Titer Test Results

Guest Tess32

Lexi's results have come back > 80 for parvo and 1:20 for distemper.

Lexi was 2 in May and she had a C3 vaccination at 8 weeks and another C3 at 16 weeks. Interesting that her brother's titre results were both 1:20 for parvo and distemper and he received a C3 vacination at 8 weeks of age and has had nothing since.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting note form the Dr Dodds' seminar. Dr Dodds stated that only one titre test was ever needed and that any immune response showed the dog had full immunity. She stated that the reason for the highs and lows was the dog's immune response to these viruses. ie If your dog has recently come into contact with the virus (even though you may not have realised this) the body's response will show higher levels of immunity and they will be lower when there has been no exposure.

Either way, the dog is immune for life apparently and there is no need to re-test with the view of possibly having to vaccinate.

Dog: Midge

Breed: Australian Shepherd

Vaccinations had: C5 12 months (can't find what she had as a pup)

Titer result:

Parvo 5/6 (high immunity)

Distemper 4/6 (sufficient immunity)

Hepatitis 4/6 (sufficient immunity)

ETA The price was $65 (titer test + annual check up)

Laffi,

Where did your bloods go to be tested? Was it Vetpath?

$65.00 seems really cheap

It was done at Animal Options (Ormeau QLD)

Lexi's results have come back > 80 for parvo and 1:20 for distemper.

Lexi was 2 in May and she had a C3 vaccination at 8 weeks and another C3 at 16 weeks. Interesting that her brother's titre results were both 1:20 for parvo and distemper and he received a C3 vacination at 8 weeks of age and has had nothing since.

Did you vaccinate Lexi after her puppy shots?

Kyzer is due for his booster according to the vet :o , but I'm trying to decide whether to titre first.

Lexi has only ever had 2 vaccinations - 1 at 8 weeks and 1 at 16 weeks and both were C3 (which is parvo, distemper and hepatitis).

Zoe got her dogs done last week at the Mundaring Vets and he charged $90 to have parvo and distemper titers pulled, VetWest are now charging $118 - so if you do decide to have them done it might be worth the drive up the hill, or to ring around and see what other vets around you charge.

I had Scoota and Lexi titre tested on Saturday and got the results for Scoots tonight. Have to say I got dogs done earlier in the year and it was $88 - this time I was charged $118 each dog :rolleyes:

Scoota was vaccinated at 8 and 16 weeks with C3, he is currently 4 1/2 years old. He was last titred for Parvo and Distemper 2 1/2 years ago where both results were >80. This time the results were once again >80 for both Parvo and Distemper.

Lexi's results will hopefully come back tomorrow.

Where did you get that done?

I have been quoted $250 to do my boy.

ETA, dont worry, I read on. I think I should ring around too.

Edited by Daggles

• 1 month later...

Just had Gus's titre tests done. He's 1:20 for Distemper and 1:80 for Parvo. Still waiting for Hepatitis to come back.

The stupid vet that took his blood (who said i was the first person to ever get their dog titre tested at their clinic) said that even though his results were "fine" i should still give him the full round of vaccinations at 12 months (he's about 11.5 months now) then 3 yearly after that. I really don't think he needs it though.

Based on his results, I think I'll just get him the nasal KC vaccination yearly then get his titres retested in maybe 3 years. Does that sound reasonable?

Silly question and my apologies if it's already been asked because I'm not reading four pages to find out.

How do you pronounce titer? Is it "teeter" or "tyter" or "titter" or something else? I want to ask my vet to do the test on Cody when his vacs are due but I need to be able to say the word. :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance. :laugh:

Got my results back today.

Dog: Delta

Breed: Border Collie

Vaccinations had: C3 at 8, 12 and 16 weeks.

Titer result: Parvo 1:80 distemper 1:80

Dog: Charlie

Breed: Kelpie/ Cattle

Vaccinations had: C5 at 2.5yrs (unknown before that as he is a rescue)

Titer result: Parvo 1:80 distemper 1:80

• 2 weeks later...
It's about $60 :)

I was quoted $190 :(

Maybe talk to your vet and see if they can organise for the blood samples to be sent direct to VetPath in WA? They'd have to open an account with them, but it's worth a shot to try. Otherwise the blood likely goes to their regular lab and then sent on via them to VetPath, which jacks the cost right up as the other labs add on their fee on top of the VetPath fee, if that makes sense!

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd add to this.

Dog: Minty

Breed: Mutt (kelpie/staffy x maybe)

Vaccinations: C3 at 6, 8 and 12 weeks, then C5 every year up to now.

Results: don't have number results but high positive immunity for parvo and hepatitis, adequate for distemper.

Cost $60, results came back within a fortnight.

All three dog clubs I am a member of have accepted titre test results instead of proof of vaccination.

I find it interesting that there are a few cases where distemper immunity is lower (on here and with others i have compared results with). Any ideas why?

I find it interesting that there are a few cases where distemper immunity is lower (on here and with others i have compared results with). Any ideas why?

The more I read about vaccines; immunity; and titre tests, the more I'm thinking it isn't so much about the "measure" of immunity but that there is immunity there. I mean, can you be 'partly' immune to something? I think the titre tests are more a case of "if it shows up, there is immunity". If it doesn't, then you might like to give a booster vaccination to be certain, but it doesn't mean the dog's not still immune - "cell memory" is (likely?) to still be there to trigger at the recognition of the disease and fight it off.

I'm doing my best to understand it all - so the above is only my own interpretation and I make no claims about it being accurate or even correct.

I think we are seeing distemper levels (and hep also) lower than parvo because it's just not around in the environment as much as what it used to be, and as much as what parvo is, so the dogs aren't being 'challenged' with it, so to speak, and thus producing more antibodies against it.

I'm not 100% on that though, but just my understanding of how it works.