Ud Obedience - The First 2 Exercises

Very nice!

I just have a question on the seek back. What do they have to do? You drop an article and they find it? Do they have to go in a particular pattern?

The idea is to lay a track from one end of the ring to the other - by following the judges commands and either the judge or the steward will drop a scent article on the track. At the end of the track you about turn and send the dog to find it. You are not allowed to point to the article when you send the dog. The dog can find the article using either scent or sight and must pick the article up and return to you.

The seekback at the classic caused a lot of problems with dogs not being able to find the article.

He looks fantastic Ptolomy. Was it a Quali round?!

So this is what I have to get Leo to do now :D :)

Yes it was a qually round - it was his final leg of his OC - he won with 192 - which was a bit generous - but happy to take it and run. :laugh:

Scoota is now 4. I bred him and he was introduced to the clicker at 7 weeks of age. We started the basics of UD training early - he was taught scent using the dog scout method at 7 months of age - no formality - it was just a case of go out and find the one that smells like me, not worrying about turns and presents until he was much older. The same with seekback, during winter when it was too dark and wet to train before work, I would play hide the seekback in the house and each of the dogs would be given a couple of turns to find it. The box was also taught early as a game.

His first novice trial was the Western Classic when he was 16 months of age. Tollers are very slow to mature and he really wasn't ready to trial, but he did well and passed. It has not been easy sailing though as he has had a few issues along the way, which we have had to work through one by one. Hs last two OC passes took forever as he started spitting scent articles out at me and the more anxious I became the more articles landed at my feet. How did I cure it.....we play in the ring between exercises, I push him away and he comes bouncing back, I rub his backside and rough him up and he comes back for more (you can probably see this on the video clip), we play touch games and really we have turned it into a fun place to be. :shrug: