Nutro No Longer Available In Australia

4 Paws

I received an email from the importer this morning notifiying that Nutro will be unavailable immediately till furthur notice

The manufacturer being unable to meet the import requirements of the Aust Quarantine Inspection Service.

They require the product to be cooked at a higher temperature and pressure than the company would consider nutritionally acceptable

That's a real bummer :thumbsup: , my dogs do so well on Nutro. I'm glad I read this as I've been able to order another two bags, they'll be the last I suppose. Oh well looks like it's back to Eagle Pack, nothing wrong with EP, but Nutro seems to really suit my dogs.

Thanks for posting 4 Paws, much appreciated.

Yep Miranda its a real bummer when we have been feeding for 7 1/2 years. :)

The notification goes on to say that these temperatures and pressures are, to their knowledge, higher than is required anywhere else in the world.

There is an alternative which has been proposed by A.Q.I.S., and that is Gamma Irridiation, which is NOT acceptable to Nutro, its retailers, or its consumers.

There was an instance late last year where some of Nutro's Lamb and Rice had been affected by the irridiation and it left a bad smell to the product which caused dogs here not to touch it. Those bags were immediately recalled.

There was an instance late last year where some of Nutro's Lamb and Rice had been affected by the irridiation and it left a bad smell to the product which caused dogs here not to touch it. Those bags were immediately recalled.

Yes I bought one of those bags and the food had a really strange smell to it, a bit like rancid oil, it was revolting, quite unacceptable.

This is bad news, indeed. I've raised my two on Nutro since 8 weeks of age and they are so healthy, shiny and a perfect weight. Not sure what I'll feed now - I was so happy with Nutro.

It makes me wonder though, about other imported foods - are they cooked at higher temperatures thereby reducing the nutrient content or irradiated on arrival to satisfy AQIS!

Sadly, I've not found an Australian made kibble that I would feed. :)

Yep Miranda its a real bummer when we have been feeding for 7 1/2 years. :)

The notification goes on to say that these temperatures and pressures are, to their knowledge, higher than is required anywhere else in the world.

There is an alternative which has been proposed by A.Q.I.S., and that is Gamma Irridiation, which is NOT acceptable to Nutro, its retailers, or its consumers.

I stopped using it after that happened. I am now on Nutrience Holistic and the dogs are doing really well on it!

Yes I bought one of those bags and the food had a really strange smell to it, a bit like rancid oil, it was revolting, quite unacceptable.

Me too, but after that bag was replaced i kept feeding.

I recently changed due to trouble with Daire. If he had no trouble we would have stuck with it.

It is a shame as i know many dogs do really well with it.

Started feeding mine in NZ in late Oct 2000 when I weaned Jazz and Panda, they will both be 8 this Sept.

Have Maddie and Rocco here, 7 months and 3.5 months who are on Nutro puppy.

They all have a little Ziwipeak but Nutro has formed the basis of their diet. Will probably go with Ziwipeak but Ziwipeak dont make either a puppy, senior or light formula. :)

I phoned OH and told him of the dilemma. He went via our current supplier on the way home from work and picked up 37.5kgs of Lamb & Rice. At least it gives me breathing space to find a suitable alternative.

Our current supplier was under the impression that there were supplies in containers on the docks, unless, of course these are the containers that AQIS won't clear.

I suggest anyone feeding Nutro go to their current supplier and see if they can get some for the interim.

I phoned OH and told him of the dilemma. He went via our current supplier on the way home from work and picked up 37.5kgs of Lamb & Rice. At least it gives me breathing space to find a suitable alternative.

Our current supplier was under the impression that there were supplies in containers on the docks, unless, of course these are the containers that AQIS won't clear.

I suggest anyone feeding Nutro go to their current supplier and see if they can get some for the interim.

not a great deal at the wharehouse either and they are not filling any orders.Was no mention about containers on the docks though

Let the Minister know what you think about this:

The Hon Tony Burke MP, Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.

Party: Australian Labor Party

Parliament House Contact

PO Box 6022

House of Representatives

Parliament House

Canberra ACT 2600

Tel: (02) 6277 7520

Fax: (02) 6273 4120

Email: [email protected]

Electorate Office Contact

Kingsgrove Office:

Suite 204

1-5 Commercial Road

Kingsgrove NSW 2208

Postal Address:

PO Box 324

Kingsgrove NSW 1480

Tel: (02) 9554 3808

Fax: (02) 9554 3504

• 4 weeks later...
Sezy, did you go ito early hibernation for the winter :)

Must have. :)

It was my birthday the day that this thread was going round and so I was not in here and everything was fine when I last got the nutro....

Sezy, did you go ito early hibernation for the winter :)

Must have. :)

It was my birthday the day that this thread was going round and so I was not in here and everything was fine when I last got the nutro....

It was very sudden for everyone.Distributors had no warning.

I've switched my lot over to Orijen now and doing very well

That is just awful - Nutro is an excellent food. Typical of AQIS to change the rules for no good reason. The chance of any viruses etc being brought into the country in this food would have to be zilch.

Why do you think AQIS changed the rules. They don't make the rules.