Sensitive Skin

cheetah

Hey

I recently adopted a bullterrier x staffy who has allergies/skin issues. I was wondering what might be a good shampoo to use on her? She desperately needs a bath but I don't wanna do anything until i know ive got the right product to use. :laugh: Thanks

One of my dogs has allergy and skin issues also and I have used Aloveen (has a leave in conditioner and smells awesome), hoss gloss and malaseb (medicated wash which I use only on the itchy areas, like legs) all with good results.

I use Epi-Soothe S by Virbac with good results. It's a "Oatmeal shampoo with sperulites and chitosanide". I have also used Maleseb occassionally if he bites his paws a lot and they seem a bit moist. Epi-Soothe gets my vote, but the scent deosn't last that long.

There is also another brand called PAW - Pure Animal Wellbeing, the Sensitive Skin formula, that I bought at my vets. It is OK but didn't seem to soothe that much (www.paw4pets.com) on the two occasions i have used it, but see what u think.

Have tried Aloveen.  Works fine on my pug without skin issues, doesn't seem to work on put with skin issues.

Have been through all sort of shampoos, with my skin issue boy, and have landed on organic baby shampoo which seems to work the best of them all.  Looking at it's ingredients it does contain evening Primrose Oil so I am about to purchase some of the Groomers Products EPO (Evening Primrose Oil) shampoo because I think that maybe it might be better to use something that is formulated for dogs rather then babies.

As well as the Groomers Products EPO (Evening Primrose Oil) shampoo I have been considering the Plush Puppy shampoo but will give the Groomers a go first.

You may want to look at the diet your dog is on as well. Do you feed dry food?

Edited by puggy_puggy

Hi Cheetah

After you find a gentle shampoo to wash your new pet, one thing to consider might be what food you are feeding her. she may be allergic to something in the food? I have had a lot of friends with dogs that have skin allergies (even hot spots) who have fed them the Nature's Gift canned food and the allergies / conditions have cleared up. Might be worth a shot :) Good luck

Sorry, but tinned food would be the last slop I gave my dog. Even though Natures Gift is one of the 'better' ones there is still crap in there your pet doesn't need. Although I do agree that perhaps diet could be reassesed to get to the root of the allergy.

Another Aloveen nut here!!

efs

Edited by Clyde

Yep Aloveen is from vets.

Have bathed my itchy pug in the EPO shampoo twice now and I think it is helping. He hasn't scratched nearly as much after his bath as he usually does. With the organic baby shampoo he was better then he had been with any other sorts of doggy shampoo but now I think the EPO might be working even better then the organic baby shampoo.

Yep Aloveen is from vets.

Have bathed my itchy pug in the EPO shampoo twice now and I think it is helping. He hasn't scratched nearly as much after his bath as he usually does. With the organic baby shampoo he was better then he had been with any other sorts of doggy shampoo but now I think the EPO might be working even better then the organic baby shampoo.

aloveen shampoo and cond it is great

I am a fan of the Aloveen, but take care not to wash too often. I prefer a wash every few weeks, other weeks I rinse off and use the leave in conditioner so we all smell sweet. Funnily enough I know a vet who is such a fan she now uses it on herself and her hair looks fantastic! :laugh: