For The Schutzhund Enthusiasts - Some Bite Work

noice full mouth there.

about halfway through the vid there is a bit where the dog loses enthusiasm for the bite, looks a little confused but the decoy tried again a couple of times then the dog bites. I didnt have the sound on to hear the commands, but if my dog lost it she was walked out of there and we started again. Did you command a rebite for that section or bark/hold

p.s. you keep standing like that with the dog and you are going to have a REALLY sore back or get dragged foreward one day. Trust me the largest dog I have worked with is 60kg and standing like that would cause me extreme pain! Have a firm confident stance it will be easier for you and the dog.

Edited by Nekhbet

Nice! Looks like fun :) It is great they let you practice with their dog, very nice of them.

I was also going to comment on stance. Was drilled into me training with security dogs, though I am out of practice now. Obviously VERY important for me when handling as I am tiny :) They all said, doesn't matter your size, you can handle a GSD doing protection work - I said you try being 43 kgs then :( - they never let me use my size as an excuse.

Edited by Kavik

Is that Rex?

I wish! Rex is an old fart and his chocices in life are to either sleep on the sofa or in front of the heater ;-)

I will ask about my posture, but for now I dont have a sore back, and I usually get a sore back in a split second.

As to the dog loosing interest - she is also oldish and isnt being trained at all been retired for couple of years, she is a pet and we get her out so that I can practice on her and the helper can learn on her too. So it doesnt really matter for the dog, as the aim isnt to improve anything the dog does, the dog is a learning tool for us humans. But to answer your question I did recommand.

We all enjoy it and she loves me too, so its all good.

If its an experienced dog that baulks or a beginner - doesnt make a difference. If the decoy shows aggressive behaviour and you miss the mark to activate the dog properly its literally 180, take the dog from the situation and start over. Some dogs can actually lose the idea or you can end up marking chewing/soft bites in your new dog.

Proper stance should be standing straight, lean back on one leg and have your hands in near your tummy to stabilise yourself. You will find you wont have to move your feet much at alll, let the dog do the work. If you watch the dobe the lower you lean the more the dogs body position lowers as well, its taking cues from you.

As for the decoy, if this is schutzhund he should be careful, that dog got him on the hand well and truely! Also I have never had a decoy take a sleeve from or really close to a dog, its really not safe at all especially in excited newby dogs. You run the dog with the sleeve (reward) you aus the dog and the decoy can get the sleeve back when you are praising the dog. If this is civil/security then the dog should spit out the sleeve and refocus on the decoy.

I'll stop picking and be quiet now ... sorry I really love Sch/PP its great fun isnt it!!! You look like you guys are having a real blast too I'd love to try a dobermann on a sleeve one day. Malinois are little pocket rockets and mastiffs ... well mine worked out if he stood looking quiet the decoy would come in close enough for him not to have to exert a lot of effort in the launch sequence :rolleyes: laziest grab anyone ever saw - buggered if he would ever let go though :(

In the little I have done, you have one experienced, one newby team not all new. So if dog and handler are new to it, decoy is experienced. If decoy is new, dog and handler are experienced. That way at least someone knows what they are doing, you are not all learning :rolleyes: and you are less likely to stuff the dog up. An experienced dog/handler team can teach a new decoy heaps, decoy work is difficult and requires good knowledge of dogs and be able to read them well, and requires good acting too (for civil/security anyway).

yeah - I know, ideally Id like to work with someone that is experienced, but hey gotta take whats available, so to speak. Regardless, we are having a great time, bring it on more often I say!

Watched the clip, you really have to be careful with this training. How old is the dog? And at the end there, that's not good at all to let the dog run with sleeve and no one holding lead. Not good training at all!! And at the end the dog goes to him for a pat?? So confusing for the dog. If you want a serious dog you won't achieve it this way.

I have nothing against new trainers, but they need someone experienced to show them the way and that guy didn't look good. I personally wouldn't train my dogs there.

Kristina, this is for Schutzhund, not security or personal protection. So I assume they are showing that the dog is not vicious as it can be patted by the decoy at the end :laugh:

I thought it might be, but still. When doing that i would at least be with the dog. I know for trails they don't get touched but have to be relaxed when walking amongst people and during the hand shake. Ah well, at the end of the day the owner needs to be happy with the dog and hopefully the dog be happy in the process.

JMO

actually the dog is fine to have no one holding lead and running with the prey item ... IF this is an experienced dog and probably has a pretty good aus command I wouldnt worry too much. Schutzhund has an off lead component anyway so the dog should be capable of it.

And the dog should be able to be patted by the decoy for Schutzhund. the dog should be sleeve focussed not human focussed or this becomes civil agitation, but under more direct control from the handler. Civil dogs should drop the sleeve and refocus back on the decoy, even so when the handler turns off the dog it is able to be patted by the decoy. My Malinois is happy to get cuddles from decoys until we start working, even then - shut down command and she's back to happy happy la la :laugh:

i wasn't sure where to ask so i thought i'd try here first.

1- can we import bite sleeves?? ie customs problems

and 2 - can we get quick release pinch/prong collars in Aus??

if so how can we get a hold of them??

thanks DOLers

Jessca

ETA-Pics of collar

post-22220-1215856266_thumb.jpg

post-22220-1215856307_thumb.jpg

post-22220-1215856332_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jessca

sleeves you can get over the net no worries, I get them from www.leerburg.com or from www.fordogtrainers.com The only issue with customs is the materials (eg leather) that the dogs will pick up.

pinch collars contact K9 force in Sydney as you have to have an import permit. You cannot use them in Victoria or you will be prosecuted.

Edited by Nekhbet