Goodbye My Beautiful Bunny Boy

MelodysMum

I am absolutely devastated to have to tell you that my beautiful bunny boy Thomas died in my arms a few moments ago. I can't believe that he is gone. :love: He was my best bunny, the most wonderful bunny I have ever had in 25 years of rabbits as pets.

The worst part is that this morning he was well and happy. My husband decided to put Thomas and Cherry in the pen today out on the grass. Thomas was desexed, and the two of them loved playing together. They both had the same beautiful gentle nature. I was going out, and told him it was too hot and to bring Thomas inside. He was an inside bunny and was used to being in the cool house. He assured me he would, but by the time he brought Thomas in it was too late. When I arrived home he said Thomas wasn't well. :laugh: He had heatstroke. :) I am always so careful with the bunnies, but I wasn't there. I am blaming myself because I should have brought him inside before I left, but I was running late. If I had he would still be alive. I rang a friend who is a bunny vet and did everything he told me to do.

Cherry is fine, she is more used to the warmer days as she lives outside. We had put her back in her hutch with Lilly and Zoe before Thomas came inside.

Thomas started to look a bit better this afternoon, but he was very wobbly. I was making sure he had fluids, had cooled him etc., but tonight he started to look terrible, and now he is gone. I am devastated at his loss. He was five years old, too young to die. :laugh: I can't believe I will never cuddle my beautiful soft bunny boy again. My heart is breaking. :laugh:

Thomas14july07.jpg

Thomasdogz.jpg

My little button nose boy as a baby

Thomasdogz2.jpg

Goodbye my beautiful bunny boy. There will never be another bunny like you. I will never forget you! :eek:

I'm so so so sorry Wendy :thumbsup: I hope your baby Thomas will be seeing his little namesake Thomas at the bridge :)

Don't blame yourself, you know how things can happen with bunnies, they are tough but vulnerable.

Thank you so much everyone for your beautiful words. I knew the DOL community would understand. :o Your kindness and compassion has made me cry and has deeply touched the other members of my family. :eek:

I am still very upset about Thomas. I have been crying again this morning. I have never had such a bond with any other bunny and I feel so guilty about what happened. He was such a beautiful boy. We have always had rabbits, for 25 years, since before we were married, but Thomas was special. Our three girl bunnies live outside in a hutch (more like a bunny condo) together, but Thomas lived in the house with us.

We do have a new bunny boy now though; he arrived on Monday night. We weren't planning to get one this soon, but a friend who knew how upset I was contacted a breeder friend of hers. She had one bunny left from her latest litter and so we went to see him (I didn't want to hurt my friend's feelings). He was so gorgeous that we couldn't leave him there. He is absolutely adorable and is helping us to get over losing Thomas. He will never replace him, but he has made us smile the past couple of days. Here he is -

Babybunny24sept08.jpg

Babybunny24sept082.jpg

Bunny3.jpg

We have called him Reilly. :o I am sure he and Thomas would have loved each other.

Thank you again everyone for taking the time to write a comment. It means so much to me. :o

Reilly is sooo gorgeous! :rolleyes:

No bunny can ever replace Thomas, but you know you will have very many happy moments with Reilly and im sure Thomas wouldnt want you to cry at night but to celebrate his life and to remember the good times forever and smile! :laugh: