• Hills Science Diet
    • Artemis
    • Bonnie
    • Vivace
    • Natural Balance
    • Ziwi Peak
    • Orijien
    • Nutrience

I haven't even heard of a couple of those foods, but anyway, Bonnie working dog for the Staffy as he has loads of allergies and it is the only one he can handle because it is roo and no beef, chicken or lamb.

Hi Rommimum,

I was interested to read this and checked a bag out at work today. Ingredients as follows:

Cereals and bran, real roo meat, tallow from beef and/or mutton, meat and meat by product derived from beef and/or mutton, chicken by product meal, vegetable protein, real chicken, salt, vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids, natural flavour.

If he can handle the Bonnie, which does contain beef, chicken and lamb, then it might be worth you trying him on other foods (if you are inclined to) which have named meats (meaning, chicken meal, lamb meal etc rather than and/or) which might help him even more. We have a big staffie population, a reasonable percentage of which have allergies, and almost without fail have had success with Lamb Meal and Rice formulas (such as in Nutro and now Pro Pac), Eagle Pack Holistic Fish, and Orijen.

It is really worth reading ingredient lists and not relying on the front of a bag, which as with human foods, can often be the result of clever marketing rather than full disclosure.

Sags

btw, we feed Orijen to our girls with Ziwipeak cans from time to time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sagittarian - Thanks for that I was unaware. I know when it first came out it was Roo only, goes to show you need to read package regularly. He is allergic to 38 things other than foods, but I know if somoene has given him a piece of beef or something. That may help explain why for tha last 18 months I have been having to fight very hard to try and keep his skin problams to a minimum. I think I mught just go Roo meat and a home made diet. A bit of fiddling but worth it if he won't look like a semi cooked lobster most of the time, esp coming into spring/summer which is really hard on him. Thank heaps for the info.

ETA I cannot get any of the food you mentioned down here that I know of, but will do some more research.

Edited by rommimum

I used to feed Eagle Pack Holistic but Stella my young and very feral/active JRT wasn't putting any weight on. I changed her to Advance Active and I'm seeing a difference already.

My other JRT Pippa also started getting very picky with the EP which is not like her at all. I have tried Pro Plan, not much diffrence so she will be started on Advance too and I'll see how she goes on it.

Nutrience Derma, as it's the only dry food he can eat without his skin erupting (due to allergies). Apart from that, he gets a raw diet with no grains & very little chicken, as they also cause him to break out.

Have you tried the Holistic?

Just wondering, a while ago i was trying to work out what was the best one - They do good on holistic, so will prob just keep them on that.

Do you mean the Nutrience Holistic or Eagle Pack Holistic (I think that's what it's called)?

We haven't tried either of those, when he was a pup (and his allergies were a lot worse back then) we went through quite a few brands of food trying to get the balance right. We've stuck with the Derma as it is the only food we've tried that stops him breaking out at all (excluding big weepy rashes from rolling in fresh grass in the spring time). The only problem is, it has to be mixed in really well with his mince & veggies as it seems to be really unpalatable to him.

Have you tried yours on both Nutrience Derma & Holistic? Does Holistic seem to be more palatable?

I have been using Advance food mixed with raw beef, or lamb, or chicken and either cooked or raw veges, consisting of carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin, silverbeet, broccoli, zuchinni, not necessarily all at once, sometimes I add rice or pasta.

Two of my pugs will eat, then almost immediately vomit it back up.

This breeding season I have had two Frenchies and two Pugs with Vaginal Hyperplasias and I am wondering if it could be food related. I have been breeding dogs for 35 years and never experienced this before. It is interesting to note that one of the Pugs does not live with me, she has had 3 heats prior to this one and never had a H/P before, now she is on Advance and she has a small one. My other Pug bitch has had two litters of 7 without a hint of a H/P, this time she had one protruding about the size of a golf ball.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?????

Nutrience Derma, as it's the only dry food he can eat without his skin erupting (due to allergies). Apart from that, he gets a raw diet with no grains & very little chicken, as they also cause him to break out.

Just wondering, a while ago i was trying to work out what was the best one - They do good on holistic, so will prob just keep them on that.

Do you mean the Nutrience Holistic or Eagle Pack Holistic (I think that's what it's called)?

We haven't tried either of those, when he was a pup (and his allergies were a lot worse back then) we went through quite a few brands of food trying to get the balance right. We've stuck with the Derma as it is the only food we've tried that stops him breaking out at all (excluding big weepy rashes from rolling in fresh grass in the spring time). The only problem is, it has to be mixed in really well with his mince & veggies as it seems to be really unpalatable to him.

