9 Week Old Devil Pup (pictured)

Luke W

Hi all

New member, new dog, first dog for many years. Cocker spaniel - 9 weeks old - 'Barkly' - I've had him for 7 days.

I've been reading lots of books (Dunbar, Bailey, Donaldson) and I'm trying to do the best by my pup.

I wondering if his behaviour is normal and how best to handle him...

Whenever he's out of his crate he tends to get a bit frantic and loves to bite (feet, hands, face, hair, etc). It seems nothing I do disuades him. He barks at me if I tell him "off". It's very difficult to keep him off my feet. The behaviour has just developed over the last couple of days.

I've read the advice is to simply 'walk away and stop playing' - that's a bit hard if he simply follows me and continues to bit my feet, pull on my pants, shoes, shoelaces etc.

Apart from the frantic biting issue he 's seems to be going well.

Toilets pretty much on command, settles easily in his pen (long term confinement) or his carrier (short term confinement). He likes his chewtoys (tennis ball/rope is his favorite, followed by his hide chew...Kongs he's not too keen on, even when stuffed with food).

He sits, downs and stands (mostly when lured but sometimes without). He's walking on a lead reasonably well. He still pulls a little bit, but is starting to repond to 'heel' and me stopping.

At the moment I try the loud yelp and try to discontinue the play session. I'm hesitant to put him back in his pen/carrier because I don't want him to see his pen/carrier as a punishment zone.

_MG_3197.jpg

So...is the biting behaviour normal and what's the best way to combat it? How long will it last?

Thanks for any advice.

Luke.

My suggestion is to indicate that he's donw the wrong thing in biting you (yelp, stop etc) and then give him something that he can chew on...eg soft toy of his etc.

What a cutie :(

Try to encourage him to play with his own toys as you are doing, when he tries to bite a firm aaahhhh and give him a toy.

Biting usually reduces/stops when they get their 2nd teeth ( about 6 months old)

Good luck :o

There's nothing you can do coz he's just too cute! Imagine trying to discipline a face like that! :lol:

Have you tried a spray bottle? That's the only thing that would stop my dog from biting me when she was a pup. A quick squirt in the face when ever your pup bites - they hate it! And soon enough even picking up the spray bottle will make them stop.

Thanks all, I've tried most suggestions, it seems nothing is quite as exciting as my feet, not even his chewtoys.

The spray bottle sounds like it might work...It won't make him think I'm a nasty man will it ?

Biting stops at 6 months hey...oh well, only 4 months to go (arghhh!!!)

Biafra...thanks - he's as cute as a button. The shot was taken on my dining room table with a couple of flashes and the assistance of my wife. I had to be quick because he madly tried to tear the white fleece background to pieces!! :-) He really likes fabric!

Edited by Luke W

HI luke!!welcome to the wonderfull world of cockers & dol ;i have already replyed to your post on c/f but see u here now!! :laugh: your beautiful barkley is just being a normal cocker!!! he needs to know asap that u r the boss!!not him ! they love to rule the roost & with those eyes it is very hard to disapline!!but you must !!or look out ;whenever he bites your feet/pants; stamp your feet ;shout NO!then ignore him; when he settles; praise him for being a good boy ;you appear to be doing well re all other training ;He will grow out of the bitey sessions if you persivere!!wishing you all the best ;any other advise i can offer please feel free to pm me.

We had similar problems with our little Cavalier, playing always included biting but not hard, of course but you could definitely feel the teeth. She's just over five months now and we've noticed that the biting has almost stopped.

During the time she was biting, we did yelp and walk away - everything everybody has already said. It didn't really stop her doing it, maybe a little but next playtime, she was back to biting. I think the yelping teaches her not to bite too hard or us humans are just too fragile and she has to learn that she can't bite as hard.

Hi Luke, stunning photo of the very handsome Barkly. :laugh:

I can remember wondering when on earth the toe biting was going to stop. It did seem to go on for quite a while - maybe 10 weeks? At the time, though, it seemed forever. It is however, a time that you can use well. Reinforcing that biting is not acceptable is a great lesson for Barkley to take through his life. We were advised to make a loud yelp (whether the bite really hurt or not so that he understands that no teeth on skin is acceptable) and stand up, turn away, arms folded and completely ignore until he's calm. Gradually, he got the message.

