Introducing Collar And A Lead

jr_inoz

Puppy has been home a couple of days - seems to be going well - cried three times first night in her pen - not at all the second night.

When we have had to travel anywhere i have used her crate - seems to work well.

Wanting to try her collar and lead - my goodness what a fuss!!!!

I can get her lead on her now - no problem - but lots of yelping and pulling when we try a little walk (across the lounge room i mean)

Any suggestions?

What small steps should i be taking?

She's only 8 weeks old - is this too soon?

jr

You could try putting the collar and lead on her and letting her walk around a bit with it dragging behind... then when she's fine with that, try gently taking the lead and coaxing her along with her favourite toy or a food treat. Every time she comes a few steps with you holding the lead, give her the treat, praise, or let her play a little with her toy... she'll get the hang of it soon enough... *grin*

T.

That's what I did too.

I put the collar on when my pup was tired and sleepy (in the car on the way home from the breeder's actually). By the time he woke up, I think he forgot that dogs don't naturally have collars around their necks :love:

The next day (he was eight weeks old), I attached a very light lead and had intense playtime, interspersed with treats for coming when called, dragging the lead behind. My pup got used to the lead almost immediately. I was careful to not have any tension on the lead at the start.

At 10 weeks, he drags a lead, attached to a long piece of twine behind him whenever he's outside. I don't have a fenced in yard and he's not fully vaccinated yet so I can't take him to parks. The long lead gives me a bit of assurance he's not going to run out of the yard. I'm always ready to stand on the long lead if I need too. He's now learning to walk at heel.

I'm a novice, but for me, they key was making lead time a happy time and distracted him with games and treats.

Edited by Luke W

firstly just have the light collar on then attatch the lead & let pup get used to dragging it with her ;then attatch yourself to the other end & walk slowly with a slack lead till pup has ajusted ;do not leave the lead or collar on when pup is not supervised;

Yep...remember you are the boss, she is the (baby) dog.

Put the collar on..when she's asleep.Don't make a 'thing' out of it.

If she scratches and rubsm etc don't pay any attention.

If she accepts it ...and it may take a couple of hours.... THEN she gets a treat or whatever. :(

After a day or so, once agin, while she's asleep..clip the lead on.

When she wakes up..it's LIFE AS NORMAL..toilet, play, food..with NO ATTENTION drawn to the fact she is dragging a lead :)

After a day or two of this... then ,as said, pick up the lead, call her, rewards her, etc.

One thing!!

You may want to use a very light chain lead for the first few days, so she doesn't chew it!! That way she will not get into the chewing habit!!!

Much easier not to START chewing leads...than trying to stop!!

edit to add

do not leave the lead or collar on when pup is not supervised
; Edited by persephone

Everybody gave me the same advice when our puppy was young. She hated her collar and would sulk. I tried everything. I tried treats. I would put her collar on and then attach the lead and let her walk around dragging it. She gave us filthy looks and would sit and not move until we took it off her.

We were taking her to puppy school and I wondered how she would go with that because we had to have her on collar and lead (not during the actual training but at other times). I was really worried, thinking she would carry on and sulk.

Once we got to puppy school, she was fine. It was like she'd been wearing this collar and lead forever and from that day on, she was fine. She was happy to walk and now she loves it.

It's all new so I guess puppies have to get used to it. We only just bought a car harness for ours and she lets out little cries from the back seat but eventually she'll realise she has to wear it because we're going somewhere fun.

Good luck.

our pups start lead training at 6 weeks but we never do it inside.We practise on the front lawn.

We use collars firts & simply allow pup to take us for the walk.We will sit there for 10 mins.walk backwards.throw & toy & let pup chase.

Dont panic but the tainty can be all show so dont be fooled

A lightweight collar was put on as soon as the pup arrived home and the tanties, if any, ignored. Collar remained on.

Pups sleep in a crate, when taken out of the crate the lead is attached to the light weight collar while the pup is being picked up. Pup get to toilet outside on lead. Don't walk the pup to the door unless you want a puddle before you get outside :rofl:

The Lead is used EVERY time pup goes outside.

Pup gets toilet and lead trained at the same time. Just a normal part of their life.

PS if you don't want to leave a collar on, attach the lead to a lightweight click collar and put the collar on every time pup gets taken outside..

Have fun.

Edited by Ashka