Hip Dysplasia

My approx 7 month old foster dog has just been diagnosed with hip dysplasia in one hip. The vet said to get him xrayed again in 6 months and that there is a small chance the hip could grow in to the socket.

Has anyone had a young dog diagnosed with HD but had it grow in to the socket normally once the dog matures?

I have done a search on HD as I have never had a dog with it but any advice or experiences would be much appreciated.

In my experience no, dogs diagnosed with hip dysplasia general worsen with age. If your dog was showing clinical signs of HD at 7 months of age (I'm assuming that's why you had him x-rayed) the chances of him improving are negligible. Does this vet have a lot of experience with joint problems in dogs? If he doesn't I suggest you find a vet who is an expert in the field.

In my experience no, dogs diagnosed with hip dysplasia general worsen with age. If your dog was showing clinical signs of HD at 7 months of age (I'm assuming that's why you had him x-rayed) the chances of him improving are negligible. Does this vet have a lot of experience with joint problems in dogs? If he doesn't I suggest you find a vet who is an expert in the field.

Ditto

I also don't think they can 'grow out of it' :love: The way the bone is shaped wouldn't change...

BUT.. as the dog matures, muscle mass/strength around the joint may increase and hold the joint together better... for a while ... perhaps this is what they were thinking?

Thank you for your responses. I am in the initial stages of this so am quite up in the air at the moment. I am not sure of the level of experience this vet has with joint problems but I will definately be getting other opinions.

Thank you for your responses. I am in the initial stages of this so am quite up in the air at the moment. I am not sure of the level of experience this vet has with joint problems but I will definately be getting other opinions.

Where are you bosko, if you're in Sydney I'd recommend Karen Hedberg at North Richmond or Rob Zammit at Vineyard, in Melbourne Ray Ferguson at Monash Vet Clinic. If it's one of the other states I'm sure someone will be able to suggest a suitable vet.

I know of dogs who have shown signs of HD between 6 and 12 months who have then had very good hip scores when over 12 months. I am not sure whether they were initially diagnosed with xrays or just through the symptoms.

i *think* where the dog has one hip xrayed and assessed as HD

and the other hip is normal

it suggest the HD is the result injury/environment

rather than genetic HD.

(not sure if genetic is the right word as there is always a genetic component...

hmm not thinking well today...)

think 'hereditary' could be a better word.

Edited by lilli

You cant "diagnose" HD through any other method than an X-ray. There are really no external "symptoms" that are HD specific, including lameness or reluctance to rise etc, that clearly indicate HD. Many dogs with severe HD show no symptoms whatsoever. Some dogs with mild HD carry on like pork chops. And the way that a dog walks is NOT an indication of HD.

If the vet is talking about the hip "growing" into the socket, it might be that the x-ray showed subluxation, which can sometimes be improved with exercise such as swimming and diet. If the vet is talking about any other kind of "growing" int the socket, I'd change vets.

And get an expert opinion from a vet with experience in the field, as the others have said.