Car Sickness

ZEPING

hey everyone,

whe i take my dog with me for drives it seems to pant and then gets car sick

any one over comed this issue ?

i want to be able to go to the beach without vomit!!

smells so bad!

the only thing that works is no feeding him before hand !!

but i dont want him to be starving especially if its a long drive!

btw my dogs 12weeks old GSD

My little girl was the same: screamed and screamed, then vomited and screamed some more.

I started taking her for car rides of about 10-15 minutes with a big play reward at the end, then home and a big play reward when we got there. She soon learnt that being in the car means fun and games and good experiences at the end of it. Within a few weeks, she was looking forward to the car trips and now she tries to jump in by herself.

Wookie vomitted the first several times he went for longish trips but he has grown out of it now. Hopefully your puppy will grow out of it too. :( he still hates the car by the way but at least he doesnt stink it out anymore. Good idea from jbb to make it a fun thing.

S.

Im opposite to everyone else, my dog used to love car trips, but the last few months, whenever i take him, he gets really sick, drools all over the place and looks as tho he is going to be sick - no idea what caused him to be like this, he is 5, and has always had car trips

The best way to avoid your puppy or dog being car sick is to take them for a drive between feeds, never just after he has eaten. Our new puppy gets car sick too so we are doing small car trips each day so he gets use to it. We also like to go to the beach etc with our dogs. We also make sure all of our windows are down a little, which seems to help. Today was the first day my puppy hasn't been 'car sick' - so there is progress.

hello,

yes I too had the same problem with my GSD (Dante) when he was a pup.

We started over coming this by only taking him somewhere where he would have fun (eg, park, beach, SIL's house) and he would associate the car with fun.

Other things we did were:

- continuously talk to him whilst driving (we found if he was sitting down he would throw up- whereas if he was sitting up, looking out a window or his attention on us, this would distract him.)

- put him in the back of OH's ute- where he would feel the breeze on his face.

- if we saw his mouth all watery we would pull over and let him out for a bit,

I was also told once that ginger biscuts help, which we found to be true.

Feed them to him just half an hour before travelling, just a few.

Good luck, I hope this help- and just remember, take small car rides to begin with.

Yes, and my dog has not grown out of it. Unfortunately she suffers from both ends.

My advice is do not feed before travel. I have used Blackmores Travel Calm tablets with some success given half a hour before travel.

The best thing so far has been half a dozen ginger nut biscuits, about half an hour before travel. It does stop one end.

Yes, and my dog has not grown out of it. Unfortunately she suffers from both ends.

My advice is do not feed before travel. I have used Blackmores Travel Calm tablets with some success given half a hour before travel.

The best thing so far has been half a dozen ginger nut biscuits, about half an hour before travel. It does stop one end.

LOL which end??

LOL which end??

The mouth end :)

My pap gets car sick, even when he has nothing in his tummy; he just brings up froth and slimy drool stuff instead of chunkies. The worst one ever was when the sod ate fresh horse poo, and then proceeded to chuck that up in hte car; double whammy :)

He is now just over one and was not growing out of it, tho we did extend the travel distance to 5 klms before he chucked....It was sad as he loves going in the car :rofl:

BUT I have just been trying out Rescue remedy and it seems to be working. No drool ( drool used to start at 500m down the road), and only a little chuck after 10 klms!!! Some times none at all even. I give 2 drops 15 mins prior. I have no idea how this is working, but it seems like it is. Even the vet is amazed as he is a cronic chucker, and we were just about to do the drug route with him.

Previously I had tried different positions in car/ aircon on/off / with/without a doggy friend/ window up/down ...you name it I tried it.

Worth a try maybe?

Edited by kymbo

okiee thanks for the advise everyone

so in conclusion more than likely he will just grow out of it!

I think so. My dogs are excellent car travellers, even though the retriever as a small puppy (15 weeks) used to whimper each time I would put her in the car and threw up once. The Elkhound loved it from day 1. I started taking the retriever on short drives (to the park, to puppy school) and now she likes it so much that she waits outside the car door to be let in.

But in spite of their apparant enjoyment, I always feed them light, and at least 1 hour before car travel. Keeping the windows down is a good idea, except in peak summer when I tend to run the AC full blast.

to get my girl was a 2 hr drive, so i was nervous as alll buggery about car sickness. she didnt get any :thumbsup: however, after a few weeks of always taking her in the car, she did get sick once. never again.

wish i could help you out. my girl has always been ok with the car.

I've had my chi about 4 months now. Go on at least weekly drives. if she is in the car she always vomits, even if is a short ride., but in a crete in the back of the ute, or being in the back of the ute she is absolutly fine. Only problem is that the ute is my partners, so most of the time i dont have access to it.

okiee thanks for the advise everyone

so in conclusion more than likely he will just grow out of it!

I think so. My dogs are excellent car travellers, even though the retriever as a small puppy (15 weeks) used to whimper each time I would put her in the car and threw up once. The Elkhound loved it from day 1. I started taking the retriever on short drives (to the park, to puppy school) and now she likes it so much that she waits outside the car door to be let in.

But in spite of their apparant enjoyment, I always feed them light, and at least 1 hour before car travel. Keeping the windows down is a good idea, except in peak summer when I tend to run the AC full blast.

I have a pdf explaining the heimlich and also cpr on dogs if you would like it. It is too big to attach here but I am happy to email it if anyone wants to pm me their email. :rolleyes:

ive always wanted to put the windows down but im shit scared that hs gunna jump out!

Lomani is a chucker but we have worked out ways around it. This started from being a pup, but didn't seem to get any better on it's own. It was funny too as she could drive an hour and be fine one day, but go 10 minutes up the road and spew on another. This made us think it was more that she was getting herself wound up, more than a true car sickness.

We were told to associate the car with fun things more so did things like playing games in the car when it was sitting in the carport. Even fed her dinner in it a few times and within just a week or 2 she improved out of sight. We've had only a couple of spews since then and they have been times when we were doing long drives on windy roads. Generally, if we see she is getting drooly then we put the window down and that helps. Also making sure you are driving very sedately if doing windy stuff. Not feeding beforehand seems to help, but it is amazing how she can find something to spew up if she wants to even it has been 5 hours + since she was fed. A ginger tablet half an hour before we leave seemed to help too.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!

ive always wanted to put the windows down but im shit scared that hs gunna jump out!

Use a car harness with a short lead (they can be adjusted) which lock into the seat belt buckle. That way the dogs can reach the window but can't jump out. Also, I don't put the windown all the way down.