Fish Oil

Mine currently get herbs of gold brand from the hfs.

$15.95 for 200 x 1g capsules (4 caps per day for my 40kg dog with a heart condition)

I can't find any actual dosage in mg on the website for the oil you've mentioned.. hard to work out how long a bottle will last when it's measured in 'pump strokes'.....

I currently use this one (Nature Vet Omega 3 http://www.thevetshed.com.au/product_info....oducts_id/1423) and give about 2.5 'pump strokes' a day. However before using that I used this (http://www.goldenglow.com.au/product.asp?pID=147&cID=39) Odourless Fish Oil. It's for people but I asked my vet and he said it would be fine. The dog actually did better on that one than the special dog one. I would cut open one capsule a day and put that in his food.

PugRescue can I ask what strength the fishoil caps you give your guys are ? As you may remember my Schipp has recently been diagnosed with suspected epilepsy & I'd like to give him Fish oil but am not sure of the dose (he'd be the same sort of size as yours).

I am currently giving Monte 'Nature's Own - Odourless Fidh Oil with Omega 3' and the are 1000mg. He has one tablet per day. I also give him a Vit B tablet (low dose only) as I am told that a low dose Vit B also helps with epilepsy.

I use "Hi Potency" Omega 3 fish oil 1000 capsules which are mercury tested. I get them from the Health Food shop for $20 - 400 capsules - 1000mg per capsule

I give my Goldie 3 capsules per day (whole, I don't cut them open) as he has awful hip dysplasia and is recovering from his second cruciate ligament op within 8 months.

I ran out for a few weeks and to be honest, I didn't notice a difference in him but I still give them regardless.

do any of you ever feed your dogs oily fish, eg pilchards/sardines?

Yep my lot love sardines and tuna. I drain any oil off and feed it to them about 3 times per week. With the fish oils is there any harm giving it to them in the capsule i.e not breaking it open? Two of mine think its a treat :laugh:

Edited by valby

• 2 weeks later...

I've found Natures Vet Paws and Claws fish oil to be reasonably priced I just poke the end of the capsule with a tooth pick and let my dogs lick the drips of the end. This fish oil is made especially for cats and dogs but if you ask a vet they will tell you that you can use human grade fish oil. I think the dose for the human stuff is one 1000mg cap per 10kg body weight (just the same as the Paws and Claws) I would go with the regular non odorless stuff though because your dog will probably like it more, and who knows what they use to make it odorless. I also use Natures Vet Joint Guard liver Treats it's the only form of glucosamine my dog likes the taste of.

http://www.naturevet.com.au/ProductMainPage.aspx

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/product.ph...=303&page=1

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/product.ph...=303&page=1

I've been thinking about giving fish oil to my pugs. Not sure that it's necessary though.

They get sardines once a week and they also get kelp and flaxseed oil in their dinner every night.

Mine get it purely because Monte is on it for his epilepsy. I only give it to the other Pugs a few days a week on average and Monte every day.

I've been thinking about giving fish oil to my pugs. Not sure that it's necessary though.

They get sardines once a week and they also get kelp and flaxseed oil in their dinner every night.

Mine get it purely because Monte is on it for his epilepsy. I only give it to the other Pugs a few days a week on average and Monte every day.

Yeah I think that if I did start giving it I would only do it a few days a week.

Beans is on fish oil for her allergies and the other kids are on it because it is a natural anti-inflammatory.

Beans weighs 15kg and she was getting 3000mg per day. I was using fish oil tablets which you get from a Pharmacy, 500 tablets for less than $20 - great value I thought. Then I had a hair analysis done on Beans and it showed the highest mercury levels they have ever seen in a dog. So do be careful that whatever fish oil you use has been mercury tested and that if you email the company they can actually give you proof that it has. Many will say yeah we test and then when you push nothing is forthcoming.

I am now giving the kids Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil. Its expensive $38 a bottle but I know it has been mercury tested. A bottle lasts about a month and I give 1/2 teaspoon per day.

Then I had a hair analysis done on Beans and it showed the highest mercury levels they have ever seen in a dog.

Slightly OT, but you cannot test for mercury levels from a hair sample and if someone's telling you they can they're ripping you off. The amount of mercury found in hair is NOT a reflection of mercury concentrations in the rest of the body. Mercury is ubiquitous in the environment and can get into hair from food, water, hair preparations and even from the air, therefore the only way to accurately test for mercury levels in the body is by taking a blood or urine sample.

[therefore the only way to accurately test for mercury levels in the body is by taking a blood or urine sample.

Yep had those done too.

Have the Lab report in front of me and the urine and blood results confirm the hair analysis. The hair analysis was done by Interclinical Laboratories Pty Ltd in NSW