Raw Chicken Wings?

Is it ok to feed raw chicken wings to my Lab x Poodle?

I can't remember if someone told me it was ok or not!

Thanks

They are the basis of many of my dog's meals Blossom. You could try chicken frames for a larger dog.

Is it ok to feed raw chicken wings to my Lab x Poodle?

I can't remember if someone told me it was ok or not!

Thanks

They are the basis of many of my dog's meals Blossom. You could try chicken frames for a larger dog.

Thanks poodlefan and isiss :D

He normally gets a chicken frame with his dinner, but the shop ran out of them when I went to get more.

So I got chicken wings instead, and I'm hoping they will be ok. He is such a garbage guts, I guess I was just worried about him having something so small that he isn't as used to!

Edited by Blossom

Thanks :D They are frozen! I will try feeding them frozen and hold on to one end to make sure he chews.

He is used to chicken frames so I hope it will be ok.

Will take it off him if he starts being a guts!

Edited by Blossom

Hey TSD, good to see you too :D He is doing great, he has really grown up in the last few months! Has a really bad haircut atm though lol

I tried to 'poodle' him and it kind of didn't work out :D

Edited by Blossom

sorry to hijack the thread (its chicken related :) so probably no point in starting a new thread)

Is there any part of the chicken they should not eat? I know the drumstick has that long needle type bone - I'm guessing this is a no no?

Also, wings, frames necks etc....raw only?

my mum has always fed our dogs and has always refused to give any bones to them. I'm getting a puppy in about 6 weeks or so, so need to find out about all this!

Yep it sure is. You can also try the frames as PF said, or necks aswell. Just be careful with the necks as some dogs tend to scoff them and don't chew them at all.

Just saw this thread and thought I would tell you what happened tonight (relevant) for whatit is worth .. posted on the 'Wet Noodle" thread under Puppy problems......

Well the adventures of Noodle nearly came to a grinding halt tonight ... I turned around and I think she swallowed a WHOLE chicken neck!!! She wimpered for a couple of seconds so I rubbed her back and nexk and she stopped. Usually she chews them up! What is with the swallowing!!! She wont be getting those to eat on her own ever again!!

Just been on the phone to the vet clinic and it will be a wait and see .. the advice is that the neck should be broken down But I am concerned about obstructions occuring....worry wort that I am!

Noodle seems fine at the moment .. just lying her on the floor next to me...........................LIFE! It ain't boring around this joint with the Noo around that's for sure!! I reckon I could have another 3 threads going on some of the stuff she does at the moment !!

Silly silly girl ... sitting in the bloomin' rain, swallowing whole chicken necks .. what is she thinking ????? or more to the point ... is anything going on underneath all of that hair of hers

So, I had been freezing the necks but this one had defrosted as Noodle is a bit off her food at the moment and so I gave her the neck in the kitchen .. I was on the phone to a work colleague about 2 feet away and this happened in a blink of an eye.

Just a word of warning and yes I feed chicken wings too.

A friends Chessie got a chicken wing lodged and required surgery :) $1500 later........ Vet suggested in future cutting the chicken wings into thirds at the corners.

Maxi took a while to master them, they can be a bit difficult to bite right through the flesh and skin. He managed to swallow but vomits it up again whole then has another go.

Definitely supervise with all bones until you are sure they have mastered them.

sorry to hijack the thread (its chicken related :) so probably no point in starting a new thread)

Is there any part of the chicken they should not eat? I know the drumstick has that long needle type bone - I'm guessing this is a no no?

Also, wings, frames necks etc....raw only?

my mum has always fed our dogs and has always refused to give any bones to them. I'm getting a puppy in about 6 weeks or so, so need to find out about all this!

I take the wishbones out of the frames I give to my dogs :rofl:

sitting in the bloomin' rain, swallowing whole chicken necks .. what is she thinking ?????

:)She is not thinking...she is simply acting as a DOG. Dogs do sit in the rain... especially ones with thick coats :rofl: dogs do gulp their food...

with chicken necks..it is unfortunate that their dimensions match that of a dog's oesophagus :):rofl:

The vet is probably correct... and it will be broken down safely.....chicken bones are from 'baby' chooks..only around a couple of months old..so aren't hard and dense...

Guest Tess32

Plenty of dogs crunch a chicken wing a couple of times and then swallow. They really aren't meant to chew.

If the wings are too small for them, give them maryland instead.

NoodleNut, sorry to hear that. I hope she is ok!!!

So far so good Blossom!

I had a chicken neck tonight and cut it into three bits and mixed it in with her dinner and she is wolfinf down her meal ... about flammin' time as I have been really worried about her not eating much the past few days ... been to the vet and on teh phone to them again last night after the chicken neck fiasco ... :D I watched her like a hawk tonight and she chewed!! Yay!! I mixed rice with her Eagle pack tonight and the few bits of chickn neck and she is much happier eating .. finally!! Given me grief!!

Plenty of dogs crunch a chicken wing a couple of times and then swallow. They really aren't meant to chew.

If the wings are too small for them, give them maryland instead.

That is pretty much what my dogs do with them. They don't bite bits off. The whole wing goes in their mouth, there are about 2 or 3 big crunches and then they swallow.