V.i.p. Petfoods Roll For Dogs

I do not liek VIP as its very greasy. Also dogs do not like it.

I used to use protapak but Coles stopped supplying it. So I now use Coles brand which looks very like protapak

Prota was taken over by VIP a few years ago.

We did consider stocking these at one point but found the Ecopet to be more consistent quality.

Sags

Just a bit off topic but anyone ever wonder how our dogs survived years ago? Our dogs were fed scraps and tinned food, now there is so much choice and advice on what to feed and what not to feed.

I was wondering this the other day, too. Grew up with dogs getting fed cooked table scraps and PAL dog food, worming was done with the Exelpet pump-action syrup, and now there is so much debate over raw vs dry vs canned vs rolls...and then of course "supermarket" vs "premium" quality

And as I scooped up some poop the other day I had to wonder... when I was young, a common sight was a bit of bright-white dried out dog poop. I never see that any more...what was it, and where did it all go? :happydance:

Just a bit off topic but anyone ever wonder how our dogs survived years ago? Our dogs were fed scraps and tinned food, now there is so much choice and advice on what to feed and what not to feed.

It is a wonder isn't it, I don't recall any of my dogs of my childhood or youth not making their teens, and the diets they got would obviously make some here beat me with the big stick.

But then they didn't suffer monthly applications of chemicals for worms, fleas, bed bugs or moths, and they didn't get vaccinated every year, but that is another thread all together . :banghead:

And as I scooped up some poop the other day I had to wonder... when I was young, a common sight was a bit of bright-white dried out dog poop. I never see that any more...what was it, and where did it all go? :banghead:

I don't know if this is true but someone told me that the poop used to be white because dogs ate more bones then, hence more calcium in their diet. Could be a load of old Cr*p though :rolleyes: pardon the pun (Sorry, my bad)

And as I scooped up some poop the other day I had to wonder... when I was young, a common sight was a bit of bright-white dried out dog poop. I never see that any more...what was it, and where did it all go? :banghead:

I don't know if this is true but someone told me that the poop used to be white because dogs ate more bones then, hence more calcium in their diet. Could be a load of old Cr*p though :rolleyes: pardon the pun (Sorry, my bad)

Feeding bones will do it, they just dry up and go chalky white.

:banghead: How true? My parent-in-law feeds their German Shepherd X leftovers from their meals with some supermarket dry food. She is 13 years old now and still as strong as an ox.

I feed it every now and then for a change. Mine get a variety of stuff like , lamb brest, brisket bones, beef chunks, roo chunks, chicken frames but there eagle pack bikkys. My old girl get the same as that but she gets Bonnie bikkies.

My mu feeds her GSD VIP dog roll everyday and he thrives on it. His coat is always shiny and she has never had a prob with him while he has been on it.

We use VIP at work for the FUSSY eaters! Its the only thing we can get some of them to eat!

Yep me too when a days starve doesn't work I'll bring out the VIP always works a treat.There is another Ecopet I found it a bit better but as long as it works.....Go for it. :banghead: Mine are on a combination of dry and raw with other foods.

Edited by Delkerabo

We were giving VIP rolls to our GSD but she had continual runs and vomiting so had to go back to dry food only for 2 weeks and wil slowly introduce he back to other foods when we find out what food makes her sick but Im pretty sure it was from swapping VIP rolls too often.. could be an allergy...

and i found a white dried up poop down the side of the house the other day.. (one I missed)

Daily bones will give the white poop of yester year:) I haven't used the roll, but have seen the adverts. I use the chunkers for training which don't seem to cause a problem, but seeing once opened they go off in about 3 days no matter how cold the fridge is I don't think is too many additives. Maybe I will buy a roll and see, but don't tend to feed them as a rule, sometimes just for a very old dog we baby sit that loves it and as an occasional treat. My Staffy has food allergies - in particlau to colours and preservatives so I am a bit careful with any roll type products, I hate plastic polony (Devon or Fritz depending where in Australia you are from!)and dogs rolls are a bit the same!

Daily bones will give the white poop of yester year:) I haven't used the roll, but have seen the adverts. I use the chunkers for training which don't seem to cause a problem, but seeing once opened they go off in about 3 days no matter how cold the fridge is I don't think is too many additives. Maybe I will buy a roll and see, but don't tend to feed them as a rule, sometimes just for a very old dog we baby sit that loves it and as an occasional treat. My Staffy has food allergies - in particlau to colours and preservatives so I am a bit careful with any roll type products, I hate plastic polony (Devon or Fritz depending where in Australia you are from!)and dogs rolls are a bit the same!

I am fostering a Ridgeback and have been feeding him Super coat with VIP as well as bones but he has had two bouts of blood in his stools 3 weeks ago and again yesterday.In between time completely back to normal stools then the runs with blood.The vet said it may be sensetive stomach reacting to preservitives. So am changing his diet whilst waiting for blood results. Has anyone had this reaction from VIP rolls?

I haven't use them as yet, My Staffy gets really foul smelling very runny poos and foul smelling farts when he has eaten something he shouldn't (Multiply that by a thousand when he stole and ate a very old Ostrich egg!!!!) His skin also have a major break out he goes very red in a short period of time and can scratch most of his coat out to bleeding overnight if he gets into something really bad for him!!

I haven't seen blood in his poos as yet but we have 5acres around the house and he goes as far away as possible to do his poos so it may have happened, just not that I have seen. I cannot feed my Staffy Supercoat. He is allergic to things other than food and has been known to go out for a roll in the grass and come back 5 minutes later completely covered in hives! I would be very careful about most of the foods if your dog has a sensitive tummy. Hope all tests come back okay for you both.

I just had a look at the ingredients on the website. The has

Ingredients: Beef, lamb, selected cereals (barley, rice, bran), liver chunky vegetables, heart, kidney, garlic and fortified with essential vitamins and minerals (including calcium, iron and zinc).

What "liver chunky vegetables" means is anyone's guess. Presumably they forgot the comma: "liver, chunky vegetables". Which then begs the question: what are "chunky" vegetables and how do they differ from regular vegetables?

Other than these obfuscations, the ingredients list looks alright. At least the rolls are made of named meat and not corn. Which makes them far superior to Pedigree.

However, having heard the reactions some of your dogs have had, I probably wouldn't risk it.

Martha gets Orijen Large Puppy kibble, regularly supplemented with fresh chicken wings/necks/frames, other raw meaty bones, and tinned sardines. She loves her tucker, she's full of beans, and her coat is almost reflective, so I'm happy with the diet.

I wont use it. Had a major recall some years ago, and made the news by poisoning a few dogs.

Re the "old days" and scraps. We had dogs pre canned food. I think ours ate pretty well - offcuts from the butcher which were real meat - before they started making it into mince, eggs, milk, bones, and table scraps which would have been meat and veges, sometimes fish, a bit of pudding - there was so much variety it must have been balanced!!