Cycling With Your Dog

I never thought my boy would take to it but there you go! We are having great fun at high speed! thanks to ruthless and partner for putting the idea in my head...my boy is ignoring other dogs on and off lead on route...it's simply amazing...I'll post some pics soon of the goofy flyer!

I never thought my boy would take to it but there you go! We are having great fun at high speed! thanks to ruthless and partner for putting the idea in my head...my boy is ignoring other dogs on and off lead on route...it's simply amazing...I'll post some pics soon of the goofy flyer!

I thought it was illegal to lead your dog off a bike!?! Am I wrong?

In some places I think its illegal to lead your dog off a bike on public roads, paths or walk ways. I usually go to vacant parks, the showgrounds or sporting fields and I've got a mountain bike that does well on grass and a walky dog bike attachment.

Edited by Rom

Has anyone tried cycling with a BC? I'm keen, but have a horrible feeling my two (boy in particular) would end up trying to herd me and it would all end in tears for everyone!

Yep - trained my two up for ET a couple of years ago - and got it, in spite of me falling off - it was foul weather, wet gravel road, and Fergus shook really vigorously - don't blame him, it was sleeting right in his face! My agility training partner did it with her BC too.

We had to start off just getting used to riding our bikes on our own (it had been a looong time, and we're no longer young :laugh: .) Then we rode with a dog off lead - on her property. Then added a lead while the dogs got used to it (I had to do one of mine at a time) - we were still on her property - couple of hundred metre driveway. Finally took the show on the road - well,not literally - it is illegal to ride on a public road with a dog in Tasmania - so we used bike path/footpaths/private roads in parks.

I should add that our dogs were about 4 at the time, and trained and competing in obedience and/or agility, and were under good verbal control. I used a harness for my bitch, since she can back out of her collar very easily. And I used a slightly longer lead for one dog, so they didn't get tangled. They worked it out pretty quickly.

We still go for a ride sometimes just for fun.

I haven't checked out the legalities to be honest. I ride on the footpath with mine and I know bicycles aren't supposed to be on the footpath so it's probably a bit legally suss. I've ridden past police before though and they didn't even look concerned so I guess it'd need to be a slow day for them to bother fining me.

I do ride slowly with him on the footpath, so he's just going at a light jog and dismount when passing pedestrians to make sure there's enough room. He only gets a good sprint if we're on an oval or wide path where I can see what's coming as I don't want to be pulled off if he sees another dog :eek:

In Victoria it is illegal. But they have a special exemption for the ET. I don';t think anyone would fine you for it unless you caused an accident. I have all 3 dogs down to the park off lead whilst I ride the bike. Great when its raining, and you want to exercise the dogs quickly. My border collie is busy trying to round up the flatcoated retriever and doesn't worry about me on the bike.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyre...1/0/part_18.pdf

301. Leading an animal while driving a vehicle

A person must not lead an animal while driving a motor vehicle or riding a

bicycle.

Penalty: 1 penalty unit.

Note Bicycle is defined in the dictionary, and motor vehicle is defined in the Road Safety

Act 1986.

Road Rules - Victoria

r. 299

Edited by whatevah

Has anyone tried cycling with a BC? I'm keen, but have a horrible feeling my two (boy in particular) would end up trying to herd me and it would all end in tears for everyone!

Yep - trained my two up for ET a couple of years ago - and got it, in spite of me falling off - it was foul weather, wet gravel road, and Fergus shook really vigorously - don't blame him, it was sleeting right in his face! My agility training partner did it with her BC too.

We had to start off just getting used to riding our bikes on our own (it had been a looong time, and we're no longer young :thumbsup: .) Then we rode with a dog off lead - on her property. Then added a lead while the dogs got used to it (I had to do one of mine at a time) - we were still on her property - couple of hundred metre driveway. Finally took the show on the road - well,not literally - it is illegal to ride on a public road with a dog in Tasmania - so we used bike path/footpaths/private roads in parks.

I should add that our dogs were about 4 at the time, and trained and competing in obedience and/or agility, and were under good verbal control. I used a harness for my bitch, since she can back out of her collar very easily. And I used a slightly longer lead for one dog, so they didn't get tangled. They worked it out pretty quickly.

We still go for a ride sometimes just for fun.

So there's hope for us yet.

My two are still under 2 (17 months and 22 months or there abouts). Both are competing in flyball and the older one is competing in agility - both with good verbal control.

I think my bitch would be OK pretty quickly, but the herding force in my boy is WAAAAAAAAAAY strong so we'd have to do a fair bit of work on that one!

Thanks heaps for answering.

We have been riding a bit lately, normally between 6-8 km

I have found that the things that normally distract the dogs on a walk arent as interesting while riding, and we also ride at night, with lights on the bikes, so I guess that helps too

Molly can try to cross sometimes but more so when we slow down to cross a road, so I give her to hubby :laugh: