Gunky Eyes?

Am a bit concerned about Will's eyes this morning. Will is a almost 2yr old GR. He usually has "sleep" in his eyes first thing in the morning, just small black bits and a little soft. However this morning there is quite a bit more of it and it's a little green - in both eyes. Otherwise he's seems to be in good health. Would rather try some home remedies first before heading off the the vet. Have just cleaned his eyes very gently with warm water. I do have some saline solution and was going t use this but was worried about it stinging if it got in his eyes? Any suggestions?

If it appears to be just basic conjunctivitis, you can try using Brolene ointment (human eye ointment from the chemist) - it's much cheaper than anything you'll get from the vet, and it works great! My vet has checked the ingredients and says that it is fine for dogs eyes. Not only that, but it works a heck of a lot faster than anything I've ever gotten from the vet... *grin*

T.

cold black tea.... works well for minor eye probs :laugh:

just wipe each eye with a(separate) soaked tissue/swab so that some tea does actually drip into the eye . Do this a few times a day, and see how it goes :eek:

brolene can be very useful, as well!

I make a teabag in a cup wait for it to cool then wash the eye with the tea then wipe the teabag across the eyes a couple of times a day. Works like a treat and is better than ointment.

The cold tea definitely works a treat.....my in-laws american bulldog had yellow thick muck coming from her eyes for weeks and went through tubes of goo from the vet which only helped momentarily and then it would be back the next day....used the cold tea and it was gone in 24 hrs......colloidal silver works really well also......you can check another thread about that one .....make sure you've got 3 hours to read it though as there are some varying opinions on it.....

Colloidal Silver has been wonderful for my horse's eyes.

They were treated at first (when I got her) with a traditional antibiotic - but then I moved on to using the CS - Thanks Morgan :( - and every time they look at all like they are starting to discharge, I just give them a quick bathe with it and it's gone in one go. Just got keep an eye on her (so to speak) and catch it before it gets a hold.

Try a warm (blood temp) saline solution, salt water does wonders for a mild eye infection. Just soak the salt water solution into a cotton ball or cloth, and gently wipe over the eye.