yes totally understand :laugh:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a really good thread!

The camera in jpeg mode takes the photos I program into the settings not the manufacturer (digitals and film cameras are what you make them and they general take pretty damn good photos in jpeg as long as you get the settings right). Perhaps RAW is suited more to portrait photographers rather than sports action

A good example of getting your in-camera settings dialed in. You're still using what the manufacturer gives you instead of doing it yourself on your computer, but if it improves your workflow then that's a perfect example of how to use jpeg to good advantage! It's not a matter of jpegs not being good, it's a matter of having control of your images.

RAW is suited to anyone who wants to use it :laugh: It's all a matter of using the right tool for the job. Most of the sports shooters I know use RAW the majority of the time; many of them will shoot in RAW and jpeg together, too. I don't think the type of photography you do is really much of a determining factor for choosing a format.

When I am out taking pictures of birds in flight I don't want to be slowed down by RAW either. It could be the difference between getting the shot and not getting it. So for action, yes totally understand

Aren't you using a dslr? If so, using RAW shouldn't slow you down in normal shooting. Maybe in burst mode you can shoot more frames before the buffer fills, but that wouldn't be the usual, would it? I haven't noticed overfilling my buffer while shooting BIF and RAW but I don't do it all of the time either!

If you are using a compact, the RAW write times can be a real bear...my old, trusty, much loved Olympus 5050 was pretty slow in RAW LOL

Edited by kja

LOL the best threads are the ones that go well beyond the original post and bring in all sorts of ideas. I, for one, am really enjoying the time people are taking to contribute - I love to learn and try new ideas!

Now that's nailing the focus :confused: I'm not sure what shooting jpeg or RAW has to do with the image, but I love the focus!

Beach is our usual dog walkin' place, just down the road!

Buggered if I know what I was trying to illustrate, just sharing a jpeg action shot I suppose.

Beaches, seabirds....I need another road trip I think :confused:

My parents are visiting SW WA at the moment and I am jealous.

Jpeg image taken when I had only had my DSLR a month and didn't know how to use manual settings. Taken with kit lens which I no longer have to put up with now I have my sigma :confused:

2 shots taken in jpeg from an overseas trip, late 2006.

This was taken on Landscape mode. Levels slightly adjusted in PS, that's it. No polariser as I didn't know anything about them back when I did this trip.

Edited by Ripley

My parents are visiting SW WA at the moment and I am jealous.

It's so beautiful down there...too cold for my blood though :laugh:

Pretty town!

Now this is getting fun - I love photos :confused:

Now this is getting fun - I love photos

So do I. I love travelling more though and taking photos. That's the only reason I wanted to learn about my camera and get better lenses, so I can improve on travel shots.

LOL. I don't mind that shot seeing I had no idea what I was doing - just aimed and clicked. Getting down low and steadying the lens on my knee helped, I think.

It was in the Carmargue region of France, NOT Africa. :confused: