Puppy Eating Stones

belznp

Yes, be real careful to make sure he doesn't swallow the stones. Have a read of this - it scared me so much about my lab I watch her like a hawk:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/editors-...86908-20725795/

Try spraying chilli or tobasco sauce or citronella on the stones if it's impossible to keep the pup away. And make sure he's got lots of better things to chew instead!

I know how you feel....our puppy pretty much vacuums the back yard, she walks along with her nose on the ground and eats anything in her way.

I've caught her with stones, twigs, flowers,bird poo :thumbsup: , clothes pegs and clumps of dirt.

She rarely goes outside without someone to watch her, however, I'm sure she's swallowed things she shouldn't in the split second I'm not watching her, but as the other posters said this can be quite dangerous.

I've found that giving her a toy, a bone, or something she can chew on when she's outside stops her from hoovering the ground.

Just keep an eye on your pup and make sure he has something to distract him, toys etc, or that you're playing with him while hes out there.

A really goods toy for our girl is an old coke bottle with some liver treats inside and the top off, she'll try and get at them for ages and it's cheaper than a kong!

Hi-

make sure when you're no home, pup doesn't have access to stones/netting.

maybe fence off part of the yard?

When you ARE home- walk/train him lots- to give him something interesting- provide bones and kongs to chew/play with.... maybe a hanful of doggy bikkies in plastic drink bottles (with lid off )? Our pups love these 'rattles'..they can see and smell the food.. but have to roll the bottle around for ages to get what they want :thumbsup:

oops- sorry aussie3- didn't read all of your post ...snapp!!

Edited by persephone

Hi-

make sure when you're no home, pup doesn't have access to stones/netting.

maybe fence off part of the yard?

When you ARE home- walk/train him lots- to give him something interesting- provide bones and kongs to chew/play with.... maybe a hanful of doggy bikkies in plastic drink bottles (with lid off )? Our pups love these 'rattles'..they can see and smell the food.. but have to roll the bottle around for ages to get what they want ;)

oops- sorry aussie3- didn't read all of your post ...snapp!!

That's ok lol

It's the best thing to keep them out of your hair :thumbsup:

:mad I have a Pug that eats largish river pebbles. He also used to rattle but luckily they all made their way back out. You could tap his belly and hear them clicking together in side!

We had to block off his access to the pebbles. It was the only way to prevent a possible tragedy.

Edited by PugRescueSydney

:laugh: I have a Pug that eats largish river pebbles. He also used to rattle but luckily they all made their way back out. You could tap his belly and hear them clicking together in side!

We had to block off his access to the pebbles. It was the only way to prevent a possible tragedy.

I shouldn't laugh but ;) I can just picture a pug waddling and rattling as he walked :rofl:

Oscar is hopeless, we are constantly getting rocks and sticks off him, he manages to find them anywhere. We have only had once instance where he has vomitted one up, we try to get them off him as soon as we see it. He has oodles of toys and things, but just has a facination for anything he can chew.

My retriever digs up stones from the backyard and eats them. I sometimes find stones in her poo. I can't keep her confined inside all the time. She has lots of chew toys. Do you know if this is caused by any kind of deficiency in her system? Odin is with her all the time but he doesn't eat stones.