How Do I ...

ruthless

That brings back memories - the first horse I rode (bareback too)

was on red dirt. She was the sweetest QH mare, I was a total

beginner and she carried me safely over red dirt tracks and

in between grapevines :confused:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well said chezzy - the burst mode is of extreme importance in horse sports. The more the better in some cases. And photography is about what you can get out of your camera isnt it not what you can do on a computer - or at least maybe Im from the 'old school' and am sticking with it! The computer is a tool to enhance but should not 'make' the image. As I said that racing one was as it was taken except for a little cropping. With film photos unless you had the facilities to print your own images (and not many did have colour printers) you had to rely on the colour changes that the printing machine operator made to the images. They use to colour correct, lighten and darken but the customer collecting the photos would not know unless they asked.

All but one of the other professional horse racing and equestrian photographers I know of take photos using jpegs. Its suits sports photography especially something like horse racing where the faster the camera the better. I know that the 60 odd burst will be perfect for the victory gallops at the AIHT after the poor 10 D was on the verge of meltdown. They do two laps less than a minute and the 10D would do it but you would be waiting those precious seconds for it to write and clear the buffer. With the huge buffer in the 40D it will be much easier.

Being able to reel off a heap of shots helps with the yearlings too - yesterday there was one who wouldn't stand was fidgeting etc and once right then its to get the ears and eyes and tail right. Being living animals they blink they swish tails yet amongst the short bursts got every one eventually with the fidgeting one coming out perfectly in the end. Would hate to be waiting for the camera to write RAW when trying to take those pics.

yearling image

Edited by rubiton

This is for ruthless. Here are some photos I took with ruthless' mid 1990s model SLR, its lens and slide film. I didn't know exactly how it worked, ruthless, so just used the landscape settings. I tried to manually meter but it was very different from my 350D that way so I just used the program settings. I was experimenting to see how they would turn out.

Here you go, old film photos scanned in by a photo place and left alone. I cropped the lighthouse one and resized them, that's it.

These are from our road trip in January. The rest of my photos were shot on digital but mostly in raw and I don't have time to convert them all. Never again! I hate sitting on the computer at night.

Smoky Cape Lighthouse, Hat Head National Park near South West Rocks, NSW.

slide2.jpg

Thunderbolt's Lookout, Barrington Tops, NSW

slide.jpg

The sun setting, Barrington Tops ranges, NSW

slide4.jpg

Edited by Ripley

Er, what ruthless said. Her really old lens. :confused: Now I'm thinking I might buy a film camera and some slide film, learn how to use it properly. The only thing is I would have no idea when it's last been serviced - does that matter? You can pick them up pretty cheaply on ebay and OH said he saw one in a pawn shop the other day.

ETA: I took the Thunderbolts Lookout photo in digital and film as the hike there was only a kilometre from a picnic stop. When I pressed the shutter (I didn't have a tripod but steadied it on the lookout railing that was wide enough (I had the strap around my neck) it made this really slow whirring sound as it wound the film on, haven't heard that for years. The digital one came out blue as well but I don't remember the look out being THAT blue. It was blue but the slide film has intensified the colours, my digital image of the same scene is paler.

When I took it to Ken's to get developed the young bloke said to me, "Slide film, how retro!"

Edited by Ripley

Just like to say, Smoky Cape at Hat Head National Park is one of the most beautiful coastel sites I've seen. You can do the walk down to Hat Head beach and go through a cave around to another, isolated beach. A local told me it's a well kept secret, that cave. The park has camping facilities but if you wish, you can stay in the house on the photo above near the lighthouse. It's a B&B and charges $187 per night, per couple inluding a 3 course breakfast.

You can also rent the cottage in that photo - sleeps 6 - for a few days to a week.

We got there just as the light was fading, maybe next time.

Looks great!! The colours on these are really WOW! I love the mountains shot - just beautiful.

I never touch my old Canon film cameras any more - there's no where to get slides developed here and I can't wait for sending it away!

Ripley - I don't know what you're doing that's taking all this time with RAW! I'm lost. If you have the software, there's almost nothing to be done except hit a button :laugh: RAW isn't the be all end all, but it is another tool that is useful to learn how to use. I hate that you're having such a hard time with it - it's stories like these that scared me off at first!

Edited by kja

I have the photo of Smoky Cape Lighthouse (first one) as a desktop background on my monitor. Husband remarked as he saw it, "that's a nice photo". I told him it was the slide film. "Doesn't look real" he said. He said the colours are too vivid. No pleasing some - it's an unphotshopped slide! :laugh:

Thanks but I'm on a mac and they're PC only :rolleyes:

Mac's rule! I will email you some links to some great Photoshop actions.

just discovered this thread; i too have just become the proud owner of a beautiful mac and love it to bits - also noticed your wonderful photos in the dane thread and perused your website Charlotte; you're very talented and very generous to give information on here; I'm guessing that Photoshop is the best editing software to use on the mac? Wonder whether you'd mind posting links as a response to this? Cheers

Just found this thead, I should come in here more often.

First - We only shoot in large format jpeg - We went with RAW for a while but found it more time consuming. If you have your exposures right to begin with, then there is no reason to shoot on RAW.

as for the purist debate - photos worked on in the dark room are no different to photos edited in photoshop. I have seen many weird and wonderful compositions created in a dark room that most people wouldn't be able to copy with Photoshop. If you look up the categories for APPA competition (Aust Pro photography awards), it will tell you just how much or how little work is acceptable - whether in the dark room or on the computer. They DO have a photographic art category also for those images that just don't fit into traditional criteria. You want to see some heavy handed editing? Follow this link to have a look at the work of last year's winners - there is some stunning stuff there: http://www.aipp.com.au/aipphome.php?ID=240...nsors&A=?A=

There is more that I can add but I am too annoyed at the moment. I am a lover of film and much prefer it to digital but when shooting over 1000 images a week, the digital wins on ease of output and cost. I find it really offensive that there are people who consider PS cheating or 'unpure', when in reality, if you knew what you were doing in a dark room, you could reproduce many of the same effects.

Maybe I will come back later and add more when I have had more sleep.

great link, I really loved the Australian Editorial Photographer of the Year - that style really appeals to me

Steve (the editorial photographer) is a friend of ours. He fills in for us when we are too busy. Great guy and very talented :rolleyes:

Small world, anyway you can tell him that I said his work on the site just stands out from the rest and is sensational - and tell him I am jealous of his pond LOL

Edited by helen

Small world, anyway you can tell him that I said his work on the site just stands out from the rest and is sensational - and tell him I am jealous of his pond LOL

:rolleyes:

He lives in the middle of nowhere and has a nice set up on his property. I'll let him know he has an admirer :cheer:

First - We only shoot in large format jpeg - We went with RAW for a while but found it more time consuming. If you have your exposures right to begin with, then there is no reason to shoot on RAW.

This is a little oversimplified. There's much more to RAW than just tweaking exposures :)

RAW or jpeg - both are just tools to an end. Each has uses and each shooter will find something to meet particular needs for particular results.

There's no right or wrong way to do something in photography - it's one of the many things that makes it so much fun!