Teethering A Dog To You

Hi,have seen a few sites and dvd's that recommend teethering your dog to you for a certain time while inside,especially when you 1st get a dog.

Just wondering if anyone has done it and if so what benefits did you find it had?

I did it with my current BC bitch - my block is large, and fences not secure - especially for a puppy, and she was an escape artist (unlike my BC boy, who is 7 weeks older, and didn't need to be watched so closely. So I used my tracking lead (10m) to have her with me whenever I was doing stuff around the house or garden and couldn't pay full attention to her. I also used a big (8'x8' X pen - with a roof :thumbsup: .)

I think it was beneficial - it certainly kept her safe, and I think probably helped to increase the bond we have. It didn't squash her independence. :thumbsup: I found it good for housetraining too.

One of the funny remnants (she's 6 now) is that she's still ready to come outside with me to hang up the washing, when she hears the end of cycle beeps from the washing machine.

I don't think there are disadvantages, and at least in some situations, I think there are advantages. It certainly makes the human pay more attention to the pup.

I like it- the dog has to follow you- the dog is involved in your life a lot more- you have the chance to immediately reward good behaviour and correct mistakes - and you can quickly pick up on the need to toilet, or a desire to chew everything :rofl:

I've done it, without even knowing any of this. It's the only way Jonno can be inside without peeing on things or being stuck in his crate.

I did find that as a consequence, his behaviour improved enormously. He was much more willing to listen and much more settled.

I do this with new adult dogs and older puppies, and have found it really helps the dog to settle...when loose, they often whine and wander restlessly around, not knowing what to do with themselves. Being tethered to me gives them purpose and relieves them of making any decisions. As others have mentioned, it also helps heaps with house-training, leadership and bonding.

thankyou for your thoughts.I'm going to try it with one of my gsd's.I've had her for a couple of years now (got her as an older dog)but she is fear reactive towards other dogs and when inside if the kids happen to raise there voice she gets up and heads for the door.I really don't think we have any leadership issues happening,especailly as i own 2 other dogs and they have no problems like her so think it may help build the bond between us

Fingers crossed anyway

Edited by 4 Paws

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 4 Paws :laugh:

Just wondering if you tried this yet?

I watched what I think was the same DVD as you [Leerburg - Dominant Aggressive Dogs?] and I'm interested in trying this method at home to strengthen our position as pack leaders. I wonder how to go about it with so many dogs though :laugh: Do we crate ones that can't be with us? Do one dog at a time? Should we rotate dogs between myself and OH so we're both their pack leader?

Also, Chopper and Angel already have the occasional spazz out when we go places without them, would this method make them even less independent and more needy?

Hi 4 Paws :p

Just wondering if you tried this yet?

I watched what I think was the same DVD as you [Leerburg - Dominant Aggressive Dogs?] and I'm interested in trying this method at home to strengthen our position as pack leaders. I wonder how to go about it with so many dogs though :rolleyes: Do we crate ones that can't be with us? Do one dog at a time? Should we rotate dogs between myself and OH so we're both their pack leader?

Also, Chopper and Angel already have the occasional spazz out when we go places without them, would this method make them even less independent and more needy?

yep,thats the one :D

I did start doing it but my girl who I was trying it with ended up with a shoulder injury from falling off the back step so i stopped it as it was too much for her to be hoping up all the time when I moved although when she comes inside I will move her mat next to me and pop a lead on her as she tends to hop up and head to the door as soon as the kids raise there voices but than as soon as you'd let her out she would turn around and sit to come back in so the lead has stopped her doing this.

i was crating the other dogs when I was doing it and I feel she would be the only one with my lot that would benefit from it

I'll be starting it up again next week I think as she's alot better with the shoulder now

Edited by 4 Paws