Hydrobaths

ellz

I'm just about to have a major splurge and intend to buy myself a hydrobath.

Have never owned one before and want some info/advice before I take the plunge (pardon the pun). Until now, I've always had a good shower nozzle plumbed into my human bath and spent a lot of time on my knees hanging over the bath rinsing (and rinsing, and rinsing, and rinsing.....).

As I'm now on tank water to the house, I need a hydrobath that will not use too much water and preferably one that I can use moreso for rinsing than for shampoo distribution.

So....what brand is most cost effective and efficient. I'm guessing a twin tank would be more suitable so that I always have fresh water to rinse with.

Anything else?

I'm not sure it will suit your needs. When I use the hydrobath I still use the seperate fresh water hose I have installed to rinse and rinse and rinse. Rinsing with the hydrobath never works to my likings.

I don't mind rinsing, rinsing, rinsing but I just don't have the water pressure here that I could get from a hydrobath (we're only on gravity feed). And I'm getting too old to spend all of that time on my knees. :thumbsup:

ah ok. It will help with the pressure. I think you'll find that you will go through all the water in the rinse tank before it manages to refill it though. So you will probably have to rinse...wait while it refills....rinse....etc. Plumb it with hot and cold water so you dont need to also wait for it to heat up.

Do you only have cocker size dogs? If so you could get one of those halfsize hyrdobaths...I think Liberty make them.

Hi I use the hydrobath at work to bath my clients dogs and at home I use the ordinary bath with a shower nozzle for my own dogs, IMO it is harder on the back and shoulders using the hydrobath and as Ari stated you will need to empty and refill it a few times to rinse a dog properly.

I have just recently got a 2nd hand hydrobath. The best thing I ever did. I had an old bath out in the shed, with hot/cold water and a hand held shower nozzle and my back would be very sore after doing 6 dogs.

I now have a single tub hydrobath with heater, although because I have the hot/cold water right there I don't use the heater, just fill with the hydrobath from the shower hose with warm water. I also still have the shower nozzle attached so I bath with shampoo using the hydrobath and then rinse them off with the shower head. Hope I explained that well enough. We are on tank water as well and the rinse with the shower head, isn't as good pressure as the hydrobath, but does the job.

I use less shampoo now and quite enjoy bathing my dogs.

I still think I'll go for it and get one. Probably a twin tank. I've done some googling and there are a couple that will refill whilst you empty one tank so that could do the trick.

There is just NO way I could use our water pressure for rinsing a long-coated dog. I have even given up washing my own hair under our shower, the pressure is that bad. I have to wash it in the bath and use buckets to rinse. We only have gravity feed so the pressuer doesn't amount to much more than a trickle in the bathroom. The laundry is on a different tank (higher up the hill) and the pressure is quite good there but the trough isn't big enough to bath a dog in, especially not one of the larger dogs.

Yes they do fill while you empty but if you have bad water pressure its not going to fill up as quick as you pump out. That's what I was trying to get at in my previous post. You will still have to wait.

Thanks for the input Ari, it is really appreciated! I think that given the fact that it would take forever to rinse anyway, even just waiting for the tanks to fill to get the pressure from the hydrobath would be worthwhile. As well as being more aware of exactly how much water I'm using. I'm also having a grey water converter installed so I can get the hydrobath plumbed in to empty into that which will give me stock and garden water anyway so I won't feel as wasteful! :D

Now I have to decide which new dryer to get.....decisions decisions.....methinks I'm leaning towards a new Beacon Jetstream to complement my Liberty Ultraforce (ie one blows the water out, the other uses the heat and air to straighten whilst brushing).

:love:

I still think I'll go for it and get one. Probably a twin tank. I've done some googling and there are a couple that will refill whilst you empty one tank so that could do the trick.

There is just NO way I could use our water pressure for rinsing a long-coated dog. I have even given up washing my own hair under our shower, the pressure is that bad. I have to wash it in the bath and use buckets to rinse. We only have gravity feed so the pressuer doesn't amount to much more than a trickle in the bathroom. The laundry is on a different tank (higher up the hill) and the pressure is quite good there but the trough isn't big enough to bath a dog in, especially not one of the larger dogs.

