What Training Treats

laffi

You are very fortunate that all your kids think they are permanently deprived and will do backflips for anything Ptolomy :rofl: .

ETA. Laffi hmmm guess what I am going to tell them when we train Sat week :) .

Edited by ness

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately chunkers (you can now get lamb and vege ones and chicken and eggs ones - sorry not sure what brand they are) and 4 legs are not OK for Beans :) They send her into a red raw itching mess. :love: that takes days and days to heal. At the last obedience trial of last year she picked up and ate something tiny on the oval and the following night she had chewed her foot red raw - so much so that she was so lame she couldn't do agility - it took 2 weeks for her to recover from that.

She can eat goat so I have sourced 1kg dried goat for $20 a bag which is great and I can also get goat bones, goat shanks and goat meat as well which I can use at any time for her. I did find a bickie she can also eat - so occassionally she will get these as training treats and funny enough she will do back flips for them.

Wow dried goat!!! How lucky are you?!?! :rofl: Is it a local source? Do they post?

Is the rest of your list OK for Beans? I just don't want to experiment too much with Midge esp that she has been much less itchy recently.

What about raw fish laffi - Ness can't stand it but some of Ptolomy's kids eat it.

ETA. Watch out Amypie Ptolomy might start checking out what K is getting for treats :rofl:

Edited by ness

What about raw fish laffi - Ness can't stand it but some of Ptolomy's kids eat it.

Mine eat it but are not crazy for it :rofl: . They loooove cooked baby carrots (which they had for the first time last Sun at agility).

I just love giving them new stuff and varying it more because they are so much more responsive :)

I usually only give him meats (ham, sausage, chunkers etc) and cheese :love:

But I am going to try some vegies now and see how he'll go :rofl:

Wish me luck, usually when i feed him vegies he has to go to the back lawn and 'inspect' it before slowly consuming it :p (and yes I am talking about little tiny pieces) so it will be interesting to see how he goes with it at training :)

I usually only give him meats (ham, sausage, chunkers etc) and cheese :rofl:

But I am going to try some vegies now and see how he'll go :)

Wish me luck, usually when i feed him vegies he has to go to the back lawn and 'inspect' it before slowly consuming it :love: (and yes I am talking about little tiny pieces) so it will be interesting to see how he goes with it at training :love:

Laffi is like that too :p and she is a golden retriever, you would think she is just going to gulp it down :rofl: :p

The dried goat is a local source - I will see if Zoe can pick up a card from the shop or get me the details on Friday when she picks up the next order.

Beans can eat....

Most Veges

Cheese

Yoghurt

pork

goat

eggs

most fish/sardines/tuna

Natures Own bickies

chicken

but can't have wheat, corn, lamb, milk, beef. I have also found that if some of the foods that she can eat are processed in any way - then once again we have a scratching frenzie.

I honestly don't know how anyone can find raw foods to use as training treats :rofl: I'd love to hear it too! I mostly feed cooked chicken breast or cheese, or *cough* natures gift treats.

Haha I use those Nature's gift ones too! They are such a great size for training. They also fit well into the manners minder (used to be called treat n train) because they are a uniform size.

I will also fess up to using dry cat kibble as a training treat -hides-

I always have at least half a dozen different treats in the bag. I find that if a dog knows what treat is coming they can choose whether or not to work for it. This way it is as much a surprise to me as the dog.

Usually my weekly training treat bags contain a mixture of the following (not all at once):

- cabanossi

- cheese

- sausages

- frankfurts

- Nature's Gift treats

- cat kibble

- roast chicken

Charlie is motivated by fetch more than anything else so I use that whenever I can. For the times when fetch is difficult or not permitted such as flyball comps or obedience training I use Chunkers (yes those processed crap things) and the Kramer Chicken Breast Bites (he actually prefers these to tennis balls, which says alot!) These are the only food rewards he will work hard for so I try not to use them very often. I want them to stay special for him.

Delta will work for anything (except a vigorous pat which results in her growling and snapping at me). The biggest reward she can get is to let her do it again! She absolutely loves agility and has had a few weeks of basic flyball training. All she wants is to go again :D

Edited by DeltaCharlie

My dogs would give you a pretty interesting look if you tried to use veggies as treats. They eat them but they ain't 'into' them.

Same with my dog. It pretty much has to be smelly for her to want it, so things like cheese, sausage, chicken, cabanossi, chicken chunkers etc work well. She does like apple and pear but I'm not sure it would work for training.

The dried goat is a local source - I will see if Zoe can pick up a card from the shop or get me the details on Friday when she picks up the next order.

Beans can eat....

Most Veges

Cheese

Yoghurt

pork

goat

eggs

most fish/sardines/tuna

Natures Own bickies

chicken

but can't have wheat, corn, lamb, milk, beef. I have also found that if some of the foods that she can eat are processed in any way - then once again we have a scratching frenzie.

Thank you so much. I would really appreciate it :thumbsup:

So how long does it take for her to recover after eating something she is allergic to?

I always thought they would be OK after a day :) , so after your post I have to now rethink about all that I have been giving them!

Beans is an extreme case and I still don't know what she picked up and ate at the last trial of the year - but I would have to guess that it was beef of some sort, and her reaction was severe.

If she was to eat 1 chicken chunker which occassionally happens she breaks out in a rash on her belly by the following morning and it will stay red for 12-24 hours which her scratching for about the same amount of time.

Certainly makes life interesting and she has done so well in both obedience and agility considering her health issues she has.

I buy pork or beef when it's cheap(er) and roast it for training treats. I usually add bits of cheese and any other yummy things from the fridge into the treat bag.

If I gave Chill vegies I'm sure I would get the 'what the' look, then she would roll it around in her mouth for five minutes and spit it out. :laugh:

Where we get the dried goat from is.....

A & D Pet Foods Connections 23 Elliott St Midvale 6056 (08) 9250 1030.

I also get smaller quantities of dried goat (it's more expensive) and goat shanks from South Street Pet Supplies, South Street O'Connor (08) 9337 8599.