When Should I Spay My Labrodor Puppy?

LoremIpsum

I really like these two articles for considering the health effects of desexing:

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

PDF file - "Long Term Health Effects of Spay/Neuter in Dogs"

If you have the facilities to stop an entire bitch getting knocked up, then I would never have her desexed. If you do not have these facilities, get her desexed before her first season.

Thanks for the 2nd link. I read the 1st link before I got Tilba, now 8 mths, & decided to wait until after her 1st season before getting her spayed. The vet agreed with me when I took her in for her puppy vacs. She said it reduced the risk of vaginitis or something like that. I've been having cold feet lately because of family committments in Nov & as she still hasn't come into season I've been thinking I may have to have her done. By reading the 2nd link it's reminded me of why I'm not having her done.

There's so much to consider, it would be so much easier to decide if I had a male. Wait until after maturity.

I still havn't speyed my bitch at nearly 5 and still get berated by vets

oh she'll get cancer and die. FFS its not THAT common otherwise no one would breed.

I kept her entire for work purposes. I personally like large breeds to be speyed a little later like 8-12 months but nothing wrong with doing it at 5-6 months.

Who do these vets think they're kidding?

In all the bitches I have kept in over 30 years, not one has died of cancer, and the 2 that developed mammary cancer were desexed and had lumpectomies and lived cancer free for the rest of their natural lives.

I know. And in all seriousness they say 'dont you know every day you leave her entire you increase her risk"

ummm I'm not pumping chemicals into her I'm leaving her naturally formed uterus and ovaries IN HER BODY :scared:

Ahh yes brainwashing at its best.

I still havn't speyed my bitch at nearly 5 and still get berated by vets

oh she'll get cancer and die. FFS its not THAT common otherwise no one would breed.

I kept her entire for work purposes. I personally like large breeds to be speyed a little later like 8-12 months but nothing wrong with doing it at 5-6 months.

Who do these vets think they're kidding?

In all the bitches I have kept in over 30 years, not one has died of cancer, and the 2 that developed mammary cancer were desexed and had lumpectomies and lived cancer free for the rest of their natural lives.

I agree. My family has had many sheep working dogs over my lifetime, all bitches, and two have had cancer. One developed mammary cancer at around 6 years of age and the vet removed the lump and said she should have left it and the dog had months to live. She went on to live until she was over 14 and the tumour never came back and she wasn't desexed when it happened either - I don't know why but it was over 20 yrs ago. The other got cancer on her hip.

I really like these two articles for considering the health effects of desexing:

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

PDF file - "Long Term Health Effects of Spay/Neuter in Dogs"

If you have the facilities to stop an entire bitch getting knocked up, then I would never have her desexed. If you do not have these facilities, get her desexed before her first season.

Excellent articles Leema, just read them both, thanks for that :scared:

It's a really hard decision, I really would rather wait until Lili is mature and just keep her protected during her first season.

I know about the overpopulation problems and definitely see the importance of desexing but I'm a little more than annoyed that vets neglect to mention any negative effects to do with desexing.

Quite misleading me thinks.... :laugh:

I think it's important to remember that it's irresponsible breeding that is the problem, not 'not desexing'. Animals which are 'not desexed' don't just contribute to population problems by default- they contribute when they're not properly managed.

Some Vets scare me - they seem to be 'spey happy'! My pup needed a baby canine tooth removed, phoned a Vet (my long-time Vet retired :D )who in the first sentence mentioned desexing, explained that she was a show dog and would be bred the time was right - made a point of this. Vet. then went on about removing the tooth and mentioned an appointment time. I agreed with this then the final words from the Vet - "Oh and while she's under we could spey her at the same time" :thumbsup:. Promptly cancelled the appointment and made the long trip to the breeder's Vet. whom I knew would just remove the tooth.

I've had show dogs for over 50 years, never desexed a male, speyed one bitch at 8 years for her health, never had any problems related to not desexing nor any unplanned matings, maybe I've just been lucky.

Scout is getting spayed on friday, she will be 6mths.

I didn't pick the time based around her age, rather around when someone could be around for her most after the op. I'll be on holidays for two weeks, from fri so it seemed the best time to do it.

We have been getting flyers in the mail from a vet that we saw once, reminding us to desex her for the past two months. I felt they were really pushing for us to get it done mainly to make money from us not for the best interest of the dog.

Scout is our first dog so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of how she will feel after it. What should I expect????

Martha is soooo cute

I think they are better left until they have matured, having said that, it also has to fit in with you and what works for you. What to expect?? I am always amazed at how quickly bitches get over being speyed, they say to keep them quiet, well I say good luck if you can, most of mine have been wanting to jump around the next morning. Just watch that they don't lick too much and try to pull the stitches out, that is the only drama I have heard of.....They really are very tough.....

Jeez people — thank you for confusing me even further. I've decided that the easiest thing is start a campaign to get every male dog in the world neutered (even if I have to run around doing it myself), then keep Martha entire.

No seriously, thank you for all your advice. I have a lot to read and think about, but my first thoughts are definitely turned on their heads. I'm certainly not going to be doing it early, which is what I was considering.

Kazzie, that first picture is like looking in a mirror! (For Martha, not me.) Hope Martha turns out as pretty as your girl in your sig.

Thanks so much to all.

I also believe in allowing a dog to fully physically mature before desexing.

BUT and its a very big but.. if you have any doubt about your capacity to manage and securely contain a bitch in season, desex her before you get there.

If you want to know what you're in for, then ask in the breeders thread. However you should prepare for hormonal temperament changes, a possible phantom pregnancy and Houdini acts to escape your yard. One gate left open, a front door not closed quickly enough and she may be gone. If you have children in your home, you can't expect them to shoulder the responsiblity of containing your bitch.

You cannot leave an in season bitch alone in your back yard unless she is in a secure roofed run. She may try to get out and dogs may try to get in. Dogs have even successfully mated through chain link fencing.

Think good and hard about this before you let her have her first season.

Edited by poodlefan