Sophie Won't Come To Be Picked Up.

Sophie, longcoat Chihuahua, is the perfect little dog EXCEPT when we try to pick her up for a cuddle. She will come over so we can pat her under her chin but as soon as we try to pick her up, she runs away.

BUT if she wants to be picked up she will just stand there, but not often. Also if we sit on the couch she runs over and jumps up and comes to us. When it is bedtime she jumps on the bed and comes over for a cuddle, she sleeps with us at night no worries.

How can we get her to come over and let us pick her up? It is her only flaw.

Thanks in advance.

Most dogs of any size hate being picked up. It is quite normal.

Try starting off with food treats when you pick her up, or .........don't pick her up.

Personally, I would refrain from letting the dog sleep in your bed. It "can" start behavioral problems.

Have you got kids if you have theres a good chance theyve picked her up wrong and maybe hurt her Im not being mean or nothing but kids often dont know how to pick up dogs properly or they do it all the time and the dog gets jack of it. Other than that she maybe doesnt like being picked up period most dogs dont and youve gotta remember theyre not toys or babies to be picked up and carried round. My dogs are a bit bigger than yours but I wouldnt even try to pick them up coz theyd hate it.

Edited by Paganman

Thanks for your replies.

She is 9 months old and no we don't have children and she doesn't hurt anywhere. As you all have said it is just a normal thing. When she does allow herself to be picked up, mostly by my husband, she sits on his knee for ages and loves being cuddled.

We will just have to respect her choice not to be picked up unless she wants to be.

Moggy.

I think that it is important you teach her to be ok with being picked up as there are many occasions where she might need to be handled thus in case of emergency, at the vet etc.

Is she ok with being handled generally on the ground? Can you touch her all over without her objectiong, paws, legs, stomach etc?

Compared to you she is reaaaaally tiny, so it's not surprising that she finds it a little daunting to be picked up. Assuming there is no medical issue, ie she is in pain, and she is generally ok with being handled I would start by sitting on the ground and picking her up to sit on your lap, reinforcing her for being calm and relaxed and slowly progress by rasing the height to which you lift her up as she is happy at each level. You might go from holding her in your lap on the floor, to holding her in your lap while kneeling, crouching, from your lap to supported in your arms and gradually to standing up. When you pick her up always do it slowly and gently, ensuring that she is fully supported.

Have regular training sessions, a few minutes a few times a day and for the time being I would make these sessions the only time she gets treats (when she is behaving appropriately), if there is something that she particularly likes.

When you pick her up what is your intention??Do you do the same as your husband,just a nice sit there & be patted or are you wanting more??

Not every dog is a cuddler but often it is what the humans want during the cuddle that can feel intimidating to any dog no matter what the size & there reluctance to be picked up or especially by certain people.

Hi...

So..she jumps up when SHE wants attention?

SMART COOKIE!!

You need to start being the boss/es.

Don't give her cuddles etc EXCEPT when YOU call her to you.

Don't allow her to jump onto the furniture anytime she desires...only when YOU call her.

If she does it otherwise, push her away..get up , or turn away WITHOUT speaking.This denies her attention(reward) for her pushy behaviour!!

When you call her, offer a treat, maybe...then when she comes, praise her cuddle her, whatever she loves!

Sounds as though she is clearly dictating the terms with you guys!! :eek:

Exactly my thoughts, Kelpie-i.

Moggy - have a think about how many other things occur on her terms and not yours. And how that has come about.

Hi...

So..she jumps up when SHE wants attention?

SMART COOKIE!!

You need to start being the boss/es.

Don't give her cuddles etc EXCEPT when YOU call her to you.

Don't allow her to jump onto the furniture anytime she desires...only when YOU call her.

If she does it otherwise, push her away..get up , or turn away WITHOUT speaking.This denies her attention(reward) for her pushy behaviour!!

When you call her, offer a treat, maybe...then when she comes, praise her cuddle her, whatever she loves!

Yeah, absolutely. It's not easy (I mean, who wants to ignore a cute little doggy?) but it's absolutely essential- currently it sounds like she's getting lots of reinforcement for dictating when and what can happen.

It's important to be able to pick her up comfortably, such as in situations like vet visits, but otherwise I generally try to avoid picking up my little dog.