Strange Aggression Issue

Just wanting peoples thoughts on this.

Trix used to have alot of dog aggression issues which started after she was attacked by 3 JRTxs. She is much better now and although this isn't really too much of an issue nowadays I am still curious as to why she does this.

When I have her on lead and she approches another dog/dog approaches her, she will have a sniff and all will seem fine until I call her away or tug on the lead even only slightly. As soon as there is any tension on the lead she will growl and put a paw over the other dog showing her dominance and sometime snap at it.

This doesn't happen much these days as she is much better but mostly because I take her to off lead areas.

She is perfectly fine off lead, she mostly ignores other dogs but will have a sniff and then keep trotting along. It is only when I have her on lead.

I have thought that it could be her being possessive of me but she doesn't seem to mind the dog being close until I go to call her away.

Anyway just wondering what others thought of this...

Thanks Ruthless, I had a quick read but it sounds a bit different to what Trix does. Also I try to pay attention to what body language I am giving her so I know she is not feeding any anxiety off me.

She is not aggressive at all while approaching or sniffing its only if I put any tension on the lead. If I wait and let her walk off at her own pace she is fine.

Oh God! Another one :eek: We should form a club! If I find a solution you'll be the first to know :p xxxxxxxxxxx

:rofl: thanks

It would be so much better if I at least knew why she was doing it, that way I could work on it.....

This sort of thing is tricky when done by 'remote control !! :p

The advice from me would be to get a good trainer, or behaviourist in to observe EXACTLY what happens on a walk- get to know you and your dog- how you communicate, and give you some 'tools' to improve matters.

If you go thru some of the training,or puppy problem posts, there will be names of good people to contact.

I would suggest looking here- this is a DOL member ! :rofl:

and/or here

Hope you can get some good quality help soon :eek:

In my experience this is a common problem- that either exists on its own OR is a residual problem that remains after other aggression issues have been worked through.

Impossible to be certain without seeing but a few things that could be happening-

- If you used to be nervous and/ or shorten/ tighten lead when passing/ seeing other dogs, the dog may now connect the lead tension with prior feelings of nervousness/ fear/ aggressive responses and it acts as a cue for the aggressive behaviour

- Dog feels trapped when lead tension is felt- see this most often when dog agro dogs pull on the lead and behave aggressively but off lead okay.

- Dog is confused about what happens next/ no clear command as to when to move on away from other dog. May feel as though she is being corrected if she is a very soft dog and doesn't understand why she can sometimes sniff and is then pulled away.

When you call her away, do you call first and then tug the lead, or do both at the same time? Or worse, tug then call?

I think calling and tugging the lead at the same time is a common bad handling habit - god knows I had it, and still have it if I don't pay attention. I now try to give the dogs the opportunity to listen and respond before using the lead, it seems to have worked pretty well with my guys.

Also, this would not work for dogs of all sizes, but if they don't heed the call I just turn and walk away. I don't use my arm to tug the leash, I just walk and they have to follow because I'm holding the lead. This would possibly not work for small breeds where you might end up sledding them but for my guys it works fine.

In my experience this is a common problem- that either exists on its own OR is a residual problem that remains after other aggression issues have been worked through.

Impossible to be certain without seeing but a few things that could be happening-

- If you used to be nervous and/ or shorten/ tighten lead when passing/ seeing other dogs, the dog may now connect the lead tension with prior feelings of nervousness/ fear/ aggressive responses and it acts as a cue for the aggressive behaviour

- Dog feels trapped when lead tension is felt- see this most often when dog agro dogs pull on the lead and behave aggressively but off lead okay.

- Dog is confused about what happens next/ no clear command as to when to move on away from other dog. May feel as though she is being corrected if she is a very soft dog and doesn't understand why she can sometimes sniff and is then pulled away.

Thanks for everyones advice.

I think it is most likely the bolded scenario....and it seems to be a residual problem as most of the other issues have diminished.