Hair Matting Problem

GoldD

I have a beautiful golden retriever who has turned one this week who is currently dropping coat. My problem is that it is his undercoat and as this is dropping it is matting with the upper coat.

I am currently brushing him 2-3 times per day. He gets wet and the problem gets really bad and I am struggling keeping up with the matting. The beach is our walking area and impossible to keep a golden out of the water!! :)

Does anyone have any suggestions. I am picking up a girlfriends Mars Coat King to give it a go tomorrow?

What does everyone think? I am sure once all dropped he will be all fine again until next time.

He is washed with Aloveen shampoo and I have just purchased some conditioner.

Look forward to hearing any recommendations. Thank you.

I visited my dogs old groomer today and she showed me a new product she's using.

Cowboy Magic detangler is available from equestrian suppliers. It was made for use on horses manes and tails but she says its amazing on matts.

I might need to look into that one, thankyou!!

I have a beautiful golden retriever who has turned one this week who is currently dropping coat. My problem is that it is his undercoat and as this is dropping it is matting with the upper coat.

I am currently brushing him 2-3 times per day. He gets wet and the problem gets really bad and I am struggling keeping up with the matting. The beach is our walking area and impossible to keep a golden out of the water!! :)

Does anyone have any suggestions. I am picking up a girlfriends Mars Coat King to give it a go tomorrow?

What does everyone think? I am sure once all dropped he will be all fine again until next time.

He is washed with Aloveen shampoo and I have just purchased some conditioner.

Look forward to hearing any recommendations. Thank you.

Oops on the previous post!!

Do you use a slicker brush to get the old hair out? They work a treat, also a friend swears by a thing called the Zoom Groom, I saw her brushing a dog and it did seem to get a lot of hair out. Just a hint, it is easier to get old hair out just after a bath and blow dry. Good luck, I have 6 Cavaliers and they just drop coat non stop, talk about tumbling tumble weeds :)

I visited my dogs old groomer today and she showed me a new product she's using.

Cowboy Magic detangler is available from equestrian suppliers. It was made for use on horses manes and tails but she says its amazing on matts.

Thanks for that poodlefan :)

I'll pass that on to my friend who has a poodle/schnauzer X (I refuse to call it a "Schnoodle") called Lucy. Lucy is Pele's buddy and we meet at the beach every day. Since they both swim, Lucy tends to get quite matted. Pele, being a Bull Terrier never has a bad hair day :)

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I used the mars coat king today and what a machine!! I am impressed! Will open a new thread asking a question about it...

He has never has a hydrobath, only bathed in our bath and if it's late and he is still damp at 9ish at night he gets the human hairdryer (which he hates). I find it really difficult to part with $40 for a hydrobath, would prefer to spend that on top quality food and the odd toy and repairs/replacements to all he destroys :eek:

Maybe I will keep it in mind for next time.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I used the mars coat king today and what a machine!! I am impressed! Will open a new thread asking a question about it...

He has never has a hydrobath, only bathed in our bath and if it's late and he is still damp at 9ish at night he gets the human hairdryer (which he hates). I find it really difficult to part with $40 for a hydrobath, would prefer to spend that on top quality food and the odd toy and repairs/replacements to all he destroys :eek:

Maybe I will keep it in mind for next time.

$40 for a hydrobath! :laugh:

Hi

Whenever I get a matted dog, I buy some cheap (very cheap) human hair conditioner.

After the dog has been hydrobathed - I refresh the water and start putting the conditioner into the matts.

Then the dog sits (full of conditioner for five or ten minutes.

Then I run the hydrobath water through the conditioner, until most of it is in the tank.

I keep using this water until the matts drop out.

Then the slicker brush is used, while the blow dryer is seperating the hairs.

Long haired dogs need a fair bit of grooming, to keep them looking stunning.

post-7427-1220760592_thumb.jpg

This is Lady, she was found tied up, outside a vet clinic :laugh:

Her owners had left her matted for years.

Her chin was stuck near her chest due to the matts.

Her bum and inbetween her back legs, were full of old dog poo, from a filthy garden.

This pic was taken after three baths and nine hours of trimming matts out :)

The tri boy is my own dog Bobbie.

post-7427-1220760740_thumb.jpg

I find it really difficult to part with $40 for a hydrobath,

OHMIGOD!!!!! That's highway robbery!

I use the hydrobath at the local pet shop, they charge $8.00 per dog and it's a DIY set up. I love it cos I don't have ANY mess at home and I can get the dogs clean right down to their skin and get rid of a lot of dead hair at the same time.

A bath at home just doesn't do the same job, I'm afraid as the hydrobath forces the water through the coat, not just wets it.

Until this week I didn't have a proper dog dryer and I'd just towel dry the dogs, crate them in the car and bring them home and use my daughters hairdryer on them. Now I have a proper dog dryer so it's much easier to get them dry.

I agree the hydrobath with a great blow dry with a force dryer works really well! I only charge $25-$35 for a full wash/condition/dry, and a full dematting procedure and any other bits that need doing ie nails/ears/feet trimming. They go home dry and smelling great. Try taking him to a professional groomer once a month to keep him in tip top condition.