Sarcoptic Mange

I hate to admit it but one of my (six) dogs has been diagnosed with Sarcoptic Mange!!!! :)

We've never had fox mange here before despite living in the country and I still have no idea where she's managed to pick it up. She was barely showing any signs and in our ignorace, we had no idea what we were seeing - just some darkening of the skin around her eyes which was then followed by her rubbing her face on the wire of her pen. And I thought it was an allergy! :) Thankfully, only her closest kennel mate is showing some signs of scratching at his elbows and even he has improved vastly since being treated. All the others seem just fine, at least for now! :eek:

Needless to say, our girl has had one injection of Ivermectin (two more to follow) and all the others have been treated with Advocate and will be done again in a month's time.

In the meantime, I was just wondering what experience others have had (if any) with Sarcoptic Mange and how long it's likely to be before physical signs start to improve? Also, can anyone hazard a guess as to how she most likley caught the damn thing???? All our dogs are exercised regularly along a country road with access to the adjoining paddocks where they do, on occasion, like to have a roll in dead things :rofl: Can a very old, dry piece of fox skin pass on mange mites???? Someone suggested that Sarcoptic Mange can only be caught from a live fox.

Did you 'quarantine' your affected dog from the others and if so, for how long?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

w2s

Edited by woody2shoes

I have only personally dealt with Demodectic, but a friend had Sarcoptic some years ago and nothing they did helped the bitch and in the end she had to be PTS!

Anyway I would definitely quarantine or you risk it spreading. And I would keep them apart until its all healed and clear by skin scraping.

Yeah scabies are usually easy to treat compared to demodex. Advocate works, as does Interceptor and Sentinal and Revolution (and all these are a bit safer than ivermectin).

Edited by stormie

our dogs used to get sarcoptic mange often, when they chased foxes.

back then, we only had malathion rinses... which worked well. We never lost a dog, or had any with a 'bad case'...

Things are certainly simpler and quicker these days :)

Hope your guys get better soon!

Sarcoptic mange and human scabies are the same thing, so I doubt it can be only got from live foxes.

1 mite left anywhere a dog brushes up against is enough to start off an infection.

Check out human remedies for scabies too - might help.

Good luck.

Sorry I havent replied earlier.

my mum uses Ivermectin pouron (not injections) and coats the infected area (not whole body) with canola oil (must be a vegetable oil) which helps suffocates the eggs. She also doubles the dose. She has not lost a wombat ever in the 20 years from overdosing.

I have personally seen the improvements and I am talking about severe cases with thick crusts built up on their bodies bleeding and pussy and their eyes closing up. Improvements before 2 weeks.

Foxes usually get it from wombats (although foxes originally gave it to wombats). Do you have wombats in your area?

I can help on this topic. My adopted dog got sarcoptic mange last year from running in my fields where I know we have fox. I also got it on my abdomen because he sleeps in my bed but the dog scabies ARE different to human and they do NOT live long on humans, I did use a lotion on that area to eradicate them on me quickly. In the meantime my holistic vet gave him oral ivermectin weekly (ts not necessary to inject them) and in the meantime I also found out that topical use of Revolution (selamectin is I believe the other name for it) that is used here in the USA for fleas/ticks etc by some peoplel is great for eliminating the sm mites, lots of greyhound people prefer it to ivermectin or if you have a herding dog and ivermectin CANNOT be used in them. If he ever got it again thats what I would use. I also used bathed him in a neem shampoo with a neem rinse and put a lavender/neem mix on itchy areas. He is fine now, I did give him Milk Thistle herb for a month along with his raw diet to help his body recuperate from the meds. I did not want to use any chemical dips and they are unnecessary with either of the above treatments. Some people btw mentioned that they put the topical Revolution (it goes in one spot near the shoulder blades) on all their dogs to prevent it spreading, at that point I only had him to worry about. anneh

I hate to admit it but one of my (six) dogs has been diagnosed with Sarcoptic Mange!!!! :rofl:

We've never had fox mange here before despite living in the country and I still have no idea where she's managed to pick it up. She was barely showing any signs and in our ignorace, we had no idea what we were seeing - just some darkening of the skin around her eyes which was then followed by her rubbing her face on the wire of her pen. And I thought it was an allergy! :D Thankfully, only her closest kennel mate is showing some signs of scratching at his elbows and even he has improved vastly since being treated. All the others seem just fine, at least for now! :cool:

Needless to say, our girl has had one injection of Ivermectin (two more to follow) and all the others have been treated with Advocate and will be done again in a month's time.

In the meantime, I was just wondering what experience others have had (if any) with Sarcoptic Mange and how long it's likely to be before physical signs start to improve? Also, can anyone hazard a guess as to how she most likley caught the damn thing???? All our dogs are exercised regularly along a country road with access to the adjoining paddocks where they do, on occasion, like to have a roll in dead things :) Can a very old, dry piece of fox skin pass on mange mites???? Someone suggested that Sarcoptic Mange can only be caught from a live fox.

Did you 'quarantine' your affected dog from the others and if so, for how long?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

w2s

We used sump oil and sulphur powder on our farm dog years ago - worked a treat... mix well and rub it into the affected area...

sump oil cured lots of things.. but made for very durty oily dogs!! :D

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I am very happy to report that our older girl with the sm is vastly improved. We were lucky to catch it early and only the hair around her eyes was affected and that is clearing up nicely. We don't have wombats around here but we do have lots of foxes and it's not uncommon for my dogs to put one up out of the dead cumbungi in the sidecut up our road every now and again. I guess that's where she's caught it.

In the meantime, I am now fighting Kennel Cough caught thanks to my sister bringing a coughing pup to my place for a visit!!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks again to everyone.

w2s

Edited by woody2shoes

benedryl is good for kennel cough.

10ml twice a day for dogs 20-30 kg

5ml twice a day for dogs 5-10kg

Thanks for the tip! At this stage only two of our gang has KC - the younger of the two has it worst so think I'll pick some Benadryl up at lunchtime for her.

Cheers!

w2s

• 2 months later...

Sadly my 2 dogs have Sarcoptic Mange. Both have had Ivermectin injections once a week for the last fortnight

and are being washed in Pyohex when i can. If there is anyone who in dol world who could answer some questions re this matter it would be greatly appreciated.

Q1: When washing in Pyohex should the whole dog be washed in this every time or is washing the just the affected areas

okay?

Q2: Could the Sarcoptic Mange mites be still alive in the backyard? If so how do you kill the mites that have fallen off the dogs?

Q3: What is best to use on dog bedding to kill mites?

I am confused - I used Advocate Spot On Treatment when my girl had mange... worked beautifully; and although I wouldn't use it monthly - instead I think these things are like immunisations, and should be used only every three or four months - it would protect against the next hatch of mites, wouldn't it??

So, my question is: why wouldn't you use it for this???

Our dogs used to get it a lot when there were foxes around- a few malawash baths sorted it out- and it never spread.

I did learn- and anytime there was a fox kill, the dog/s were bathed immediately in malawash- not a problem :o

before malawash, as a kid I remember the dogs suffering from sarcoptic mange badly- then it was sump oil and sulphur... which worked, but not as well.. :thumbsup: