Ear Plucking

Our breeder recommended that we pluck our Lagotto's ears regularly. I have tried it a few time with my fingers but poor thing yelps like she's being tortured :thumbsup: Have decided that it's best to leave it to the professionals!

2 questions-

1. What groomer in Brisbane would you recommend? (would prefer southside but can travel if needed)

2. How much should I expect to pay for just a pluck and clean?

Thanks!

Honestly, a groomer should simply be happy to show you for nothing. If you were local I know I would!!!

The first couple of times are usually bit tougher but then the hair starts to pull out quite easily down the track. Little bits at a time, with lots of verbal fussing and head scracthing/tapping at the same time, to distract them from the job at hand. :thumbsup:

She used to be shown so she's used to all the primping and prepping.. but her ears are extra sensitive so I feel bad about doing them myself. I am willing to try again if I can find something that will numb the pain a little.. do you have any suggestions?

They may be sensitive because there's debri in there, or she could be bunging it on :rolleyes:

One of my dogs will sit quietly and let me pluck for ages. The other carries on until he realises I mean business, and then settle down and move a muscle.

I use both fingers (for outside hair) and tweezer like things (can't remember the name - hair plucker tweezers for dogs). Works great :thumbsup:

Give it another go and even start out slowly - pluck, treat, pluck treat, 2 plucks, treat, 3 plucks, treat etc.

I've heard (but haven't tried) that talc powder makes gripping the hair easier - anyone know if this is true?

Edited by tramissa

Haemostats?

It could genuinely be hurting. I still cry like a baby getting my eyebrows waxed and take my own tube of Bonjela with me when I get it done.

I don't know anything about the coat of the Lagotto though. I do have some dogs which just can't handle the pain so they get clipped instead as best as possible.

Edited by Clyde

You dont pluck easr with your fingers .Use Locking forceps & all will be easy.

Some dogs will whine no matter what dont pander to the dog just get on with it.Also the dog is most likely use to having it done on the table .

The more the hair build up the harder it is so if your doing it yourself every 4 weeks would be ideal.It is very easy to do.

I just use a eyebrow tweezer to plug Manman's ears. He never like it and will whin a bit, just have to be firm and quick.

Start by plugging a little at a time and do it in seperate sessions. It's always hard and painful when first starting, it won't hurt as much with small amount of hair and swop ears frequently instead of finishing one ear first. Once they're all clear, it'll be a lot easier to maintain them.

I always dust with ear powder first, it gives you a much better grip of the hair and dries out the wax. I use my fingers and just quickly pull (rather then a sharp tug) just a few hairs at a time.

As you have an older dog from someone who would have been plucking the ears, just get on with the job, some dogs will try it on with a new person!

You guys are a wealth of information! :love:

Breeder's advice was to just use fingers and pluck gently.. I tried it again this morning but I couldnt tell if I was doing it right. I've booked her in for an appointment this Saturday. Hopefully the groomer can give me a quick lesson and next time I can just do it myself

thanks!

Sorry, slightly off topic. But do all the breeds need ear plucking?

I have a golden retriever and an aussie shepherd. The golden one seems to have quite a few of hairs in her ear or rather close to her ear canal.

I always dust with ear powder first, it gives you a much better grip of the hair and dries out the wax. I use my fingers and just quickly pull (rather then a sharp tug) just a few hairs at a time.

I use the ear powder too- makes it 100% easier to grab the fur.

I just buy one labelled "Ear Powder" from the pet shop.

I use fingers- little at a time. I only use tweezers occasionally if ears are particularly yucky.

I wouldn't bother with a groomer for this.

My standard poodle carried on at first, but responded well to a head lock with his body between my legs :mad.

Little bit at a time- don't try to get big chunks out at a time- that would hurt. Also, don't dump a large amount of powder into the ear- just a little, then add more if you need to.

you could also try doing the plucking while wearing surgical type rubber gloves or those little rubber finger thimbles the bank tellers use.

Just do a tiny bit at a time, the smaller the hair bunch, the easier it will come out & less stress on the dog.

fifi