Are They Fighting Or Playing?

Friday

Hi

I am a long time reader first time poster.

On Sunday we bought a puppy westie (Maxo). Today is his third day living with us. We've got a mini-schnauzer (Friday) who's been with us since last August. Friday is really calm and you can say shy, she never barks and shows no aggression at all when playing with other dog.

But since Maxo came, she started acting really aggressive. Below is a footage I took this afternoon, they fight pretty much like that all day until they are tired.

I am worried that Friday is gonna hurt Maxo as he's so small. I know all the dogs are territorial, I really need your advice on how to bring them together.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I am a long time reader first time poster.

On Sunday we bought a puppy westie (Maxo). Today is his third day living with us. We've got a mini-schnauzer (Friday) who's been with us since last August. Friday is really calm and you can say shy, she never barks and shows no aggression at all when playing with other dog.

But since Maxo came, she started acting really aggressive. Below is a footage I took this afternoon, they fight pretty much like that all day until they are tired.

I am worried that Friday is gonna hurt Maxo as he's so small. I know all the dogs are territorial, I really need your advice on how to bring them together.

Thanks in advance.

It looks like they are just play fighting :) Nothing to worry about unless Friday gets a bit rough, but I'm sure Maxo will let her know by yelping if she does hurt him.

Playing.

If you notice your little westie keeps coming back for more and the schnauzer backs of at times. I have no sound on this PC but playing can sound quite ferocious. If you are worried about her hudting him you could supervise their play time until he is larger, but she doesn't seem to rough to me.

My two play like that ALL day. When Dusty was very little, I'd supervise and keep the sessions short. Now she's bigger and just as rough as her "brother" they spend all day together. When she's had enough she snoozes in her bed and he snoozes in the garden. Once they're rested, they go right back into it!

Thanks for your reply.

We work full time, so they spend the most of the day together. Do you think it is necessary to separate them during the day while we are not home.

Yesterday the first day they are home together, when we got home, we can't find Maxo, it turns out that Friday flapped Maxo's bed over and trapped him under the bed.

I was wondering if we should put them in separate rooms until Maxo grows a little bit bigger.

Thanks.

Guest Tess32

Personally, I would separate puppies as they having growing bones and adults can play a bit too rough sometimes :)

Personally, I would separate puppies as they having growing bones and adults can play a bit too rough sometimes :)

Hi Tess32,

Do you have any experience of how to bring a new pupp into your family and not making your dog jealous. I am trying to separate them at dinner time, but Friday always jumps into Maxo's bowl though the food is exactly the same.

Guest Tess32

Hi Tess32,

Do you have any experience of how to bring a new pupp into your family and not making your dog jealous. I am trying to separate them at dinner time, but Friday always jumps into Maxo's bowl though the food is exactly the same.

Well I've recently bought a male pup into a house with another male and a bitch :)

Feed them separately - no point tempting fate IMO. Meal time should be stress-free for dogs anyway so simply feed one first, then the other.

The dogs WILL work out their own pack structure between themselves, but you need to provide clear rules and boundaries for both :)

If they compete for your attention - pushing each other to get to you, that's pretty normal :p Just remember to give affection when YOU want to and not when they demand it ;)

we have 14 minis that play like that everyday of the year.

That is most defiantely not aggression.Just make sure you allow time out for pup & if you feel your mini is getting a tad bositrous just calmly say"gentle"

Feeding time means place them away in different rooms.one inside /other outside but dont enable bad habits.

minis are very social dogs & will share the food bowls but every dog should be able to eats its own food in peace.

Westies on the other hand can be a true terrier so its important to make sure you are the boss & not the dogs.There is no pack structure in our house everyone is equal & no one is the boss.

:laugh: Playing. Just make sure they are always supervised and don't let it get rough, the pup is too small.When it's larger it will give the schnauzer a run for it's money :rolleyes: They look like great friends in the video. :D

Thanks all for your replies.

I have another question about crate training. should I leave my puppy in the crate over night, I don't think he can hold more tha 2 hrs. Also when I am doing the crate training should I put Friday in another room, so Maxo won't distracted?

thanks again.

Guest Tess32

How old is he? If he's only three months old or so then get up once in the middle of the night to take him out for a pee.

Your dogs are just gorgeous. I usually separate baby puppies from older dogs when I am not home, just for safety. It will also teach him a little independence. If Friday is still only a pup herself (under a year) she could be a bit rough in her play. An adult dog usually has more control and is usually more gentle, and a pup the same age would be okay. But 2 pups different ages, not so safe. Look forward to seeing more pics as they grow.

My puppy is nearly 13 weeks and she is waking me up when she needs to go to the toilet, usually at about 5-6am (she goes to bed around 9:30-10pm). Pretty good really. She sleeps in a box next to my bed at the moment so she can't get up without me, same as a crate.

Wagging tails and the bouncing tell you it's play. The schnauzer could get under the table, but lets the little one take a break.

I have a nearly 20kg weight difference between my mini and standard poodle, though the little one's the boss.

They sound as if trying to kill each other at times, but it's all play.

I separate dogs at mealtimes, so I know who's eating what.

Our smaller (older) dog was stealing food and becoming overweight.

Do a search about crate training- heaps of info here.

Thanks all for your replies.

I have another question about crate training. should I leave my puppy in the crate over night, I don't think he can hold more tha 2 hrs. Also when I am doing the crate training should I put Friday in another room, so Maxo won't distracted?

thanks again.

You'll probably find that if you crate Maxo at night, he'll only need to toilet once or twice a night at the most. (Don't provide any water to drink at night in the crate). Will he be crated in your bedroom so you can hear when he needs to go out? You didn't mention where Friday usually sleeps. I wouldn't change her sleeping habits, if she sleeps in your room, I wouldn't move her.

Edited by LuvMyCav

If you saw our Greyhound (35kg) and Mini Poodle puppy (now 5kg but 2kg when we got her) playing you would be horrified!! But they think it is great fun. It is actually the Greyhound who will end the game if the Poodle gets too rough - he just gets up and walks away.

Re the crate overnight - the puppy was sleeping through (7 hours) by the time she was 10 weeks old. They get used to just sleeping and I think the metabolism slows down overnight too so they physically do not make as much urine - no water in the crate either. To start with you will need to get up to let the puppy out but it isn't forever and the benefits of having a crate trained dog far out weigh the hassle of geting out of bed for a couple of weeks. Good Luck :(

Trish :)

Hi guys,

I really appreciate every one's comment.

At the moment, we put Maxo and Friday in the same area (downstairs- separated from living area by a buffet table and baby door), they always sleep in the same bed though we bought a new bed for Maxo. I haven't tried putting Maxo in the crate for th whole night, at the moment, he only has nap in there for 2hrs most without making any mass.

Should we let them sleep together? Or better separate them?

I am trying to play with them as much as I until they are tired, so they fall to sleep straight away. But the little one wakes up in the middle of the night, I think he must be hungry, sometime I will give him something to eat (one or two treat). It also makes up Firday, so she gets the treat as well. Is it right, should I feed them in the middle of the night? I am just a little bit worried about Friday's wieght, she's close to 10kg, which for minischnauzer, she should weight below 8 kg.

Thanks again, I will post more photos this afternoon.