Dog Who Loves Anything Sweet

Lab_Rat

Hi All

My ridgie has this bizarre fascination with anything that smells sweet. It can be anything at all, not just foodstuffs. Deodorant, lip balm, chocolate (of course :eek: ), soap, sweet drinks. Oh and fruit as well. She has never been fed lollies or chocolate, but does get fruit every now and then.

I have to hide my lip balm really well as shes already eaten one!! Well squished out the contents and left the little container, full of tooth holes :)

So I was wondering whether anyone elses pooch has this strange obsession, or whether it could be some medical/health issue??

A deficiency of some sort or some other weirdo thing :):wave:

Shes off to the vet next week, so I will definitely be quizzing the vet about it, but meanwhile I thought Id ask fellow DOLers if perhaps its a common thing?

Thanks RG

One of my dogs is EXACTLY the same!!!!!!

I put lip balm on and he'll hurl himself at me and try to eat my lips!!!

He also loves grapes and anything sweet and if he can get his little paws on it (which is rarely) he'll eat it/lick it to death.

I'll put perfume on and he'll start sneezing but won't leave because he likes the smell.... Strange one eh? :thumbsup:

Let me know how you go at the vet.

Mel

One of mine (gone to the bridge now) was fascinated by perfumes and sweet scents. If a visiting friend had mousse in their hair or hairspray it could be quite embarrassing, she'd almost climb onto their head to get a good sniffing in.

One of mine (gone to the bridge now) was fascinated by perfumes and sweet scents. If a visiting friend had mousse in their hair or hairspray it could be quite embarrassing, she'd almost climb onto their head to get a good sniffing in.

:thumbsup: I hope she was a little dog for the sake of your friends.

Phew...............glad Im not alone!! I forget to mention she also loooooooves to smell my hair!! When I bend down to pull on my rossi boots, or to pick up a lead etc., she pokes her big boofy beak into my hair and snuffles away!! :thumbsup::wave: Also likes to pokes its nose under my armpits when at the correct height to have a good sniff of my deodorant - or b.o. :rofl::love:

Poor things, it must be so infuriating, to be able to smell these smells and not be able to eat them! Well most of the time anyway!

I will definitely ask the vet about it!

RG

:thumbsup: I hope she was a little dog for the sake of your friends.

Yeah she was little - for a Borzoi :wave:

Mine have a thing for clipper oil. If I leave it on the grooming table, they climb or jump onto the table, whisk it off somewhere, bite holes in the tube or bottle, and lick it all up, and go "yum yum" and lick their chops. I go "oh, blast, no clipper oil"

I wouldn't dare buy lip balm!! :rofl: