of Metacam (in your link) has been around for a long time.

Edit to add: If you dog did receive 50ml via injection, have you been back to the vet and made a complaint or discussed this with the vet responsible.

Edited by Sir WJ

How big was the syringe used to administer the drug?

A 50 ml syringe is HUGE seriously HUGE. We are talking horse dose here.

Depending on the accounts program the Vet Surgery is using the details on the receipt maybe a bit weird to read.

ie in the program the drugs are entered in the quantity they come in and a billed out as a portion of that, or the wrong item has been selected when billing is another possibility.

But seriously I cannot believe that any vet could administer 50ml to a dog, by mistake, it just isn't a easy mistake to make.

A reaction any drug is possible but I can't believe the dog was given 50ml.

Not that it means much but I had never heard of injectable metacam before today. So its new on the market for me :)

Ummm...... been around for the 10 years I've been administering it. :wink:

:D :rofl: Oh well obviously my vets are behind the times and I with them. To quote Buffy "my bad" :D