Antibiotics

SoL

Hi guys

My girl Sunny is hopefully preggers, however, she also has an ear infection. She seems quite susceptible to them. I've been cleaning her ears regularly to keep further infection at bay and it's worked - up til now.

So I'm taking her to the vets tonight but I'm worried that the antibiotics he surely will want to prescribe will affect the (hopefully there) sprogs (I'm hoping he'll agree to an u/s today to confirm).

Do a/bs pose a threat to unborn pups? I get the feeling they will. :o What would be the alternative?

Ta muchly

Em

I think the Vet is going to be your best person to ask about which anti-biotics are best for your girl, however if what she needs aren't going to be good for the pups then you have to make a well informed decision.

Go to the vets & see what he says & you can go home & research the drugs & pick up the drugs tomorrow if your happy with the "product warnings".

Having said that you also need to weigh up the distress of the ear issue on your bitch & what the outcome will be without AB

Yep, he prescribed Otomax, after plugging her ear with an antibacterial paste as well.

Just as an aside - he u/s'd my girl, she was 29 days yesterday but we couldn't see anything and he said that it was too early so to come back next week. I thought you could see pups at 4 weeks gestation? It's got me worried as I am really wanting this litter.

Had a ultrasound on my girl at 29 days and they could see the four live pups that she went on to have plus two pups that had implanted but had no heartbeat. So yes he should be able to see. I think they should also be able to palpate at 4 weeks.

Best times for u/s are 21 - 28 days. After that the whelps are too big to be picked up on u/s (for counting purposes) unless the vet can find heartbeats. Your best option now is to wait until after about 58 days and have an xray done.

U/s isn't infallible though. I've had a bitch ultrasounded and the vet said no puppies and she had 3. By the same token, I've had a bitch ultrasounded and the vet said 4 and there weren't any so presumably she reabsorbed them.

Do you realise ellz I'm hanging on to your last paragraph for grim death now!

Her waist has thickened, her teats have enlarged, especially at the back, she's a sook anyway so that hasn't changed so I'm really hoping they were just hiding.

Do you realise ellz I'm hanging on to your last paragraph for grim death now!

Her waist has thickened, her teats have enlarged, especially at the back, she's a sook anyway so that hasn't changed so I'm really hoping they were just hiding.

I feel your pain, I really do. My Am Cocker girl is coming back from Melbourne any day now and then my own private torture begins. Only this is her first season in three years so I will probably be more surprised if she IS in whelp. :laugh: