Clickers, Is One Better Than The Other?

I want to start doing some clicker training with my Elkhounds. I have seen a few different types of clickers. Is there any difference between clickers or are they all the same? Is there one that you would recommend?

I really like the I-click style ones with optional wrist band.

Best tip I learned was to keep the treats in the same hand as the clicker. Then you can click, take a treat from the hand and give it to the dog. Replenish from bait bag as necessary. :laugh:

I normally use the old fashioned ones as I have more of them.

If you are using it for show training I would get an I-click as you can use it with your foot while stacking the dog etc.

Thanks everyone. I will buy an I-click one or 2 tomorrow.

If you are using it for show training I would get an I-click as you can use it with your foot while stacking the dog etc.

I have an old fashioned one that I haven't used so I might start with that until I get the I-click one. It is for show training for 2 of my Elkies so the I-click will come in handy as it is quieter as well. I want to start training our new puppy when it arrives with a clicker as soon as possible.

Edited by Norskgra

Triple Crown clicker for me!

I'm not a huge fan of the i-click...each one i've had broke too easily, not too sure why :eek:

I love Triple Crown and the I-clicker :laugh:

I use the I-clicker at home as it's softer and the triple crown in the clubs.

I have an adjustable one that I bought from Kmart. It has four different sound levels that is great for working with 2 dogs, I keep it soft for Delta and loud for Charlie. That way they know which one is being clicked. It also has a button like the i-click which makes it easier to press.

Otherwise I just use the standard blackdog ones. Cheap and easy to replace as I seem to lose them on a weekly basis.

I have an adjustable one that I bought from Kmart. It has four different sound levels that is great for working with 2 dogs, I keep it soft for Delta and loud for Charlie. That way they know which one is being clicked. It also has a button like the i-click which makes it easier to press.

Otherwise I just use the standard blackdog ones. Cheap and easy to replace as I seem to lose them on a weekly basis.

Was the clicker in Kmart in the dog/pet section? I have never seen it there.

Guest Piximatosis

I'm another one who uses the I-clickers. I find them heaps easier to use than the box ones. :eek:

Was the clicker in Kmart in the dog/pet section? I have never seen it there.

Yeh I stumbled across it one day and thought it would be a good idea.

Must admit I usually use the other ones though. Or I use it on loud settings for both dogs. I just find that loud is better with my 2.

Thanks everyone. I will buy an I-click one or 2 tomorrow.

I have an old fashioned one that I haven't used so I might start with that until I get the I-click one. It is for show training for 2 of my Elkies so the I-click will come in handy as it is quieter as well. I want to start training our new puppy when it arrives with a clicker as soon as possible.

Have you seen these books?

http://clickerpets.stores.yahoo.net/potrforshdor.html

http://clickerpets.stores.yahoo.net/cltowiavford.html

i-click for me (but I must admit I haven't tried the triple crown - except the one that's built into the handle of my target stick.) I like the i-click because it's easier to hold the treats in the same hand - and the food dowsn;t get stuck in the clicker :o .

I use the one I got from Alison Bull with her book on clicker training.

http://www.alisonscaninetrainingschool.com.au/book.html

Good book to read as well (and written by an Aussie which makes it even better)

I had an iClick (that I got from Lee Cogley) but I lost it :laugh:

It was a good clicker too.

I plan to buy 2-3 more clickers to remove any excuse not to use it.

In 3 weeks I have clicker trained a dog that hated obedience training up to the point where she is ready for CCD and loving it.

I use to not be able to let this dog off the lead but now I do nearly all training offlead!

Food and clicker... awesome combination.