Teaching Hand Touch When Stay Signal Is The Same

Yes I have problems. I taught hand touches using both hands and I give my stand signal with my left hand above the dogs head - so the problem I have is that the dog tends to want to jump up and touch in the process of standing.

Actually have to say it is only affecting one out of 5 so I guess he is either the smart one or the dumb one of the group - still trying to work that one out. :laugh:

any item will do you could use a stick or a toy at 1 semiar i went to a lady used a childs fairy wond(sp?) stick

once the dog gets that its easy to change what you want the dog to touch

Edited by cramet

Are hand touches worth teaching - they sure are - you can take them into the ring with you and use between exercises.

What can you use instead of a hand signal for stays - I tend to use a pointed finger

Edited by Ptolomy

My dogs seem to know the difference. The hand goes towards the dog for stay; the dog goes towards the hand for a touch. So for my dogs they are 2 different signals (one is a moving palm, one is stationary).

I use a pistol-like signal for touch (index/middle fingers together, rest of hand in a fist) and for stay I have an open palm moving towards his nose.

I used to use an open hand for touch, so he will still do touch for that if I have my hand still. If my hand is moving he knows it's for stay (same as DeltaCharlie).

The means of presentation is different - the target hand should be presented with a 'look at this!' attitude, compared to a (at least this is what I try for) calming, smooth gesture for the stay. But I do personally use clenched fist (I'm considering phasing it out of my training) and the double finger point for hand target.

Edited by WalandLibby

I started teaching the hand touch by teaching the "curled pointing finger to the nose" touch :) (every time I walk past him and he was sitting down as I walked past him) and worked to the fist from there...very easy and no confusion with the open handed stay signal.

I was intereted in teaching a hand touch but was thinking that it would be the same kind of hand signal as i use for the stay command,any ideas what i could do?

Do dogs get confused

Change your hand signal, if you think confusion results. We are not sheep (are we???), who follow what obedience trainers routinely use as cues. Lift a leg, bend at a knee ( I am overstating of course)-but whatever........dogs read our bodies so well. Clear cues.