Smallest In Litter?

chugo101

Hi, we selected our Labrador Puppy yesterday and she comes home in 10 days when she'll be 8 weeks old. My question is that she is the smallest puppy in a litter of 11 (well 12 but 1 was stillborn) so should I be worried? When we saw her at 3 weeks she seemed lots smaller than her litter mates but now she's 6+weeks she seems to have caught up a bit. She had the nicest temperement out of the females and the breeders really encouraged us to have her saying that her personality best suited our young family. I guess I'm just a bit concerned that being the smallest of the litter she may have future health problems.

Can anyone offer any words of advice/assurance regarding this.

Thanks

Oh, and all of the pups were vet checked last week and are all fine.

I also phoned my local vets to ask them and the receptionist said it should be fine too.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As long as she has been vet checked fine and is catching up to the others I wouldn't be at all worried. Sometimes one pup is a bit smaller.

Thanks for the quick reply, its nice to get some reassurance! :rainbowbridge:

Penny was the smallest in her litter, but she was spunky and stood up for her little self. She grew up healthy and with the same speed as any other pup would have, although she's still a small corgi.

She's 12 years old, now, and still happy and healthy, although she had back trouble a few years ago. I highly doubt that had anything to do with her size, though.

Penny was the smallest in her litter, but she was spunky and stood up for her little self. She grew up healthy and with the same speed as any other pup would have, although she's still a small corgi.

She's 12 years old, now, and still happy and healthy, although she had back trouble a few years ago. I highly doubt that had anything to do with her size, though.

Thanks for that, yes our little one seems to be quite spunky too, and she loves the kids, she holds her own well and doesn't let her littermates boss her around which is good.

I know of a couple of instances (mainly in giant breeds but I'm sure it happens with others too) when the smallest puppy in the litter actually grew to be the largest mature dog! As others have said, as long as she is otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry too much :rainbowbridge:

Mac was born at 9oz, and his smallest sister was 4oz... They were a comparable size at 9months (haven't seen her since), with Mac only a little bit bigger which was more to him being a dog and she a bitch. :)

Thanks for all the replies, its great news, all positive so far which is great! I can now start to relax and look forward to bringing her home.

I'll be sure to post some piccy's when she arrives, I only have this one for now which we took yesterday - She's munching on a chicken wing!

post-23581-1209813805_thumb.jpg

Hi, we selected our Labrador Puppy yesterday and she comes home in 10 days when she'll be 8 weeks old. My question is that she is the smallest puppy in a litter of 11 (well 12 but 1 was stillborn) so should I be worried? When we saw her at 3 weeks she seemed lots smaller than her litter mates but now she's 6+weeks she seems to have caught up a bit. She had the nicest temperement out of the females and the breeders really encouraged us to have her saying that her personality best suited our young family. I guess I'm just a bit concerned that being the smallest of the litter she may have future health problems.

Can anyone offer any words of advice/assurance regarding this.

Thanks

Oh, and all of the pups were vet checked last week and are all fine.

I also phoned my local vets to ask them and the receptionist said it should be fine too.

In my experience, the runt has always been the smartest / nicest temperament.

Nala was the runt of a large litter and am happy to report that she is a happy and very healthy at 7.5 months with no problems at all. She was the only one in the litter that came straight up to me when I went to see the litter a great temperament and really friendly.

good luck with your new fur baby and try not to worry and enjoy your puppy.

I heard an interesting fact the other night and although it's not 100% related to this topic there is still a message there, when there are cojoined human twins there is usually one significantly bigger than the other, the small one is more active and is more of a fighter for the nutrients etc that they need to survive, when they seperate the twins, if one doesn't make it, it is generally the larger of the 2 because the smaller 'runt' is more hardy and used to fighting for life!

Just thought that was interesting and can be applied to dogs as well (in a round about way)

:hug: hope i didn't confuse/bore you all

I heard an interesting fact the other night and although it's not 100% related to this topic there is still a message there, when there are cojoined human twins there is usually one significantly bigger than the other, the small one is more active and is more of a fighter for the nutrients etc that they need to survive, when they seperate the twins, if one doesn't make it, it is generally the larger of the 2 because the smaller 'runt' is more hardy and used to fighting for life!

Just thought that was interesting and can be applied to dogs as well (in a round about way)

:hug: hope i didn't confuse/bore you all

Thanks for all these replies I'm reassured that my Daphne will be just fine. We pick her up on Wednesday so are just counting the days now. I was spending a great deal of time worrying she may be weaker than the other pups but she certainly didn't look weaker - just smaller. I think when you are spending $1000 on a pup you want her to be perfect, it seems odd paying top price for what people class as the 'runt' of the litter. She won't be the runt in my eyes, but my new baby!!

Just need to start the endless task of buying everything we need now. What size collar do you think I'll need to get?

whilst I dislike the word RUNT; I have to agree with all the other posts; I always fall for the littlest one & 99.9%of the time they r ;as all the others have said the nicest;in courage & temprement; all good things come in small packages; :hug: good luck & enjoy your little treasure.

Timmy was 72 grams born compared with the 150 gram brothers, and was only 750grams at 7 weeks to their 1.4kg. He is growing, but is still only 2.6kg and it looks as though he will be slightly under the breed standard of 3-4.5kg.

He is very healthy and robust and he did, as the old saying goes, really have the most spunk. He climbed up on to my hubby lap, dived off and went back for more! So he chose us I guess!

All this positiveness is great! I'm feeling so excited about bringing her home! :hug:

As long as she is health checked and deemed to be fit and well, there should be no worries at all. In our case though having a dog the size of a coke can in the house proved for some interesting changes to our way of walking, sitting, opening doors, manouvering chairs etc. The day I found him crying behind the couch was the most heart thumping of my life! Squeak, squeak, squeak I hear, I had turned my back for 30 seconds!!!

All this positiveness is great! I'm feeling so excited about bringing her home! :)

As long as she is health checked and deemed to be fit and well, there should be no worries at all. In our case though having a dog the size of a coke can in the house proved for some interesting changes to our way of walking, sitting, opening doors, manouvering chairs etc. The day I found him crying behind the couch was the most heart thumping of my life! Squeak, squeak, squeak I hear, I had turned my back for 30 seconds!!!

Our labrador certainly won't be the size of a coke can, but cute all the same! You must have felt really nervous handling such a tiny being! I would be petrified of hurting it or worse still, sitting on him by accident! :hug: