Crate Training

periau

Awww Periau!!! Keep doing what you're doing... Be strong and don't give in... It's awful, awful, awful but you don't want to teach puppy that howling will make good things happen!!

Has pup got some toys to cuddle with? Or maybe a little snack or something for distraction? It helped when Jedi was in the crate that he could see us... Would that help?

Awww Periau!!! Keep doing what you're doing... Be strong and don't give in... It's awful, awful, awful but you don't want to teach puppy that howling will make good things happen!!

Has pup got some toys to cuddle with? Or maybe a little snack or something for distraction? It helped when Jedi was in the crate that he could see us... Would that help?

Hey TN,

shes got a few toys in there and some blankets, her dinner, which shes not really eating, and some water, the tv is on.

The crate is in my room. I'm in the study across from my bedroom- shes stopped now, and i think shes asleep, but all my other dogs never did this, they were so good and easy, hence my heart breaking when she howls and cries! i feel so mean- and my housemate doesnt approve.

ETA: started again

Edited by periau

Hiya,

I had to give my pup my slipper, or a sock, or something I had JUST worn, it really helped her. I didn't cover the front of the crate and only put her in when I went to bed too, so she sees us go to sleep etc (I'm edging it out the door now!). I had to stop the bark/cry etc as it wakes the baby (human!), and yes, breaks the heart. But its a lot better now, and the baby wakes her LOL. But she still sleeps a lot better with a sock or slipper.

Hang in there

It is really horrible at first. Daisy used to scream when I put her in her crate at night. She would also pull at the wires with her teeth and cut her gums or get stuck. And it was the most heartbreaking thing ever. BUT, the first night she sleeps the whole way through with her crate door open makes it all worth it.

Howling like a Beagle :rofl: That is serious! ;)

Don't forget to reward the good behaviour! Do some "practice" when you have a chance and let puppy out for a play and a cuddle when she is quiet :) I always put Zig to bed with a puppy kong filled with his biscuits - quite often I would hear him wake up, have a gentle whinge, then discover his biscuits, have a small feed, quieten down and go back to sleep :party:

It will get better :rofl:

She did better last night.

But I was up every 2 hours- do people think she could hold on a bit longer than that? She's 8 weeks old, i'm exhausted getting up that often

We were getting up every 2-3 hours for Jedi when he was 8 weeks old. By about 11 weeks he was sleeping through the night.

You poor thing, hard isnt it.

But you have to stay strong, if you give in she will only do this longer. Ignore her is the best thing, hard but true.

She will stop needing the toilet a lot less soon but for now when to take her out dont talk to her dont cuddle just walk her outside, wait for her to do her thing and then right back in the crate without a word.

Hope it gets better for you all soon :rolleyes:

We just could not get Oscar to sleep more than 2 hours in his crate - it went on for 6 weeks or so. Eventually we caved and let him in bed with us - but given that we can't fit Patch on the bed too, it really isn't fair.

We are about to go back to putting him in his crate in our room tonight - so back to no sleep again :rolleyes:

We tried everything - hot water bottle, rewards, toys, blankets, stuff that smelled like us, nothing worked.

Interesting - what I found with my baby is that crate in another room was a problem but then I moved it into my bedroom till she was around 16 weeks and she was fine. Way less screaming if the crate was in the same room. The screaming only lasted maybe three nights before she was sleeping happily. Didn't help that on night 2 she had a runny tummy and I would get up and toilet her and then put her back to bed and she would keep whinging and I thought it was just her acting up so I left her in there, had to change the bedding 3 times that night as a result. I have recently moved it out to where I originally intended in another room outside my bedroom and she is happy to sleep in there overnight and I can still be close enough that when she starts to stir in the morning I can go and take her outside. The other thing I found is that I would only put her in there when she is fully settled. So she is allowed to fall asleep on my bed/on one of the dog beds/in somebodys lap. Then I'll take her out before I go to bed to toilet her and then into the crate for the night. I also found that bundling her up over night with blankets meant she was less likely to wake up in the middle and need to go out.

We had a few weeks of waking up at 2-3am but since making sure she is wrapped and warm before bed she was much more inclined to sleep through.

ETA. I forgot I also had a puppy pen up for a while that she would be put in the evening and allowed to fall asleep in that before being shifted to the crate later.

Edited by ness

Interesting - what I found with my baby is that crate in another room was a problem but then I moved it into my bedroom till she was around 16 weeks and she was fine.

That seems to be the case with Summer.

for example- i just had to change my bed cos she piddled on it whilst playing with my other young dog. I put her back in the crate and a few whinges i just carried on and shes asleep now and im in the study across the hall.

Would any of you suggest a puppy pen or continue with the crate?