Hand Stripping

Teebs

ok, well we were flat out today, poor girl is still only half done :thumbsup:

Can i get some hints on doing ears and around the face? She isnt too happy with it, and i dont want to get bitten!

top tip for the face - watch where the whiskers are, the ones on the cheeks may need pulling out separatly to stripping the face. With the ears I put on some chalk, either onto the hair or onto my fingers, then finger and thumb the ears. With the face, either do it the same way or you can use a curved stripping knife which gets around the shape of the face easier. Make sure you pull just a few hairs at a time and in a quick motion while keeping the skin tight.

Tatelina, yes, this is done for show dogs and on some pets. How long it takes depends on what the coat is like to begin with and whether you are rolling to coat on a weekly basis or letting it 'blow' to the point of it almost falling out. A blown coat can be removed in a relatively short time, rolling my mini schnauzers coat can take 1/2 hour a couple of times a week.

Poor Gomez being seen in his undies, no wonder he has to leave the country!

Guest june.andnovas

im hopefully getting a pepper/salt g.schnauzer pup later this year and would much prefer to hand strip.

watched two giants get clipped yesterday and the owner said that over time clipping can damage the hair, the coat colour also lightens over time from clipping. her male has lighten from when he was growing up.

could someone explain rolling the coat? does that tie in with stripping?

:rofl: stripping. My Lakeland in pic below, with malt and ACD, is NOT stripped in the photo!! He looks like a big fluff ball :) So after Lakelands and Wolfhounds!!! I have a Spinone!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyone would think I LOVE stripping (dogs that is :rofl: (). I do not show and am pretty lazy, so I use disposable rubber gloves that grip the hair easily. I strip every morning when I have my outside coffees with the dogs, so she usually looks pretty 'hit and miss', but cute all the same :thumbsup: God, almost forgot, also had giant schnauzers :eek: I must be bloody crazy, don't answer that! :(

Dont think i would want to do it all the time, but it can be pretty relaxing! (yep, im strange)

I do too, dont worry!

I use latex rubber gloves...

My young bitch is currently in her 'pajamas'! lol

Edited by Missymoo

Monah, sorry, I always thought that was a poodle! :love:

June, have a look at the britmor schnauzer site, it has really good grooming info, it is for minis, but the same principle applies. Rolling the coat is something you have to learn if you are going to show, itmeans you work on the coat weekly taking out the longest hairs, so there is always new coat growing in at different lengths. If you just strip out the dog every few months, you have a very limited show time when the coat is looking good. With a p/s colour it is harder as you have to work evenly over the coat to get the right look, otherwise it can look a bit patchy.

TB, I hope you get that poor dog finished soon or the new coat is going to have a patchy look of long and shorter hair! Best to not leave more then a week between stripping in sections.

Guest june.andnovas
Here is Gomez before and after:

IMG_2160.jpg

CIMG1240.jpg

Tatelina you're not actually yankingout the hair, it comes out very easily, doesn't hurt...

Ruthless, I'm not sure staffies need stripping! It's for double coated breeds with wirey hair...

how long did this take you to complete? a day or over a few days?

Rolling a coat can only be donme after you have achieved a good coat.

With our schnauzers we stripped bald & its done over a few weeks.Back first then a week latter,kneck/bum week latter head,tail & any other pieces.

As the coat comes through you must work on it to maintain that coat for aslong as possible & if your very lucky & havea super coat you can roll it BUT you must do it weekly for it to look & be worthwhile

I have just got a Westie, so will be learning how to handstrip, he is only 9 weeks old and the coat isnt ready to come out yet... ive been told that at about 16 weeks he will be ready to fully strip, then I can work on it week to week as it comes back to make it look the way it should.

Oh and the dane 'stripping' I have done this when I have noticed my mums bitchs coat dying, she gets dull spots, so I pull it all out, the same coudl be done for a staffy I guess

Its going to be lots of fun learning..

I have just got a Westie, so will be learning how to handstrip, he is only 9 weeks old and the coat isnt ready to come out yet... ive been told that at about 16 weeks he will be ready to fully strip, then I can work on it week to week as it comes back to make it look the way it should.

Oh and the dane 'stripping' I have done this when I have noticed my mums bitchs coat dying, she gets dull spots, so I pull it all out, the same coudl be done for a staffy I guess

Its going to be lots of fun learning..

Yes, LOTS of fun :):eek::thumbsup: ;) .

Becks, POODLE!! I would love a poodle :) see, if he were stripped, he would look like he's supposed to, naughty me!!!

Are you guys serious??

Are you saying....that people who show and groom (and know what they are doing!) sit there and literally go over their entire dog and pull out their hair?!!!!!

It is NOT pulling out their hair. It is removing dead coat.

TB - use rubber thimbles and plenty of chalk. Much easier on your hands.

I tried to give her a comb over, but didnt work. All her back is done, and still abit on her legs to do (only cause we ran out of time) but the head is the part we are having trouble with. Poor girl :mad She will be all better tomorrow