Hand Touches

OK, my dogs know how to target my hand, but I am having troubles teaching them to keep on touching (stay connected with my hand) until released.

They will do multiple touches but when I rise criteria they just start licking my hand and doing other crazy stuff (nothing remotely close to a longer touch).

Any suggestions?

Btw I do try to give them food near the hand they are targeting.

Please try and let me know how you go! :eek:

Esp if your dogs start to:

paw the target

play hockey with the target

lick the target

or get even more creative ;) :)

Edited by laffi

just do x10 at 5 to 10 seconds when all ten are done with out a mistake (reward with food when no mistake is made)

when done do another x10 and adding 5 to 10 sec with out a mistake and follow that method

if your dog makes a mistake start from the start

and always finish on a high for the dog

there would be others but thats all i can think off at the moment

Edited by cramet

laffi - in the middle of trying it now with 2 very short clicker sessions - I *think* he's starting to get the idea but is not volunteering it yet. I have switched to using the back of my hand as a different cue - whether he picks that up or not :) I started by placing my hand gently on his nose and clicking when he held his head still. I tried to do it when he was lying down/standing/sitting/watching me or not so he didn't think he was getting rewarded for something he knows.

And yes, he's whined, licked, pawed and even play bowed to try and get a response :eek: I'll give him a break and try again later - he works better that way :eek:

PMSL - he's just targeted the sleeping cats and can't work out why he didn't get a reward ;)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

laffi - in the middle of trying it now with 2 very short clicker sessions - I *think* he's starting to get the idea but is not volunteering it yet. I have switched to using the back of my hand as a different cue - whether he picks that up or not :) I started by placing my hand gently on his nose and clicking when he held his head still. I tried to do it when he was lying down/standing/sitting/watching me or not so he didn't think he was getting rewarded for something he knows.

And yes, he's whined, licked, pawed and even play bowed to try and get a response :eek: I'll give him a break and try again later - he works better that way ;)

I think it's a great idea to:

- use the back of your hand

- hold it and click when he is still (doing all different stuff)

I think you are up to something. Can't wait to get home and try it now!

or get even more creative :love: ;)

Does picking up the target and handing it to you count as more creative?!?! :)

ETA - ok - HATE people that WORK from home.... :eek: huh TSD.... shouldn't you have uni work to do!?!?! I remember *back in the day* that MY course certainly left me NO time to lax off..... :eek::love::laugh:

Edited by leopuppy04

LOL JulesP that's gorgeous :)

LP - gave myself a day off today after doing my Honours project proposal presentation yesterday as well as handing in another essay. Of course I decided to duck out and do a few things early and got stuck in peak hour traffic for 3 hours waiting for a tow truck for my car didn't I :eek:

Brock is very polite with his nose and only wanted to do gentle quick touches.

Poppy was happy to keep her nose on my hand for quite a while. She isn't a real licker and just sniffed a bit. I used verbal encouragement to keep her in that position.

ETA both dogs already do touching. Was just looking at extending the touch.

Edited by JulesP

Hmm I tried it at heel and as expected I got a nose touch to the leg rather than to the hand. But she would hold duration on that without a problem.

ETA. :eek: LP cos i am working from home as well.

Edited by ness

Are you training with a clicker?

In general have you taught either.........

hold/freeze

or

a release word from position

If so, can you incorporate either of these?

Maybe start incorporating into a trick the dog knows well............and then add to this one.

I have the opposite problem with Ranger.........he keeps his paw touching my hand by just curling over his toes and digging his claws in. Ouch!

Ignore the licking, try and reward before the dog licks and very gradually increase the length of time the dog targets.

You may have more luck starting with a target stick or with a round plastic lid, then transferring the behaviour to your hand - some dogs have more succes to begin with with one item but not the other, so your dog might be brilliant with a plastic lid but not your hand at the beginning, just try different targets

How is it going everybody? :rofl::confused::o:rofl:

We had a good session yesterday. I tried to hold my hand touching their nose. Midge wasn't a big fan and was waking backwards a little but after a while she got an idea, so she was trying to push my hand more and for (slightly) longer. Laffi is getting better too, although still licking sometimes.

I did notice that if I don't click, but bring the reward when they are still targeting it helps a lot.

(if I click they move their head towards me and it's not what I want)

http://synalia.com/overview-of-sats-bridge-and-target/

There was a lady called Kayce Cover who came out a few years ago, and she taught duration by doing bridge and target training. I found it a bit complicated but read the above link. I remember about something where you move your hand towards the dog or slightly vibrate it and keep saying a letter such as "x" continually while the dog is doing what you want. I remember something intermediate bridges etc. Like I said I found it very confusing. So read the above link.