What Toys Does A Puppy Need?

puppiluv

Everlasting treat balls are a great chew toy for puppies, if left with adults they can finish them off very quickly though. Depends on the dog though, Little Reuben loves balls on ropes and rope toys best, as well as a puppy toy that has a soft squeeky middle and a triangle of rope on the outside.

Bakari's favorites ever since he was a little puppy is his Kong (more to play fetch with than anything else) and any kind of rope toy.

OH tied a rope to one of the patio posts and Bakari plays tug with that when we aren't home :)

We got him a large teething kong and he's 10 months old and hasn't killed it yet!

I'm astounded by the range of dog toys in the shops! What and how many does a puppy really need? Which are your (or your puppy's) personal favourites? Which ones should be avoided?

My pups newest, favorite toy is a Wubba. An orange water Wubba to be precise.

Wubbaworld

Cherish (10 wks) loves toys on ropes. Bree (nearly 2) still adores her fluffy monkey she had when she was a baby. She used to cuddle up to it to sleep. She now flings it around and it no longer has a nose. Ingrid (6 yrs) 'kills' anything with a squeak! Lacey (3 yrs) rarely plays with toys. My house has toys of all sorts all over the place. Fluffies that I've bought at the op shop, rope toys, nylabones.... I guess it would depend on the breed as to how tough the toys need to be. I have given mine old socks tied with a knot and they have loved playing with them but a visiting dog swallowed a sports sock whole :)

Quick question; on the KONG Puppy Ziggies Healthy Puppy Treat packet, it states that its for puppies over 3 months of age? What do I give my puppy in the KONG before this age? I collect my Labrador Puppy on Wednesday and she'll be 8 weeks, just wanted her to have something to occupy her in the car as its a 2 hour journey back from the breeders? She's been reared on BARF and easily handles a chicken wing, however I don't really want her eating a chicken wing in the car!! Do you think she'll be ok with one of these Ziggies in her Puppy KONG?

Chugo - try coating the inside top end of the kong with peanut butter or vegimite to begin with and she can lick the inside of it. You can also put her breakfast in it, chicken or luncheon meat. If she is used to soft foods then stick to that but as a lab you can probably give her a variety. Also have a look at the kong website for recipes (www.kongcompany.com).

My adult dog loves those puppy ziggies - its the only thing he will fight my female for. It's only wheat, alfafa and chicken liver (although it is very high in protein) so I dont know why he loves it so much, but it makes his poo less smelly and less farty :(

My pup isn't that keen on peanut butter so I use cream cheese inside the kong. Only about a teaspoon - I put dry kibble inside and block it up with the cream cheese. Keeps her quiet for a little while! What about a pig's ear in the car? I used them to get mine used to being in the car - it distracted her from whining and barking!

Paxy's favourite toy's are anything she can put in her mouth, socks, bras :(, any clothes, balls, fluffy toys, squeaky toys, ropes, ropes with balls, treat balls (yes she picks them up and carries them), the cat's toys. She often has two in her mouth at a time!

My pup's most favourite toy is an empty soft drink bottle (600mL) filled with rocks! He LOVES it!!!!!!

His other favourite toys are his kong wubba snugga, his holy roller and this hippo stuffed toy that has a wah-wah stick-thing (??!!) inside it that makes noises when you shake it and a squeaker in its head.

Come to think of it... He loves ALL his toys!!!!!!

My girl still loves her tyre and rope - only thing that has latest since she was a pup. Don't buy cheap dog toys, they won't last and the plastic in some can be very toxic :hug: My theory whenever buying anything is; you get what you pay for :laugh:

ben

Hi!

Aussie Dog toy would have to be my pup's favorite!! I have to have it high above her head when I go to hang it up on the carport as she starts playing with it before it gets hung up - keeps her very entertained (tug of war type toy on a bungee .. we don't play this game at all with her .. she plays it on her own when we are out).

Fluffy puppy with squeaker and a mosquito (minus one antanae that she removed whilst teething .. need to have 100% supervision now with these toys so she is limited to having them at night or when we are with her inside to monitor .. don't want a trip to the vet for the removal of a mosquito or puppy :) .. or her cow for that matter .. we rotate them)

A fluro green/yellow 'ball' bone thingo that we play fetch with .. light and easy for her to pick up and return and it bounces even on grass.

A milk bottle (take off the cap and the ring around the top for saftely ... this was safe for a few weeks but now she has her adult teeth I don't trust her with it so she only has that for a limited time. The milk bottle makes a great sound when thrown around and it is easy for her to pick up and 'fling' with the handle.

Rope toy - under supervision again as I worried about her little teeth getting caught in the rope.

A rubber pig that squeeked ... she hasn't had this since she got new teeth as they would surely pierce it.

A bungee rope thingo .. bit hard to explain .. she loves to play tug of war with this to .. alternating with the Aussie dog toy.

Kong with a hide chew (size of a pencil) wedged down the middle of the chew and smeared in creamed cheese.....she usually can't get the chew out but the Kong is easy for her to hold and then she just chews. Half a cold carrot is good too.

Her new 'soft' toy is a 'Bamboo' man ... bright red .. see the photo .. extra tough for those lovely new adult teeth.

Also a picture of Noodle at about 8 weeks with the 'cow' and her chew 'rope' .. this is really good as there are different textures (Petstages brand I think .. we have a few of these toys).

Yes, she has heaps of toys ... rotated on a daily basis .... spoilt girl! ;)

post-16051-1210592057_thumb.jpg

post-16051-1210592561_thumb.jpg

Hi Mason our akita went crazy when we bought a Wubba but he loved it that much it is now R.I.P

My sister bought him a Pet stages triangle toy which he liked for a while not as much as the Wubba though.

Does anyone know where to buy the Wubbas on line in Australia ?

Mason and Delta would love another one, Bella does not like toys as much as the others.

Thanks Malisa

Does anyone know where to buy the Wubbas on line in Australia ?

Mason and Delta would love another one, Bella does not like toys as much as the others.

Thanks Malisa

http://www.ozpetshop.com.au/advanced_searc...amp;x=0&y=0

http://www.petsonthepark.com.au/webcontent-2.htm?wubba

http://vetnpetdirect.com.au/_search.php?page=1&q=wubba

I think part of the alure for my pup is my constant chanting...'wubba, wubba, get your wubba, wubba, wubba" :laugh:

Edited by Luke W