Orijien Food

Well, he's been on Orijien for 5 days now and at long last almost every stool being normal. One thing I have noticed is that he's pooing less...but boy are they big! :love:

They're a lot less smelly and he's almost stopped scratching.

So all good. :love:

Fantastic news poochmad! Maybe add sardines every week too and reduce the amount of kibble that night for assisting further with the itching (great source of omega 3!)

Instead of adding the sardines weekly, would it be ok to mix it in daily? Just concerned about him having a change of diet and also more than happy to eat the kibble one day and then not the next - without the sardines.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, he's been on Orijien for 5 days now and at long last almost every stool being normal. One thing I have noticed is that he's pooing less...but boy are they big! :love:

They're a lot less smelly and he's almost stopped scratching.

So all good. :love:

Fantastic news poochmad! Maybe add sardines every week too and reduce the amount of kibble that night for assisting further with the itching (great source of omega 3!)

Instead of adding the sardines weekly, would it be ok to mix it in daily? Just concerned about him having a change of diet and also more than happy to eat the kibble one day and then not the next - without the sardines.

YOu can. With one can of sardins i think there are 4 or 5 pieces of fish, just add one per day.

I am so glad your little one is doing so much better

I don't know how you giant breed owners afford Orijien.

Perhaps because it was something which most of us consider before buying a large breed - the cost of feeding a giant dog.

In my case it is simple - how can I afford to have my dog suffer through a constantly irritated bowel which causes discomfort and also unpleasantness for me (chronic wind and runny poo)?

Even if my financial circumstances were such that I should look at cheaper alternatives - to me my dog's health is more important and I would find something else to compromise on.

Feeding one giant breed is probably no different to feeding 2 smaller breeds.

My question was genuine. Until recently we bought Eukanuba Large Breed for our Wei (and have done for 4 years from the above shop - travelling many k's to avoid people like Coles to support our local...ish pet shop). It costs about $80 for a 15kg bag.

Okay, I know this has already got lots of responses, but I just wanted to add that there is a huge difference in the ingredients list between Orijen and Eukanuba. I was taught to look at the ingredients up until the first fat. These make up the bulk of the food, and gives you a more accurate idea of what's in it than just looking at the first four ingredients.

Orijen: Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, chicken fat...

Meat makes up the first three products. In total, meat makes up 70% of the food. Most of the meat is mealed which means the water is removed. There are no grains. This gets the highest rating (six stars) on the Dog Food Analysis website, which calls it "outstanding".

Eukanuba: Lamb, Brewers Rice, Corn Meal, Fish Meal (source of fish oil), Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Dried Egg Product, Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Fat...

On Dog Food Analysis, they point out that the lamb is not mealed and therefore would have a high water content. If you removed the water lamb would come further down the list. Brewer's rice is a cheap and hard-to-digest grain. Corn meal's even worse. Fish meal is terrific, but it doesn't really make up for the dependence on grain to "beef up" (sorry) the food. On dogfoodanalysis.com, Eukanuba products get one to two stars only and are not recommended. They're expensive for what they are.

In other words, study the ingredients list and the difference between the two prices becomes blindingly obvious. There are, of course, lots of ways to feed you dog well without feeding Orijen. But I would suggest that Eukanuba is actually over-priced for what you get.

But on the other hand, my childhood dogs grew up on tinned pal and all lived until ripe old ages. So who knows.

OK

I got a bag of free Eukanuba Sensitive skin from our friendly pet store - Our Wei's skin erupted !!!!

Got a bag of Orijen and things are looking good so far

Still on the oil capsules and anti-histamines (will drop them off hopefully in the next few weeks) but I have to say that we have our little fingers crossed

I still question the cost at about $10/kg

Being fairly cynical, i think that pet food makers, like wedding people, charge an extra 'guilt tax' such that if we were to question 'why it's so expensive?' we get that look of 'what, is it not worth it?'

flame on.... ;))

I've ordered a sample pack of Orijen Adult from 4paws (excellent service), it should be here tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how my girl goes on it, she can be finicky with food.

I am trying to work something out. Does anyone know how many cups are in a 2.5kg bag of Orijin?

According to their guide, 1 cup of the adult is about 115grams. So that would mean there's about 21 cups, though I'd say a couple less if you take into consideration the weight of the bag.

I am trying to work something out. Does anyone know how many cups are in a 2.5kg bag of Orijin?

According to their guide, 1 cup of the adult is about 115grams. So that would mean there's about 21 cups, though I'd say a couple less if you take into consideration the weight of the bag.

Thanks Stormie. Some of mine are on Orijin but I buy the big bags. I am taking 1 Adult and 2 pups over to the Adelaide Royal and was trying to work out whether a 2.5kg bag would be big enough for the adult for a week.

I have been very keenly following this thread (thank you to all the contributors) and decided to try the Orijen.

Received my 7kg bag of the Orijen Adult from Pookinuk within 48hours of ordering :).

This is the very last kibble I will try for my Lucas before reverting to an all raw diet - have run out of options - presently Eagle Pack Duck/Oatmeal breakfast and raw dinner.

Both my dogs eat everything, one without any issues (Mastiff) and the other with ongoing stool issues (Pharaoh) requiring I exercise extreme caution.

Also noted the 'wind' issues others have experienced :o - with two 30kg dogs sleeping indoors I will have to prepare an evacuation plan just in case!

My trial pack of the Adult Orijen arrived this morning from 4paws. :) Gave Angee a few to try and she absolutely loved it. I'll see how she goes on it over the next few days and then i'll order a bigger packet.

I also got some dried Tuna treats and they were a big hit also. :)

Henschke's breeder has advised the dog food shouldn't be over 20% protein (if he's scratching - which he's not now), yet I note that Orijien is 42%...over double the advised amount. Can anyone enlighten me on which is correct? Should Henshcke be getting less than 20% or is this only if he's scratching?