How Do I ...

ruthless

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nailing exposure and then post processing. Lightroom would be able to handle most of that pretty easily without even having to head into Photoshop.

Think of post processing as kind of the film days with psychic powers...with film/slides, you chose your brand, your type, your speed before you loaded your camera. Then you chose any filters etc that you needed. Then you had to get the shot. Then you chose your chemicals, your paper, your developing settings, your dodging, your burning etc. With digital (shooting RAW) almost all of the choices you made are now made after the shot (other than getting the shot, that's still the same :o ) and you can see them as you go - instead of having to do the trial and error with wait time! RAW untouched is like shooting film/slides and then leaving it in the canister - your images are realising their full potential.

You can also do editing with jpegs, so if you are using a compact, don't fret! With compacts that only have jpeg as an option also get in there and try out the different settings your camera has. They can make an enormous difference.

Take some shots, get into LR or PS or your choice of software and really move the sliders around and get way crazy. This is a great way to see what each option does. Go extreme so you really get a feel for how different things make stuff happen and how combinations go together. Then you can develop to taste.

Edited by kja

So, for the people that think using photoshop is cheating, is there a way to achieve those effects without it?

I did only film photography in college and I played around a lot with pushing and cross processing and doing my own prints. I loved it, but it's expensive! If I can get the same effects by post processing is that viewed as cheating by the purists?!

If I can get the same effects by post processing is that viewed as cheating by the purists?!

This is tricky. I try to use the settings on my camera (fuji finepix S8000..NOT SLR) to get colour/exposure to my liking.

I may crop and/or lighten the whole image a tad... but that's all I feel comfortable doing...to present my work as a "photograph"

If I put any more work into it..I think of it as an artwork :laugh:

I am so disillusioned by the wonderful images I see... I mentally congratulate the photographer on their skill..only to find so much digital 'brushwork' has gone into them :o

I mainly use P/S for 'playing' as it is intimidating to me........stuff like this I am starting to explore

http://www.redbubble.com/people/binjy/art/...theyre-watching

:laugh:

I haven't looked at the site mentioned..taking waaay too long to download on dial-up :laugh:

I gues one can do vignettes on P/S..by using the elliptical selection tool..and then putting pic on another background or something?

Sorry......... haven't tried it .

I know how to do it in PS, just wondering how to do it without PS :laugh:

How did you get that effect in photoshop? :o

Thankyouuu :laugh:

Hi, I didn't take them, but here's a few tutorial for you to try :laugh:

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog...mo-photography/

http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tut...lomography.html

As Chezzyr said, there's heaps out there, I found these by Googling "dark vignette tutorial photoshop"

I thought there were 2 kinds of photographers, ones that use photoshop and ones that don't!

Or, am I wrong, is there a certain amount of post processing that's acceptable to the ones that don't like photoshop.

Am I explaining myself properly?!

I don't do enough photography to fall into one category or another, but I can see myself being tempted to use PS as I'm a graphic designer and I use it most days. I'd like my photography to be good enough not to "cheat", so I'm wondering if I want those lovely saturated shots, and I'm not using film, is the only option to post process?

Too much thinking for so early in the morning :o

Wow if I had to 'post process'every single photo I think I'd go mad!!!

Actually taking the image correctly in teh first place in large jpeg wins for me (every time I read how you dont need to get anything right by the sounds of it in RAW - just post process - thats an awful lot of work on teh computer??). The whole idea of photography is to take the photo using the correct settings in the first place isn't it?

Photoshop simply give you the tools that they use to use to print a photo (the vignetting, the sepia tone, the cropping, etc) plus more for those who are into the arty effects. You tweak an image not totally redo it.

The photos above look like she has just adjusted contrast/curves etc and added vignette - a purist may add a filter to their lens to achieve the same effect rather than doing it in photoshop - but all the photoshop in the world won't rescue a bad photo.

here is a before and after photo for you using similar effect - I don't consider this cheating myself as I knew when I took the photo what I wanted and with digital always take the photo in color and convert to black and white later - this photo BTW was taken on a little pentax compact, it happens to have a swivel back so you can take this angle without having to get on the ground LOL

2312709451_07e8c47f84.jpg

2312709295_971ef52029.jpg

Ruthless: I do want to get back to you with some of my thoughts, I am just getting ready

to go to a doctor's appointment. Send some positive thoughts - I get worked up over

doctor's appointments :o

Here is one that would make the purist wince, but it has been accepted at national photography competitions, in the creative section so is still classified as photography

2313538602_feda6b1f3b.jpg

Edited by helen

Ruthless: I do want to get back to you with some of my thoughts, I am just getting ready

to go to a doctor's appointment. Send some positive thoughts - I get worked up over

doctor's appointments :laugh:

Thanks chezzyr, best of luck, hope it's nothing serious :o

Actually taking the image correctly in teh first place in large jpeg wins for me (every time I read how you dont need to get anything right by the sounds of it in RAW - just post process - thats an awful lot of work on teh computer??). The whole idea of photography is to take the photo using the correct settings in the first place isn't it?

:o and probably why my pics will never be "good" :laugh:

now..here is one I just played with..in PICASA http://picasa.google.com/ ........ simple and took about a minute :laugh:

post-1359-1204759452_thumb.jpg

polorising filters are popular for landscape and can increase blues in skies etc, different films had different chemical mixes so different films have more saturated colors than others