Have you tried yours on both Nutrience Derma & Holistic? Does Holistic seem to be more palatable?

Nutrience, sorry!

My guys are on it, but after reading your post, i am going to order a bag of Derma next.

We feed original and supreme to the boarders, and holistic to all the bull terriers that the boss's own - they have one bitch who has bad skin problems, after reading your post, we are going to get a bag of derma for her and see how she goes (we just did a big order, so wont be for a while!)

All raw diet here with some organic dry but not every day. Brands I have used have been Eagle Pack Organic, Dick Van Patten - Natural Balance and I am looking at stocking Orijen soon, so will give that a go. I don't rely on the dry food, half the time I wonder why I even use it at all.

Nutrience, sorry!

My guys are on it, but after reading your post, i am going to order a bag of Derma next.

We feed original and supreme to the boarders, and holistic to all the bull terriers that the boss's own - they have one bitch who has bad skin problems, after reading your post, we are going to get a bag of derma for her and see how she goes (we just did a big order, so wont be for a while!)

Let us know how you go, it really did wonders for Diesel's skin (and quality of life - no more sore tummy & toes!) and I hope it helps with your boss's girl too.

Edited by ell&diesel

I haven't even heard of a couple of those foods, but anyway, Bonnie working dog for the Staffy as he has loads of allergies and it is the only one he can handle because it is roo and no beef, chicken or lamb. Whippy is on Advance with a little meat and rice, added as well as chicken frames from time to time and piggy ears, and looks fantastic.

My staffy, retriever and kelpie are all on Bonnie Working Dog....seems to be agreeing with all 3 of them.

I started my GSD on "Royal Canin GSD junior" and my xBreed girl on "Royal Canin Labrador"

Now that I'm a relatively poor student on a budget I've swapped it for "Bonnie Puppy" for my 18 month old GSD (and my Greyhound) and "Bonnie Lite" for my xbreed, she puts on weight very easily.

I havent noticed much difference. They're fine on Bonnie :p

However i do give them mince, chicken, eggs, fishy stuff etc with their kibble about 3 times a week.

• 2 weeks later...

opps.... I accidently voted for Eagle Pack when I should have clicked on Eagle Pack Holistic. Jett LOVES it, I also mix in natural yoghurt and raw meat (beef/lamb/kangaroo or chicken necks on occassion)

Trina

I haven't even heard of a couple of those foods, but anyway, Bonnie working dog for the Staffy as he has loads of allergies and it is the only one he can handle because it is roo and no beef, chicken or lamb. Whippy is on Advance with a little meat and rice, added as well as chicken frames from time to time and piggy ears, and looks fantastic.

My girl has skin allergies too, I tried her on Advance Sensitive Skin and she does really well on it. I also get Bonnie Complete depending on what the bank balance is like and what our local pet supply place has when we need more food.

The local pet supply is a very dodgy looking place, but they buy up a lot of damaged and mis-marked stock from places like City Farmers so I can usually get a bag of Advance really cheap, the current bag cost me $60 because the bag got cut with a box cutter when they were unloading, they just taped it back up and I got a full bag for about $50 less than normal price! :)

Bonnie working dog changed there ingredients quite awhile ago.We used it regularly through the kennels as a mid range for those dogs not use to premium.

After the change we have switched to Coprice .

Our personal dogs

Mins get Euk

Irish/english Pro plan salmon

Gordon EP holistic

Guest PixieOfWrath

Uncle Alber's and Royal Canin.

Uncle Alber's is the only food I have tried that will keep weight on Desmo without sending me broke. The fact that it's cheap is a huge bonus too!

I have been feeding Evo for about 2 months now and its great, the dogs coats are really glossy. I feed 60%, sometimes more, raw, but always have dry as well. Evo has no grains just fruit, vegi and meat, and says on the pack it is human grade.

Eagle Pack Regular here and I can really see the difference! My 14yo has got the zoomies back again and her coat looks beautiful :thumbsup: I would hate to see how vigorous she would get on the Eagle Pack Holistic lol :worship:

Bec.

Eagle Pack here but I'm the lazy type and don't like ordering things in (wish I could just go to a shop and buy a 15KG bag).

Its also a bit pricey but much better quality than the supermarket stuff. Definitely yields much smaller poos as well.