Proban

I am looking for an alternative way to protect my dogs from ticks. Right now they are on Advantix, but one of them seem to be sensitive/allergic to it.

Who is using Proban?

Has anyone had any problems with it?

I just had a look as someone else mentioned in on a thread and my boy gets really lethargic and goes off his food for a day or so with the advantix.

A bottle of 100 tablets were about $70 and you have to give 1 per 10kg of body weight on alternate days....

So for my 2 x 40kg dogs I would need 8 on each alternate day = 56/fortnight! ouch!

Someone else mentioned Permoxin which you can spray or use it as a rinse when you bath them? I might have to look into that instead?

Are the collars poisonous/dangerous if the dogs get them in their mouths though? When they are playing and biting the others neck?

I am not sure how poisonous they are, but it's exactly the reason why I wasn't considering one.

My two are playing all the time, so no collars for them unless we go for a walk.

Are the collars poisonous/dangerous if the dogs get them in their mouths though? When they are playing and biting the others neck?

The tick collars are very poisonous.We had a dog in the kennels at Christmas time who pulled off a Preventic collar off his mate and chewed it to pieces.We rushed him to the vet when we found him he was very sleepy by this time ,taking all the pieces of collar with us.The vet didn't think he had swallowed too much after trying to piece the collar together,but kept him in overnight anyway to be sure. He was treated with activated charcoal and had to have injections ,can't remember what that was,but apparentley was fit and well by 6pm and drove everyone mad with his barking,they were glad to get rid of him the next morning.Be very carfull if you decide to go with the tick collars.We do have a lot of clients who use Prban,although expensive seem to work very well with no side affects.But as always,talk to your vet first.

I personaly don't like or use chemicals on my own dogs,relying on natural methods.I put homeopathic Ledum in their water and spray them with a lemon rinse.this has to be done daily, but it is worth is knowing I am not putting chemicals in/on my dogs.

I use Proban for flea treatment on one of my dogs here as she has a super sensitive skin that can't tolerate spot ons.

I have also used Preventix tick collars without problem. They do smell strong and would be an issue with chewy dogs though.

You could try Frontline twice a month, it worked for ticks for me but not fleas as a once a month.

I used Proban for about 5 years during every tick season for my 2 bitches. One will be 13 this year and the other 10 and no problems. It is an organo phophate (sp?) so you must observe the precautions when handling it. I figured people live a lot longer than dogs so we have more chance of developing problems. Any chemicals are a risk. However, if you live in a paralysis tick area then your dog can die or suffer from a complication due to paralysis tick. Finding a tick on a heavily coated breed can be impossible.

I use Proban on my dogs when I travel to tick areas. Proban is an insecticide so you need to be careful combining it with other treatments. I like it because my dogs are usually swimming when we are at the coast and it covers every part of the dog. Having small dogs, I don't go through it fast either. However, long terms it's meant to be fairly hard on the liver.

Permoxin used as a rinse has about a week's residual effect. That might be another option. Some people make it up into a spray and spray daily.

I used proban on my previous dog for 6 - 7 years (every 2nd day non-stop) with no side effects. He was a very large dog (67kgs) and passed away at age 11. Before we used Proban we used frontline and he almost died from a tick.

We've used it now on Spud and Beanie for 12 months (from 6 months to 18 months old). There are so many ticks in this part of the world, it's too risky not to.

A neighbour's dog was on Proban for most of her life too (Kelpie x Lab), she was put to sleep at 17 due to chronic severe arthritis. Her elderly owner once took proban herself in stead of her heart medication. When she realised what she's done she rang the Poison's Hotline. They giggled and said "oh well, you won't have fleas this week" :laugh:

ED for typing

Edited by benny123

Proban is an organophosphate and could be extremely toxic if taken in large quantities. Sarin or nerve gas is an organophophate. I too found the info that said liver damage could result over the long term but I took a long term risk. As soon as my poodles went into pet trim I switched products - minimal exposure to all chemicals is preferable

I have used Proban now for almost 12 years, have not noticed any side effects, I also know a breeder who gives it to his bitches right through the pregnancy. All his dogs are fine and don't seem to have any effects from it.

Sue