Have you considered installing a pump on the supply from the tank(s)? -- would give you pressure for dogs AND people.

Have you considered installing a pump on the supply from the tank(s)? -- would give you pressure for dogs AND people.

This was going to be my suggestion too.

I have tank water only and have fantastic water pressure. I just have a regular hose nozzle in the bath out in our shed, with hot and cold water. I bath my Afghan without too much trouble.

I originally did consider getting a hydrobath, but I really think I'm better just with the normal human bath I have. I just think it is easier to get right under him and his long coat, rather than trying to reach down into a hydrobath and up under his coat. Hope that bit made sense! :o

We did look into it but at the moment we aren't going to do anything because there is a possibility of some form of town water going on here. Just not sure when. And if that did happen, it would make the hydrobath even more efficient.

I'm just tired of spending so many hours on my knees over a bathtub twice per week. When I add the time it takes over the tub to the time it takes to dry and then trim, my knees and back ache at just the thought of it! :vomit:

I'm just tired of spending so many hours on my knees over a bathtub twice per week. When I add the time it takes over the tub to the time it takes to dry and then trim, my knees and back ache at just the thought of it! :vomit:

Fair point .. I usually end up IN the tub at some point because it's more comfortable .. and I don't wash my dogs that often anyway so can't justify a h/b.

I have had my Liberty twin tank for just over 5 yrs now and I love it. The rise tank is huge, no need to refill to rinse. I have washed and rinsed Newfoundlands with my bath and don't need to refill the rinse tank unless they were VERY dirty to begin with or badly covered in fleas. You will be able to rinse both your greyhounds with the one tank, no problems.

I have one adult Rottweiler and 2 pups that are just about 6 mths old. I can wash both the pups in the one bath saving on water and the rinse tank still has enough water in it to rinse my smaller dogs if I wash them too. I have not had a problem with this bath, I do rinse them well.

I have seen other brands too. Some only have 2 small water tanks, not allowing enough water to rinse very good. (sort of like 2 wash water tanks).

The one from the Melbourne Dog Center is also a beauty as it also has a huge rinse tank.

If you have hot water avail you could save heaps on the bath without heat.

Give them a ring at Liberty they will explain the difference and talk to you about what bath will suit your needs best.

Pm me for their phone number if you like.

When I need to replace my bath I will be going back to Liberty. I have been asked if I have shares with Liberty as I recommend them all the time when the Question of "Which Bath" comes up. No I don't but boy oh boy I wish I did.... :vomit:

Just spoke to Chris at Liberty. What a helpful, helpful guy! Knew exactly what I was on about, explained things really clearly in "woman speak" and not in words that sound good but mean nothing.

Thanks for the heads-up and the referral to Liberty, I think I've found my hydrobath! Not cheap, but not that much more expensive than other companies and manufactured by people who know show dogs.

:rofl:

Liberty have a great rep Ellz. I haven't actually got anything of theirs myself but have used their products in salons and know heaps of groomers that are happy with them. Built to last!

I'm consdiering the Beacon atm too - they also have a good rep.

My first stand dryer was one of the original old Beacons. It was about 20 years old when I purchased it, and I used it for 17 years with only one breakdown and only one problem with the actual movement bit of the head. It travelled from Hobart, to Sydney and back to Hobart and didn't let me down. I only sold it when I bought a Liberty stand dryer, which I decided I didn't like anyway! Probably the only product of theirs that I don't like.....but I do have their ultraforce which is great for the smooth coats, blasting the water out of the long coats before drying with the heated dryer and for blowing the cobwebs and dust bunnies out of the grooming room! :rofl:

Looking forward to getting another Beacon, I think it'll feel like putting on a comfy old pair of shoes!

I have sent off an enquiry to the Melbourne Dog Centre about their hydrobaths and dryers too, just so I can make a good rounded decision but I think I know where I will spend my money. ;)

• 2 weeks later...