Someone told me once that they used vinegar. I don't exactly know how they did this but it was something about dipping their fingers in the vinegar so the pup didn't like the taste when it bit them. Anyway, perhaps you might like to try putting vinegar on your toes, lol. Feel free to ignore this advise :love: but in case you're desperate I just thought I'd throw it out there, :laugh: .

Good luck.

We had this issue with our puppy, but only for a very short time. The yelping and stopping play is definitly what I would recommend. The thins is, we're very quick to teach a puppy what NOT to chew, but often forget to teach them what they CAN chew. We investd in LOTS of toys and chews for our puppy. Whenever she used her teeth on us, no matter what circumstance or even if it didn't really hurt, we would let out a big exaggerated "OUCH!!" and straight put something in her mouth to chew instead. We would praise her alot and encourage her to use it. This teaches them that not only is skin out of bounds, but that there are things that they get praise for if they chew.

Hope that helps :love: it does get better. She i now 5 months and VERY rarely uses her teeth, and even then, it doesn't hurt at all. But we still use the same routine!

My Josie had and still does have a foot fetish like Barkly.I tried everything but the suggestions made are fine.I found I had to walk around with long pants and shoes on for a week and totally ignore the biting etc that she did.Josie now doesn't do it to me but loves doing it to my husband and daughter because she gets a reaction out of them.Like them screaming or "JOOOOOSSSIEEEE".I found ignoring it seemed to work the best.Good luck but I'm in agreement I wouldn't be able to tell that face off at all,great photo!

Thanks heaps for all the advice guys - it's paying dividends! I think he's actually getting better!

I've used a combination of every technique...removing him from my feet and sticking something else in his mouth, turning around and ignoring him, loud 'ah ahs', holding him away from my feet by his lead. When he got really revved up - barking and growling - a very loud "aha ah' right in his face and a restraining hand until he settled, then off to timeout.

His pants and shoe biting has diminished significantly. He now gets the message that 'ah ahh' mean NO! I think he's also beginning to understand that I'm the boss and what I say goes.

Thanks for the comments on the photo too - my best so far I think.

More here by the way: http://www.lukewilby.com/Barkly/

Your photos are stunning!

As for the biting advice, when Keeda was in her biting stage nothing worked as well as a spray bottle - same with her barking at night stage. Good luck!

Love the photos! I grew up with cockers - beautiful natured dogs. Loved them to bits. As for biting my pup is 4 1/2 mths, still very excitable, still tends to nip but is definitely better than she was. Has got a bit worse with teething at the moment but distractions are the best thing and frozen chicken ice blocks and bones!

Love the photos! I grew up with cockers - beautiful natured dogs. Loved them to bits. As for biting my pup is 4 1/2 mths, still very excitable, still tends to nip but is definitely better than she was. Has got a bit worse with teething at the moment but distractions are the best thing and frozen chicken ice blocks and bones!

Thanks Jigsaw and others fo rthe kind words about the photos - he's quite a photogenic model!

For what it's worth, his pants/shoe/leg/feet biting is nearly cured! He hardly does it at all now and usually after a quick 'ah ah' and he stops. His bite inhibition is getting much better too! He has a much softer mouth when I let him mouth my hand.

Glad things are working better for your Barkly boy.....extreeeeeeeemely photogenic I must say!!!!

So.....what camera, lenses etc are you using??? Not suggesting it's the camera that's so talented though!!!!! :)

Glad things are working better for your Barkly boy.....extreeeeeeeemely photogenic I must say!!!!

So.....what camera, lenses etc are you using??? Not suggesting it's the camera that's so talented though!!!!! :)

Thanks!!

Camera was a Canon 20D.

The indoor shots are shot with an Canon 24-70 F/2.8 L.

The outdoor shots are with a Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L IS

Flashes are a 580EX and a 550EX plus ST-E2 transmitter.

I'm glad you said it's not the camera that's talented :-)