New Puppy Wont Go Outside!

Whitecherry

Well I've had my gorgeous new puppy for almost 24 hours now, and he's managed to poop on the carpets at least 5 times.. I take him outside on the grass at least every hour, and last night I took him three times but he won't actually 'go' outside... he waits untill I bring him back in and then makes a deposit inside on the floor !! HELP!!!!

You really have to watch them like a hawk.

If he even looks like squatting , whip him outside.

Take him outside every 1/2 hour.

Take him outside immediately he wakes up from a sleep.

Take him outside immediately after eating or drinking.

After eating, drinking and sleeping you may have to stay outside with him for at least 1/2 hour.

It gets boring and takes a lot of effort but it really needs to be done.

Agree with both posts, it is such a nuisance but pups don't always seem to grasp the concept of what the great outdoors is for. I find the younger pups are harder also. I have a nice comfy seat, good lighting etc and often take a book out with me, as soon as pup produces a 'present' lots of praise and pats.

Maybe it will be easier for your pup if you start with puppy training pads or newspaper inside, once that is mastered start to move to outside toileting.

with mine, i started him on newspaper...that seemed to get the idea into his head that he couldn't just go anywhere he wanted. then after about 3 weeks, we moved it outside.

agree with the others, you have to watch them like a hawk...it's a pain in the ass, but you just have to put the hard yards in first to get your desired result.

the first 24 hours will feel like a whirlwind, so will the next couple of months! stick in there, it will be worth it :laugh:

Thanks for the suggestions... He's 12 weeks old, the breeder said that he's been going outside with all of the other dogs, so he has the idea of toileting outside. I take him out every hour or so, and he just lays down on the grass and goes to sleep, or runs around the yard like it's play time. As soon as you bring him back in, he toilets inside! My younger children had him outside for several half hour blocks yesterday afternoon and he didn't do anything, again went when he came in. I've had to confine him to a crate, which he hates and is making a huge racket...

How come cats litter train so easily and dogs seem to have trouble grasping the idea?? Strange...

Thanks for the suggestions... He's 12 weeks old, the breeder said that he's been going outside with all of the other dogs, so he has the idea of toileting outside. I take him out every hour or so, and he just lays down on the grass and goes to sleep, or runs around the yard like it's play time. As soon as you bring him back in, he toilets inside! My younger children had him outside for several half hour blocks yesterday afternoon and he didn't do anything, again went when he came in. I've had to confine him to a crate, which he hates and is making a huge racket...

How come cats litter train so easily and dogs seem to have trouble grasping the idea?? Strange...

Yeah my cats trained easily but now several 'spray', and they are girls!

Keep trying, my mothers dog did this as a pup (he would actually run inside to toilet then back out to play), took about a week and he got it. Perseverence, persistence and patience.

Oh yeah, glad it's you and not me - I HATE toilet training!

Edited to add, crate training can be really useful, takes a few days to teach it is a nice quiet place and your're good to go

Edited by lucknow

Dont come back inside with him until he has gone, even if that means you are outside waiting for half an hour :D Get a chair and a cuppa and wait :laugh:

Then praise like crazy when he does go !!

When u take your pup out for (wee wee)or whatever you call it; repeat the word over & over again :stay with pup til it performs do not go inside till mission acumplished ;& then praise praise praise!!ITs hard going to start with but it pays of in the long run good luck

When u take your pup out for (wee wee)or whatever you call it; repeat the word over & over again :stay with pup til it performs do not go inside till mission acumplished ;& then praise praise praise!!ITs hard going to start with but it pays of in the long run good luck

:laugh: :D :laugh:

this works like a dream

If there are any more inside the house accidents take the accidents (poop) outside to the area you want him to use and leave it there. This may help him to think that this is where he should go.

Make sure to clean carefully to remove any odor of previous accidents.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Do not give him free reign inside the house. If you cannot watch him put him in the crate with toys, pigs ears, kongs to occupy him or put him outside by himself. As soonas you take him out of the crate take him out side.

You need to break the cycle of pooping inside.

Edited by aranyoz

I agree with not giving him free reign in the house - he will just learn to pee everywhere if he is allowed to roam. We have a puppy pen and a crate and our girl spent a lot of time in there when we were toilet training her. She is now 13 weeks old and hasn't had an accident inside for about 2 weeks :laugh:

It is also important to be boring when you are outside waiting for your pup to toilet - if you are playing or being interesting then the pup will be more interested in you than toileting. If the pup lays down on the grass (mine did that too!) just keep walking around slowly. It can also help to have the pup on lead for training. It will mean he cannot run off and play. When he FINALLY does go, that is when he gets his praise and game. People often make the mistake of giving the pup a little praise and then going inside and ignoring the puppy - so to the pup it thinks that toileting ends the fun and that is why some wait until they are back inside. We are clicker training ours and once I stared to do that with toileting as well it all seemed to fall into place. I didn't actually say a word over and over again - I waited until she was actually peeing before saying it. That way I was sure that she was making the connection between the word and the act - otherwise she may have learnt the "toilet" means run around like an idiot!!

Good luck. One day he will just get it and you will wonder what all the fuss was about!

Trish :D

I also found that it was a waste of time getting my kids to take the puppy out. They would give it way to much stimulation and other interest and she would forget about going to the toilet and end up playing with them instead, only to come back inside and remember that she needed to go!!

:o:angel::rofl:

this works like a dream

Yes I agree, I can remember standing outside on cold winter nights for up to an hour but it has to be done and they do catch on pretty quickly. Just thinking about it makes be glad that I don't have any puppies at the moment, rather you than me :laugh:

You will find the cue word works better if you just say it once *as* your puppy goes to squat and your reward it after as they will pair the word with the action (muscle memory) of going to the toilet, and you won't have to wander around the garden repeating wee wee wee.

Also block off carpet areas as others have said.

When you go outside don't take the kids, they will just make the environment more exciting, be boring and have your pup on lead if you need to.

Lastly, your pup is still settling in to your home and away from his littermates so expect accidents over the next couple of weeks.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

and keep the puppy on a lead...no playing till the job is done.

Yep we will use the lead if need be but at this stage taking pup out with an excited voice tone with hi "toilet " command will give you success & consistantancy.

When out dont allow pup to sleep/play again with a bit of excitement to your voice walk around the area you wish instilling that word.Toileting can either be boring or fun & all our pups prefer fun,

If the kids take pup out for toilets they too need to follow the same routine & word.once the pup understands whats expected it will adjust quickly.

You dont want the pup to be over stimulated but you dont want it to be so bored it wont do anything

Thankyou all so much for your suggestions... We have made some progress, but still a long way off being totally reliable..

Can someone shed some light on why the pup can hold his bladder/bowel all night, (from around midnight to 7am), be taken out first thing, he will go outside (plenty of praise etc..) then not an hour later will crap on the carpet? If he can hold it all night long, why will he then go inside and not wait till taken out again? AArrrgh!!